Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start out by saying I had a hip replacement 7 years ago. Even in the car i find it hard to last very long without the right side of my butt and my tailbone getting ungodly sore. The stock seat left me feeling sore after an hour in the saddle so i started searching. 1st purchase was a saddlemen gel solo seat...took a 1 hour ride..off it came and on to ebay and sold. 2nd purchase was the kawasaki OEM gel seat...took a 1 hour ride..off it came and on to ebay. 3rd purchase was the Airhawk cushion...took a 1 hour ride and i think i found the solution to my butt problem lol. I was a little apprehensive about how it would look on the bike...it actually forms quite nice to the stock seat and being black it really does not stand out like i thought it would it rather blends with the seat. I would highly recommend this item though a bit pricey.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
I agree. I find that it is the best solution so far. I hid mine under an Alaskan Bear hide seat cover........LOL

·
Registered
39 Posts
Which Airhawk cushion did you get? Medium ...Large ...

It appears that Airhawk makes a number of different cushions which I'm sure fit almost any bike.

Which is the best one for the Vulcan 900 classic ?

·
Registered
273 Posts
air hawk

Just curious if anyone who has/had an air hawk had ever bought one of the Wally World Gel Seats for $19.95 first? I saw an entry on here after I bought my bike this spring to try one and I really like it. Wonder if it's worth spending another $100 for the air hawk if it's really that much better?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
it is really that much better.

Just curious if anyone who has/had an air hawk had ever bought one of the Wally World Gel Seats for $19.95 first? I saw an entry on here after I bought my bike this spring to try one and I really like it. Wonder if it's worth spending another $100 for the air hawk if it's really that much better?

C

·
0 Posts
I opted to try the butt buffer before our 600 mile round trip to N.C. this past weekend. I have to stop about every 150-170 miles for fuel and ALL the fuel stops were well welcomed. By the time we got home my butt HURT!

So now I don't know what I'll do.

I guess I am going to look into putting gel into the stock seat before purchasing the airhawk (which I don't like the looks of) or buying another seat.

To many issues to deal with. Uncomfortable seat, short sissybar, stock mufflers, ISO grips on the way to replace the plastic ones, highway pegs, trunk bag.

And now the wife is suggesting we should of bought a wing.

But then we wouldn't have the biggest and baddest V twin.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Have try one of those 100 dollars pads there really kind of hurt, So after a little bit of research went with the Corbin and couldn't be happier. Can now spend hours in this seat and like Corbin says the longer you sit in it the better it feels.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Which Airhawk cushion did you get? Medium ...Large ...

It appears that Airhawk makes a number of different cushions which I'm sure fit almost any bike.

Which is the best one for the Vulcan 900 classic ?
Bought the medium which is 14 X 14 inches fits perfect on the stock seat.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I also use the Airhawk with a sheepskin pad on top. The sheepskin adds a lot of comfort, hides the Airhawk and prevents any heat buildup in the gel seat.

I have a broken tailbone that never seems to heal and this setup works best for me. The stock seat had too much crown in the middle that put a lot of pressure on the tailbone. The gel seat is a little flatter.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I just ordered an Air Hawk for my Custom. From the chart that they have on their website it says the medium is the right size. Purchased mine off eBay but haven't received it yet, should be in the end of the week.

·
Registered
35 Posts
After a 60-mile roundtripper (30 out - milkshake break - 30 back) my wife said the stock seat had to go. I got the Mustang vintage (no driver backrest). She loves it. I'm finding that while it has more cushion and lower back support it presses harder on the back of my legs. Can anyone who has one comment on how well it conforms over time?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I had the same problem...exactly... I only let it go on for a couple hundred miles tho so I cannot answer your question. I went back to the stock seat and the airhawk. sold the mustang with the bike as a second seat.

I'm finding that ....bv it presses harder on the back of my legs. Can anyone who has one comment on how well it conforms over time?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I also use the Airhawk with a sheepskin pad on top. The sheepskin adds a lot of comfort, hides the Airhawk and prevents any heat buildup in the gel seat..
Where can i get the sheep skin and does it come in black ?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Alaska Leather, however, if there is an IKEA store around you they have sheepskin pelts that you could make your own out of but not black.

http://www.alaskaleatheronline.com/servlet/StoreFront

I have a black medium but a word of caution. I got caught in a rain and the sheepskin got soaked. I had to toss it in a dryer at a hotel and it came out a little smaller than a medium. Wool shrinks.

·
Registered
445 Posts
They sell two different sizes of sheep skin rugs at most Sam Clubs In the rug section hope this helps.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Air hawk

I had the stock seat "sculpted" by a local upholstery shop to be like the mustang and they added 3/4 inch of jell in the seat. It was all a waste of money, I put the air hawk back on. Ugly but functional.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts