Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Fellow Vulcan Riders,

I recently purchased my first bike, a 2009 Vulcan 900 Custom. I am 6'3" and 250lbs, so the stock bar is a big strain on my back and shoulders while riding. I am looking to replace the bar, without having to replace the stock cable set. I have contacted several aftermarket vendors, as well as the dealership where I bought the bike, and everyone claims they "don't know" the fitment specs for the stock bike. Can anyone provide the maximum bar specs for aftermarket bars that will work with the stock cables (please include bar circumference)? I would like to go with a mini-ape hanger style. I will very much appreciate the information and help.

Thanks in advance!

-R.P.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
The Custom's cables are shorter than the Classic/LT, so it's hard to go much higher at all without new cables. You can add some risers though (Genmar x11, or some from Chuckster's Customs) that add about 2 1/2" rise, 1 1/4" pull back... that's what I did, and it has relieved my stretch greatly. FWIW, I'm 6'3", ~260 as well.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
I just got done installing 10.5" apes on a friend's custom with no cable mods needed, just a small re-route. You can go up to 10.5" tall.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks Hayes and Pretzel for the great feedback.

Hayes - Was your install on a 2009 (if not what year)? And can you tell me the brand and model (weblink if possible) of the bars? Detailed bar specs would be appreciated as well (Pullback, Rise, Width, Center Width).

Thanks again guys.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Thanks Hayes and Pretzel for the great feedback.

Hayes - Was your install on a 2009 (if not what year)? And can you tell me the brand and model (weblink if possible) of the bars?

Thanks again guys.
it was an 09 Custom and I can't tell you the model of the bars. They were ape hangers style though...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts