Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought it with 1700 miles on it in April and now have over 7k.

I don't know what it is... maybe it has just now really gotten broken in but this bike seems to be running better than ever.

The last two rides this week have not been anything out of the ordinary but the engine seems so responsive.

I had the thought as if this 900 is like a horse, wanting to be ridden and willing to please. I wanted to tip it or feed it when I got home. :)

Maybe it is my age! The first few minutes of the ride, I feel like I'm being born again. I feel so blessed to have the opportunity to own a bike... this bike.

It is not the perfect bike and I am not the perfect rider, but it is perfect for this time in my life and I am going to take advantage of it.

If my attitude ever changed(doubt it would), I would sell it, but it keeps getting better with every ride. This has surprised me!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I wholeheartedly agree. My 900 is my first bike EVER and at this moment in time, I wouldn't trade it for anything!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

·
Registered
102 Posts
My 900 is my 4th bike, all the others were sports touring models. I love this bike more than the others combined! I find myself going into the garage at night in my pajamas just to see it, sit on it, or say goodnight!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Daboo311, I agree with every single word you said. I got my new to me 03 Meanstreak a the end o July with 20k km on it. It now has 25k. This is the first bike I have had in 30 years, and the first ever cruiser. I simply love it more every ride. I can stand and just look at it as well, it just impresses me more and more every day. Am not looking forward to putting it up for winter but such is life

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Daboo, I agree with you 100%. Though the 9 isn't my first bike, the fastest bike nor even the most comfortable, it does have a magic to which draws you to it. Constantly calling you to ride it and ride it we do.. Mine too, seems to run better with each day of riding... As long as we enjoy riding, the season will never end.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine is stock.

I don't have a lot of experience with different bikes but it seems the 903cc has plenty power. I'm not concerned about racing someone but it will get up to speed lickity split. It is well balanced. Better on the curves than the honda 750 I used to have.

We had a cold front move thru recently and the weather has been very nice. It had me wondering if a pressure change or if lower humidity would come into play with the way the bike was running.

Here I am thinking about possibly having to sell for various reasons and it is running like dream. I've got almost 4000 miles on this oil change and expected it to start being clunky when shifting. Nope! Shifting is perfect. I'm not hearing much Kawasaki ticking at all. Could it be that the assemblers paid special attention to mine and I have the best motor they've ever built?

I believe I even like the full debaffled sound more than I would like any aftermarket pipes.

·
Registered
140 Posts
My 9 impresses my 3 HD Road King riding friends!...........how is that for an endorsement?
agree. A Harley dude turned me on to my 9 classic saying "if you don't buy it I am so choice is yours brother". He rode it and was impressed.

Hate to hear you might have to sell DB but I feel ya. Times are tough right know for a lot of folks. Do whats best for you and know you can always get another bike. Mine while loved is my 6th bike and each has been awesome in their own way.
Sport touring, old junkers, nicer crotch R., crappy wanna be... Lol :p
Ya know my bike life so far....

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Agree... Still impressed

Have to agree after 6000 miles I am still very pleased with my choice. As many I was concerned that the 900 would lack power, but even before I added some performance components it pulled to speed very well. I too am not looking to win any races, just want to get up to speed on the highway. Even at 70mph it's got plenty of punch to get around and up to 80+ if needed. My son has a Mean Streak 1500 and I can stay with him (he'll get to 60 faster, but not by much).

However, I bought the 900 for it's fit & feel. I am 6' 210lbs and the bike just fits me very well (handles great). To me this was paramount for my decision. Now that my wife is starting to ride 2 up with me it's even better. I would pick this bike again.... :D

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm out riding mine today for the first time in months (shoulder & knee surgery) and it feels great. The bike is so light and easy to maneuver. And has plenty of get up for me! Not trying to break any land speed records.

·
BOTM Winner, October/2012
291 Posts
You guys are crazy, the 900 is just a beginner bike you need to trade it in on something bigger........... J/K :p

i love my 900, fits me like a glove and the power is more than enough for me. had it for three years, its paid for, and its not going anywhere...

·
Registered
950 Posts
I just went over 21000 miles tonight. My 9' runs great around town, out on the twisties, and on weekend getaways. As for power, I have never had a problem keeping up with anybody. I get lots of looks, even from the HD fellas. I am happy with her. As has already been said, the bike fits me well and isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

·
Registered
64 Posts
best bike ever

I totally agree and am surprised. I came off a Vulcan 1500FI, tried a Voyager = too heavy, bought a 900SE and love it. It is well balanced and enough power to get the job done while the weight is enough to stay stable on the highway.

I must confess, I too go to the garage and take one more look before bed. I'm a retired Navy Pilot, so my bike is my plane and this one "fits" like my favorite flight jacket.

Here is a pix after installing a light bar and stock shorty windshield. Thanks to all you guys for helping me pick this bike and forum advice on accessories.

Bags are coming via UPS tomorrow; Oh Boy....:)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Daboo, I agree with you 100%. Though the 9 isn't my first bike, the fastest bike nor even the most comfortable, it does have a magic to which draws you to it. Constantly calling you to ride it and ride it we do.. Mine too, seems to run better with each day of riding... As long as we enjoy riding, the season will never end.
I can relate to the constantly calling you...

I try NOT to ride it and to get interested in something else. Next, I'm telling my wife I'll be back later. I rode it tonight chasing the sun for about 45 mins. enjoy the sunset. That was 45 mins of good medicine.

Add that up for the gas I used and it is pennies for something that makes me feel good.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I know exactly how u feel. My bike "woke up" twice. Around 10.000, and about 20,000. It just plain worked better. Seems like the more it's driven, the better it works.....There used to be an old sage around here....tons of advice...he said exactly that...the bike would "wake up" twice...it's happened.

I've had a very rough summer....not the best of years, I don't know what I would have done without my two-wheel therapy. The bike has been an absolute blessing.

(And this forum has helped keep my mind off stuff too)

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Two wheels take us from point A to point Z. It also takes us out of our element and then brings us back to ourselves. Once I'm away from the city hustle, I can see things in a different light and it helps give clarity.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Two wheels take us from point A to point Z. It also takes us out of our element and then brings us back to ourselves. Once I'm away from the city hustle, I can see things in a different light and it helps give clarity.
How true this statement resonates in today's life.... Once I get out of the city and into the winding back roads everything looks better. Great insight DaBoo. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have road rash on left part of my back. A bruise on my left hip and sure I bruised a rib. I am limping because my left foot is pretty sore because I started back exercising not realizing I hurt it when I laid the bike down a week ago.

http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29619

I've had two unfortunate incidents this year. The last time I totalled my Honda 750. This time was just a real freak incident.

The crazy thing... I am riding now with even more confidence and greater respect.

I have been riding for exactly 1 year and now have over 10,000 miles and 2 wrecks for experience.

My love of riding has not wavered. The wind hits my face and I thank God I'm alive and thank him for this freedom. Life is a precious gift and I believe God is willing to give us many things with which to learn this. I have been playing piano since I was 12. I get a feeling similar to riding when I'm playing.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts