Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Honestly, were you smiling when you posted that??

What is it that fuels the inter-brand hatred?

The modern build quality of HD sucks. The new dual cool motors leak. The brakes have leaked for years, a main dealer tech said recently that they can't keep up with the warranty claims, yet people keep buying them because it says Harley Davidson on the tank.

It is a lesson in marketing that Harley have created such a fantastic reputation and yet now produce such a terrible product. Imho.

I blame the accountants that want ever more profit.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
My brothers 09 Ultra Classic had 2 recalls right after he got it, one for defective front tire, and one for the fuel tank mounts. Then had to go back to the shop 6 times in the 1st year for failing to start twice, shifter falling off once, and stripped once, and rear brake switch, wiring harness and light assembly twice. He also had to have the seat recovered the 2nd year because it had a fist size hole in it in 2 places, neither at the seam. This is not my idea of what $23,000 should buy.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Exactly the reason I sold my 2012 Fatboy, which I had from new.

Both brake reservoirs leaked, battery failed, frame started to rust, speedo fogged up from the inside, the LED bank of warning lights on the tank failed, clutch cable seized, all within the first 18months of ownership.

Those are just the ones I can remember. BUT, all of it was fixed under warranty, although the second lot of brakes leaked again after about a month, at which point I bought the Voyager.

The Kawasaki has without doubt better build quality, even with the hot running and the clunky gearbox, but there is something it lacks when compared to the Harley. I have no idea what it is, or how to quantify it, and if it has me hooked on Harleys then I'm sure it will have the same effect on others. It might even be the simplicity of the Harley design with the air-cooled pushrod engine, and the awesome look of the machines. It is the reason I bought the older Road King, which after ten years, looks as good as it did the day it was made, and it always makes me smile when I ride it, something I can't say about the Voyager.

For now I am happy to have the best of both, just don't ask me to choose only one for ever.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I'd put my v2k up against any of my hardleys including my electraglide and state factly kaw makes a better bike. the v2k motor is infinitely superior. The frame, suspension, brakes, wiring n electrics, not to mention the engineering, serviceability, add on infinum. It is infinitely a better bilt machine.
The hardleys a hardley and their ok at best, they are just not a better piece of machinery is all. 16 layers of krome n paint sure look good, but underneath it is still farm grade tech, performance and service life. I have em, I ride em, I enjoy em for what they are, but I don't worship them as they don't even come close to measuring up. poncho

·
Registered
386 Posts
I'd put my v2k up against any of my hardleys including my electraglide and state factly kaw makes a better bike. the v2k motor is infinitely superior. The frame, suspension, brakes, wiring n electrics, not to mention the engineering, serviceability, add on infinum. It is infinitely a better bilt machine.
The hardleys a hardley and their ok at best, they are just not a better piece of machinery is all. 16 layers of krome n paint sure look good, but underneath it is still farm grade tech, performance and service life. I have em, I ride em, I enjoy em for what they are, but I don't worship them as they don't even come close to measuring up. poncho
I think that sums it up nicely, well said.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts