Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody! So my main complaint about my 2004 Vulcan 500 other then gas mileage (which seems to be only 20mpg??) is that I’m a bigger guy and when I’m sitting on it I’m pretty sure the shocks get fully compressed or just about there.

I plan on keeping this bike for 1-2 years as my main bike (building credit and saving money, that new Harley Streetfighter and 1250 Custom are stunning as is the Triumph Bobber Black And Thruxton R)

And in realization of that, While I’m working on losing weight as that takes some time, was really hoping someone could point me towards some stiffer shocks that will better carry my weight that don’t cost an arm and a leg

As always, Biker Bill your input is always much appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Good question about aftermarket shocks.

I haven't found the need to modify the spring rate except possibly when I ride 2-up with my older son. At that point the bike is overloaded by a significant amount and does not handle well. (As you noticed in the other thread we were weighing in over 400lbs plus all our gear. He has grown a bit since then so we can no longer ride together because of this.)

When riding solo (most of the time) I find that with the springs preloaded to the Max position bottoming out is not a problem except on the roughest roads. I dress-out at about 215lbs when wearing my riding gear.

Once I weighed Hidalgo and I on some truck scales. I believe that we were a bit over 800lbs. Max weight rating is 871lbs so we were very close. I venture to guess that when I pack for a big trip (like I will in a few weeks) that I am at that maximum weight.

If anyone has found an acceptable replacement shock/spring please post it here for all to see.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good question about aftermarket shocks.

I haven't found the need to modify the spring rate except possibly when I ride 2-up with my older son. At that point the bike is overloaded by a significant amount and does not handle well. (As you noticed in the other thread we were weighing in over 400lbs plus all our gear. He has grown a bit since then so we can no longer ride together because of this.)

When riding solo (most of the time) I find that with the springs preloaded to the Max position bottoming out is not a problem except on the roughest roads. I dress-out at about 215lbs when wearing my riding gear.

Once I weighed Hidalgo and I on some truck scales. I believe that we were a bit over 800lbs. Max weight rating is 871lbs so we were very close. I venture to guess that when I pack for a big trip (like I will in a few weeks) that I am at that maximum weight.

If anyone has found an acceptable replacement shock/spring please post it here for all to see.

I was looking at some gzyf shocks as they are a good price, but as long as the eye to eye distance and the size of the eye is the same any should really fit right??

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
The Center-to-Center measurement and mounting hole diameter are important criteria. Spring rate, and spring diameter are others. Don't forget mounting stud length too.

I have not looked into a replacement but those would be items high on the list to match. Have you got contact information on this product? Give them a shout. Maybe they have already done the math. :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Center-to-Center measurement and mounting hole diameter are important criteria. Spring rate, and spring diameter are others. Don't forget mounting stud length too.

I have not looked into a replacement but those would be items high on the list to match. Have you got contact information on this product? Give them a shout. Maybe they have already done the math. :)

Hadn’t thought about trying to contact them I’ll do that and thanks for those measurements I’ll see if I can figure out those measurements without taking the bike apart (ideally would rather wait until I have the new ones ordered), maybe I’m over exaggerating my need for stiffer shocks in my head I don’t think I’ve bottomed out or anything but being in FL everything’s pretty much flat

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
being in FL everything’s pretty much flat
That sounds like the terrain out here on the Llano Estacado plateau. But we're 3,500 ft higher. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts