Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow- where to start...
I had been riding a '99 1100 Shadow Aero, for the past 7 years. After my last multi-state ride with friends (most of whom riding Harleys) I decided to upgrade to something with a little more muscle. I rode a street glide, a soft tail heritage classic, a VTX, a C90, and C109R. While I liked some of them, none of them really impressed me with fit, or polish, or ride.

I prowled this, and other Kawasaki forum sites for a couple of months before deciding to get a V2K, but couldn't find one at a local dealership to test ride. I had my reservations (read: misgivings) about it with all the talk of:
- being too heavy
- being hard to handle in traffic
- poor handling in parking lots
- massive torque / tractor-like
- not a bike for the feint of heart
- blah, blah...
So- as crazy as it sounds, I found an '07 LT out of state, and bought it without ever having ridden it, (or any other rogue variant).

I put my first 100 miles on her last Sunday, and another 60 miles Tuesday. I now have a couple hundred miles with her, and I gotta tell you: I am totally excited about having/riding this massive, superbly handling beast, I can hardly stand it!

After my second ride, I got off the bike, and walked around it- a big grin on my face. The V2K is so much more fun to ride, and no harder to handle than my Aero (@ -100lb), I had to wonder if this really was the bike I'd been reading about on the forums. I have to work my Honda back and forth a few times in front of my 2 car garage in order to get it turned around; however, I can maneuver "the beast" much more easily in the same space.

I am VERY pleased with this solid, great looking bike, and know I made the right choice in buying it. With only a few modifications from here, it will have a place in my garage, and under my butt for years to come. And at 6'2" / 195 lbs, this bike fits me nicely, with plenty of leg room.

If someone is considering this bike, and has been riding a scooter for a while in the 600 lb. range, I'd say: don't give it a second thought- GO FOR IT!

I posted a couple of pictures of it in the group sticky thread for V2K pics.

The few things to change soon:
1. In the limited riding I've done so far, I can tell that I'll be replacing the seat- with either a Mustang, or the Russell seat, not sure which one yet. (Tallannie: How long did it take to get your seat back from Russell?)

2. The Hard Krome 3"straights- these big pipes look terrific on it, but they bark a little too sharply for my comfort while trying to sustain a constant cruising speed. I'll keep them, but I want to pad the sound a tad. Per Paul's suggestion, I've ordered some "Moose fiberglass muffler packing" to wrap around the HK pipes current, stock baffles. ( I'll post a before/after audio clip of the pipes.)

3. The last thing I may do, is install a set of handlebar pull-back risers. The bars are a pretty good set for me, but a couple of inches closer should be about perfect.

Any advice on these items for a new owner will be appreciated.
I have many questions still about the beast, and look forward to getting to know you folks, and passing it forward as I learn.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Glad you like your V2K ... :)

Took about 6 weeks for the Russell Daylong seat... but that was in August ... this time of year I suspect the turn around is faster ... like 2 weeks maybe?

I bought a spare V2K seat off Ebay however so I could keep riding... :)

I also needed pull back risers... I think I got Phatt 2 s....? you can check which are compatible with your V2K....the bars come awful close to the speedo housing ...and hit it if you get the wrong risers.

Wow- where to start...
I had been riding a '99 1100 Shadow Aero, for the past 7 years. After my last multi-state ride with friends (most of whom riding Harleys) I decided to upgrade to something with a little more muscle. I rode a street glide, a soft tail heritage classic, a VTX, a C90, and C109R. While I liked some of them, none of them really impressed me with fit, or polish, or ride.

I prowled this, and other Kawasaki forum sites for a couple of months before deciding to get a V2K, but couldn't find one at a local dealership to test ride. I had my reservations (read: misgivings) about it with all the talk of:
- being too heavy
- blah, blah...
So- as crazy as it sounds, I found an '07 LT out of state, and bought it without ever having ridden it, (or any other rogue variant).

I put my first 100 miles on her last Sunday, and another 60 miles Tuesday. I now have a couple hundred miles with her, and I gotta tell you: I am totally excited about having/riding this massive, superbly handling beast, I can hardly stand it!

After my second ride, I got off the bike, and walked around it- a big grin on my face. The V2K is so much more fun to ride, and no harder to handle than my Aero (@ -100lb), I had to wonder if this really was the bike I'd been reading about on the forums. I have to work my Honda back and forth a few times in front of my 2 car garage in order to get it turned around; however, I can maneuver "the beast" much more easily in the same space.

I am VERY pleased with this solid, great looking bike, and know I made the right choice in buying it. With only a few modifications from here, it will have a place in my garage, and under my butt for years to come. And at 6'2" / 195 lbs, this bike fits me nicely, with plenty of leg room.

If someone is considering this bike, and has been riding a scooter for a while in the 600 lb. range, I'd say: don't give it a second thought- GO FOR IT!

1. In the limited riding I've done so far, I can tell that I'll be replacing the seat- with either a Mustang, or the Russell seat, not sure which one yet. (Tallannie: How long did it take to get your seat back from Russell?)

2. The Hard Krome 3"straights- these big pipes look terrific on it, but they bark a little too sharply for my comfort while trying to sustain a constant cruising speed. I'll keep them, but I want to pad the sound a tad. Per Paul's suggestion, I've ordered some "Moose fiberglass muffler packing" to wrap around the HK pipes current, stock baffles. ( I'll post a before/after audio clip of the pipes.)

3. The last thing I may do, is install a set of handlebar pull-back risers. The bars are a pretty good set for me, but a couple of inches closer should be about perfect.

I have many questions still about the beast, and look forward to getting to know you folks, and passing it forward as I learn.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I also got a new VN2000 Classic about 10 days ago. I have some factory studless saddle bags on the way. I have also ordered the National Cycle heavy duty 2-up windshield w/hrdw. I also want one of those simple throtle lock devices that allows driver to stretch/relax his right hand briefly while cruising. Mine is silver and has 375miles as of this writing. at 6'4" 250 I feel right at home.

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Mustang seat

Kev, I have had my 2006 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT since May 07, presently have just under 50,000 kms on my bike and runs like a top. I purchased a Mustang seat for it with a backrest two years ago. I had it on the bike for 250 kms and removed it and never put it back on. Why, you sit about an 1 1/2" higher in the mustang than the stock seat which I didn't like and the support under you upper legs between your butt and knees is not as good as the stock seat. As for comfort I didn't find it any better up front or in back according to my wife.

I run Vance and Hines Power Shots with a K&N filter and Power Commander module. They work nice together and it sounds great. The Power Commander map can be downloaded right from their site, also dynoed it and the mapping hardly changed.

Your going to go through tires like there's no tomorrow, and the rear tire is not an off the shelf item, so for long trips plan ahead.

As you, I also love this bike, its a blast to ride and have put it through its paces over the last 4 years, and am definitely glad I didn't get a Road King like my brother.

·
Registered
91 Posts
kev,
They aren't cheap but for comfort check out the Ultimate seats. I think if I could get two gas tanks on my 08 Classic I could ride non stop and never feel it with my Ultimate. You won't be sorry you spent the money.

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
I have owned my Beast for just over 1 year and have 25,353 miles on it. I put all of them on. Ultimate seat w/ backrest, Highway bars, Aux light bar in front, cup holder(a man's gotta have his coffee), Cobra 2 to 1 pipes, Cobra FI-2000 fuel processor, trailer hitch w/ light isolator, GPS/camera mount, and some other small stuff.

I feel the same way about my Beast that most others do. I'm really happy I got it and it will be the only bike I own until I have need of a trike cause I'm too old to hold this one up.

·
Registered
43 Posts
V2k story

Wow- where to start...

- being too heavy
- blah, blah...

Very similar story with my bike. I'd been riding VTX1300c past 3 years and I was impressed with that bike,but after some time wanted something bigger, heavier and more original than Honda ( plenty Honda bikes on each corner) I rode HD wide glide, fat bob, fat boy, Victory Kingpin, Jackpot , Yami Roadliner , but never had a chance to ride Vulcan 2000 bc when I found one in dealership was snowing hard ... I've spent so many hours online reading post, reviews, and was almost sure I want this bike bad bike really bad. On Jan 6 bought V2K 06 Limited with 1900 miles, 1000 miles away from my house, 1 week lates beast was sitting in my garage, but I rode it first time 3 days ago due to snow and cold temperatures. Unbelievable bike- great handling, fantastic riding position, plenty of power, exceptional finish . Decision has been made and my dear VTX found next happy owner 3 days ago. You guys ,on this forum helped me a lot making my choice without even riding it. Ride safe V-riders.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks All,
Coolpig, I like your sentiment (though I shudder to think about giving up riding a 2-wheeler).
it will be the only bike I own until I have need of a trike cause I'm too old to hold this one up.
I'll be looking into those Phat2"ers for sure, Annie. I wouldn't have thought about the speedo-housing getting in the way- thanks for that.

As for the seat, it mainly just seems hard, but I've been riding it when the temp is only in the upper 50s. It'll probably be a different story when summer comes, and it bakes in the clear Colorado afternoon a while. Maybe I'll put a piece of woolly sheepskin down to sit on, and see how that does for starters.

-Kev

·
Registered
81 Posts
cqt, I put a Brakeaway BAW-MCC on my 06 V2K Classic LT and love it, it engages with a thumb press, and disengages with a thumb click or use of the front brake, I like the front brake release option in emergency stop response cases and they have happened a few times. Not cheap at around $195 but a top quality product and fully adjustable, I wouldn't be without it on any long or short haul.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Hey Livin can you provide a link where found your BAW-MCC . Thanks, Bulldozer

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
As a cheaper alternative, I rode on an Airhawk cushion for a long time.. looks dorky but works pretty darn well and lets air circulate.... never used it, but I think sheepskin will heat up your posterior unacceptably ... lol....

Thanks All,

As for the seat, it mainly just seems hard, but I've been riding it when the temp is only in the upper 50s. It'll probably be a different story when summer comes, and it bakes in the clear Colorado afternoon a while. Maybe I'll put a piece of woolly sheepskin down to sit on, and see how that does for starters.

-Kev

·
Registered
616 Posts
caution!

cqt, I put a Brakeaway BAW-MCC on my 06 V2K Classic LT and love it, it engages with a thumb press, and disengages with a thumb click or use of the front brake, I like the front brake release option in emergency stop response cases and they have happened a few times. Not cheap at around $195 but a top quality product and fully adjustable, I wouldn't be without it on any long or short haul.
Livin,,, Please make sure that you contstantly monitor that CC , buddy of mine , had one like that & a screw came loose, jambed his thottle & took him down in a turn out of his driveway , he didnt get hurt physically, bike got uglied up & his pride severly tarnished.
As for the V2K, I am also in agreement , Ive logged 80,000+ mi on 3 of them & have had NO regrets . Likely half those miles were pulling a trailer too. I DO like MY Mustang seat, much better than factory !!! also I too have had it with M/C tires on the rear, Darkside @next tire install!
Interestingly though, FEW of my H-D riding friends are willing to try out the V2K???
Not too sure why?? Those who have , had little to report LOL!!!!!
BTW , Im with Annie on the sheepskin idea :(

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yes thanks, I had a concern at first about possible screws coming loose, but that has not been an issue in 4 years and 50K use. Only had to readjust the lock pressure once, blue lok-tite is also and option for the one or two screws which could cause an issue but proper tightening during installation is the key.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Thanks Livin i wonder if it will work over my Kuryakyn Grips ??? Man you are a fountain of knowledge.. Bulldozer

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yes it should, I have the Kuryakyn Flame Grips on my bike. Thanks for the comp, will help if and when I can, built my first mini bike when I was 10 years old. Live aboard boats, muscle cars and motorcycles have pretty well been my pation since then.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Very similar story with my bike. I'd been riding VTX1300c past 3 years and I was impressed with that bike,but after some time wanted something bigger, heavier and more original than Honda ( plenty Honda bikes on each corner) ...You guys ,on this forum helped me a lot making my choice without even riding it. Ride safe V-riders.
Amen to that Sznajders!
The good folks here walked me through a lot of the questions, and uncertainty I had, without me even asking.
And here I thought I was the only one here crazy enough to buy a big hoss like this without ever even throwing a leg over one! ;)

It's nice to have the company!

- K

1 - 20 of 23 Posts