Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to thank everyone on the great input and info that's on this forum! I've decided on Cobra longs for exhaust,Metzeler for tires. Now will I need to get a fuel management system and different air box-filter when the exhaust is installed? Also heard about a management system that adapts automatically to any additions that one makes to the motorcycle.Anyone heard of this? Cost is around $500.00 for it. Do not know the name of the product as I heard about second hand.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes, I suspect it's the Cobra FI200R Powerpro as well.

I haven't seen any reviews yet, but I just ordered one, along with a set of Hard Krome Sideburners and a Barons big air kit. So I'll let you know once I get it fitted. (I'm still trying to figure the best way to objectively assess the difference of each, and which order to install them... I might start a separate topic to get some tips and opinions.)

The one helpful comment I did see was a HD owner who cancelled his order after the guys at Cobra told him he wouldn't notice such a dramatic difference from his existing FI2000R, so replacing an existing system was not a wise investment unless you are planning more serious engine mods later.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I would like to thank everyone on the great input and info that's on this forum! I've decided on Cobra longs for exhaust,Metzeler for tires. Now will I need to get a fuel management system and different air box-filter when the exhaust is installed? Also heard about a management system that adapts automatically to any additions that one makes to the motorcycle.Anyone heard of this? Cost is around $500.00 for it. Do not know the name of the product as I heard about second hand.
You can get the PC-V with the auto-tuner that is supposed to automatically adjust the values based upon an oxygen sensor that you have to install in the pipes. I had the PC-V for a while, but never had it properly tuned to the bike. The auto-tune requires a nipple to be welded into at least one of the pipes for the oxygen sensor. I believe you can also get a small LCD screen for it as well that will give you all of the stats, as well as change between 2 different maps depending on what kind of performace you want.

·
Registered
950 Posts
No, you do not have to get a new air kit and fuel processor for installing pipes. But, if you add an air kit later, you will need a fuel processor. There are two systems that adjust fuel/air mixture automatically IAW atmospheric conditions.

1st :Fi2000 POWRPRO from Cobra. I found one on Amazon for $460. Here is a video link (http://bikerschoice.com/videos/fi2000-powrpro)

2d: PowerCommander V ($369) + Autotune Accessory ($260) Then you have to weld an O2 sensor bung in your pipes. (http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/powercommander_v.aspx?mk=8&mdl=59&yr=17-015&pcVersion=PCV&PartNum=17-015)

There are several makes of fuel processors that you can tune yourself for significantly less money. Brand names include Cobra, Dynojet, Dobek and Bulley.

Welcome to the forum, post some pics of the bike :cool:

·
Registered
55 Posts
You can get the PC-V with the auto-tuner that is supposed to automatically adjust the values based upon an oxygen sensor that you have to install in the pipes. I had the PC-V for a while, but never had it properly tuned to the bike. The auto-tune requires a nipple to be welded into at least one of the pipes for the oxygen sensor. I believe you can also get a small LCD screen for it as well that will give you all of the stats, as well as change between 2 different maps depending on what kind of performace you want.
I should also comment that I somewhat disagree with the requirement for an aftermarket fuel processor. And before all of the responses, I've read it all and tried it all. I've swapped my pipes for V&H (that I've modified, so they are even less restrictive) and swapped my intake, first with a hypercharger then with my own creation. I've tried the PC-V, and never had any favorable results with any of the 8-9 available maps for it (as of 2 years ago). I sold it, and replaced it with the V&H fuel-pak, which is currently in my toolbox with the rest of the parts taken off of my ride.

My experiences with any of the fuel-mappers is this:

1. Fuel mileage reduced from 45-48ish to 32ish
2. A lot of missing, especially on heavy throttle
3. The only time my FI light came on was with one. (took it off, and the
light went off)

The real story on how the power-commanders, fuel-paks, cobra whatevers, etc... work is that they have a preset "map" that increase or decrease fuel input at preset rpm/throttle position values. They take no consideration to ambient temperature, humidity, or engine temp. The bike's PCM does all of this. I believe if you increase the input and output relatively equally, it's all the same.

The end story: I run mine with the factory fuel maps, and it runs amazing. It smells like it's running rich, but I avg 47 mpg (and I'm not gentle on the throttle) Everyone needs to make their own choice, but I believe that the "stage 3" or whatever the he!! everyone calls it is not necessary. Although, my homemade intake utilizes the factory air sensor inside the clean-air part of the intake.

Just my experience....and my $.02. And I'm sure that there will be strong opinions contrary to mine.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Powerpro initial impression...

I installed cobra longs as well as the Cobra power-pro. I got the controller because I plan on installing a BAK in short time (For now I have the KN drop in filter). One of the key points for me on the auto tune was the fact that I can add mods as I go and it should adjust as needed and dyno/tuning becomes expensive and I live in New England so, with all ambient temperature changes I thought I’d be constantly adjusting pots on the standard Fi2000 so, I pulled the trigger on the new auto tune. I think the power-pro will pay for itself, we'll see.

I've only been running with these mods installed for 400mi. so, not enough time for a full review although, my initial impressions were/are...

well, the initial "learn" went sort of strange, when I fired it up and took it for a spin, the bike felt like it was "hunting?" not sure how else to describe that. Also she had a strange sort of rough idle as well. I took it home and was contemplating on taking it off but, I sent an email to tech support at Cobra. Got this in reply...

"what we need to do is, try running the bike pretty hard or go thru the gears a few times and see if the bike come around right now. Usually the harder your ride once it first installed, the quicker the unit is learning and you should be good to go after that. Do you still have a solid red light after the bike has started? if so, we know the unit is working. But try running it pretty hard at first and then let me know.
Thanks a lot and have a great day."

Well, I'm thinking to myself at this point.... :rolleyes: riiiiiight! So, here I go, I'm going to give it a shot. I fired it up and took it down a quiet straight away ripped 5 gears through the power band and then came to a stop, and…. No rough idle…hmmmm. Headed back towards the house under regular cruising conditions and had a much smoother power band, feels great. Haven’t had any problems since.

Still monitoring MPG, haven’t noticed much of a difference. Overall the butt dyno feels a power difference :) and I’m happy with the outcome. Did everything myself. The Cobra’s….they sound great. I added smartpartz baffles along with the stock performance core baffles. Nice rumble but, not over the top. I leave for work at 6AM so, the smartpartz were installed out of courtesy for the neighbors. They’re easy enough to remove if I want to turn it up a little.

I was thinking about giving a full review after I install the BAK and get some mileage on her.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts