Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone! I'm a BMW RT man. I just won novice 2nd place in a police motorcycle rodeo (cone course) on that bike if that tells you what I like to do :) The reason I'm here is because my friend sold me a 2007 VN900 classic with 32k miles on the clock for about $1,000. I am now on a mission to rid the bike of stuck bolts, scratches, rust, and years of neglect. It also has a stator oil leak due to someone using RV sealant goop instead of a gasket. These are not hard problems to solve and I'm gonna see this project through. I have a good budget and my vision is a classic, white walled, stock looking, chromed out, comfort cruiser that I can enjoy and take to bike shows. I'm not planning to ever win but I'd like to pick up a new hobby, take pride in this bike, and get out and meet new people. I'd also like to compete in police cone courses with a cruiser and not just my RT :) So, here's to that spirit!

Her name is Tiffani :)

Thanks,
Brent

This is the best before picture. I'll post an after shot once done with this project.

I've purchased 76 items for this bike. There are 47 tasks to perform. I am keeping track of my progress with the excel chart below:

PERCENT COMPLETE70.21%
DESCRIPTIONCOMPLETE?
ACCENT LIGHTINGFALSE
ADJUST SHIFTER POSITIONFALSE
AIR FILTER HIGH FLOWTRUE
BARON BIG AIR KITFALSE
BRAKE FLUIDTRUE
BRAKE PADSTRUE
BRAKE ROTORSTRUE
BRAKE STAINLESS FRONT LINETRUE
BRAKE STAINLESS REAR LINETRUE
COOLANTTRUE
CRASH GUARDFALSE
ECU FLASHFALSE
EXHAUSTFALSE
FLASHING BRAKE LIGHTTRUE
FORK BAGTRUE
FORK OILTRUE
FORK PROGRESSIVE SPRINGSTRUE
FORK SEALSTRUE
FULL WASH, WAX, AND DETAILTRUE
GREASE AXLESTRUE
GRIPS AND THROTTLE TUBETRUE
HANDLEBAR RISERSTRUE
HORNTRUE
IGNITION COILSTRUE
LITHIUM BATTERYTRUE
MISSING BOLTS AND SCREWSTRUE
OEM LEVERSTRUE
OEM MIRRORSTRUE
OIL CAPFALSE
OIL CHANGEFALSE
PAINT RADIATOR SHROUDTRUE
PAINT REAR BRAKE COVERTRUE
PAINT SWING ARMTRUE
POWER PULLEYSFALSE
PULSE COILFALSE
REAR CHROME TRIM BOLTSTRUE
SOLO SEATFALSE
SPARKPLUGSTRUE
SPEEDOMETER FACE PLATETRUE
STATORFALSE
STATOR GASKETFALSE
STEERING BEARINGSTRUE
SUSPENSION SET TO POSITION 6TRUE
SWING ARM BAGFALSE
TIRESTRUE
VALVE ADJUSTMENTTRUE
WINDSHIELDTRUE

Thanks for cheering me on!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Welcome to the site brentseay.

I haven't seen many 900's that color, it's a nice looking bike.

Have fun with the rebuild and keep posting updates.

Reactions: brentseay

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Welcome to the forum from North Carolina. Tiffani is a nice looking ride. Fortunately this model had virtually remained unchanged since its inception in 2006. This created a good amount of aftermarket accessories. Happy you decided to join us. Be well and Ride Safely.

·
Premium Member
2020 Vulcan LT
41 Posts
Hello everyone! I'm a BMW RT man. I just won novice 2nd place in a police motorcycle rodeo (cone course) on that bike if that tells you what I like to do :) The reason I'm here is because my friend sold me a 2007 VN900 classic with 32k miles on the clock for about $1,000. I am now on a mission to rid the bike of stuck bolts, scratches, rust, and years of neglect. It also has a stator oil leak due to someone using RV sealant goop instead of a gasket. These are not hard problems to solve and I'm gonna see this project through. I have a good budget and my vision is a classic, white walled, stock looking, chromed out, comfort cruiser that I can enjoy and take to bike shows. I'm not planning to ever win but I'd like to pick up a new hobby, take pride in this bike, and get out and meet new people. I'd also like to compete in police cone courses with a cruiser and not just my RT :) So, here's to that spirit!

Her name is Tiffani :)

Thanks,
Brent

What she looks like with clothes on:

View attachment 244605

What she looks like after one day of undressing her:

View attachment 244606
"2nd place in a police motorcycle rodeo" That is a respectable accomplishment. Congratulations.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spent yesterday cleaning wheels and scrubbing forks. I have ordered 49 separate items for this bike. I haven’t blown my budget, yet. But I do believe when all is said and done I’ll have just over $4,000 total in this bike.

I used angle grinder with brush attachment followed by mother’s polish and tin foil to remove the orange crap from the lower triple tree. I removed the windshield bracket as she will never have a windshield. Lastly, I spray painted the silver radiator, rear reservoir cover, and regulator cover high temp black.

Before polishing upper and lower trees.

After polishing.

BC85044A-745F-412C-9F36-48D42DE13FCB.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Looking Great. Do not know what you are replacing, but with the bike disassembled this far would be a good idea to replace the steering head bearings with an All Balls set. Also take the swing arm off and grease the bearings. Replace all coolant, fuel, and vacuum hoses. Maybe even a nice set of stainless steel brake lines.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looking Great. Do not know what you are replacing, but with the bike disassembled this far would be a good idea to replace the steering head bearings with an All Balls set. Also take the swing arm off and grease the bearings. Replace all coolant, fuel, and vacuum hoses. Maybe even a nice set of stainless steel brake lines.
yessir. I’ve got stainless front line, all new fluids, replacing a few hoses, power pulleys, all easily accessible gaskets, removing rust and repainting black parts. I doubt anyone will actually realize where my money went haha. But this is giving me a helluva education and will be my show bike pride and joy basically hand Assembled.

I will do the head bearings as you say. Bike has 32k on the clock. I know it’s due for everything.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Progress made today:

Removed gas tank
Removed spark plugs (tell me what you think of them, please)

Do I need to use anti-seize on NGK plugs?
UPDATE: NGK plugs have a coating on the threads and anti-seize is forbidden. 5 Things You Should Know About Spark Plugs | NGK Spark Plugs

Drained oil
Removed triple tree
Removed steering head bearings
Repainted rear brake reservoir cover
Repainted all black plastic covers
Repainted radiator and regulator cover

Issues found:

Both distributors were corroded something awful. One of the spark plug boot's wires snapped off almost instantly. Now, I have to replace both distributor packages.

Also, the grime and mildew you see in the picture wipes off fairly easily. The rubber under the grime appears soft and supple to my fingers. I do have a question: how do I clean this crap off? Damp paper towels one by one? I know I can't spray this junk off with a hose, soap, and water at this point.

Lastly, I think I may have broken the oil drain plug bolt washer. See the picture of the bolt. I believe this is a crush washer and the drain bolt. However, the washer was so stuck on the bolt that it made me believe the bolt and washer were welded together at the factory. I am using a KN-303 filter and 12mm crush washer.

I will be glad to be out of the tear down, degrease/clean, and identify broken crap stage and into the next stage of bolting on nice new parts. Cannot wait to get back on the road again with everything new/upgraded.

I used a toothbrush to scrub all the mess off the frame and cables. It has no rustor cracked rubber from what I can tell.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Looks like things are going along nicely. That first pic shows quite a difference of before and after condition of the frame. Looks like this bike was left outside. As far as the plugs. They look okay. I always use a little antiseize on spark plugs because of the dissimilar metals. Cleaning the grime is just a long messy job. Usually involving toothbrushes. Since you have this bike at this stage, would disconnect all electrical connections and check for corrosion bent or pushed back pins and then repack with dielectric grease. Trying to prevent a connection issue after it is all back together. That drain plug washer doesn’t look like OEM. I use crush washers too. Don’t forget to check and lube the swing arm bearings. So take a few deep breaths and continue along. When you turn that corner to assembly, all will feel great again. Be well.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like things are going along nicely. That first pic shows quite a difference of before and after condition of the frame. Looks like this bike was left outside. As far as the plugs. They look okay. I always use a little antiseize on spark plugs because of the dissimilar metals. Cleaning the grime is just a long messy job. Usually the involving toothbrushes. Since you have this bike at this stage, would disconnect all electrical connections and check for corrosion bent or pushed back pins and then repack with dielectric grease. Trying to prevent a connection issue after it is all back together. That drain plug washer doesn’t look like OEM. I use crush washers too. Don’t forget to check and lube the swing arm bearings. So take a few deep breaths and continue along. When you turn that corner to assembly, all will feel great again. Be well.
Thanks for this. I’ve taken off the stock exhaust and will be replacing with hard krome 2.5” American classic ii. There was no gasket on the exhaust and I’m wondering if the new exhaust comes with new gaskets? Also, Got my baron pulleys and new stator gasket today.

The stator is leaking from the wire grommet. Do you recommend buying new rocks stator for $150 (so I can sleep peacefully) or do you recommend I try and permatex “right stuff” it to death?

I will lube the rear swing arm. What grease do you recommend for the steering bearings, swing arm, etc?

Lastly, you’re talking check the electrical connections under the gas tank?

Thanks again! This is gonna be one bad cone crushing, curve taking, classy street grinding motor!

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Don’t know if new exhaust comes with gaskets. Probably not. Like buying headers for a car, no gaskets included. The stator seems like a judgement call. Have heard of them going bad at your mileage. My feelings when I am in a project is, do it all now so will not have to do it again later. Members here has spoken highly of Rick’s stators. He makes one with extra windings for just a few bucks more. Yes, all electrical connections you can access. As far as swingarm and steering bearings grease, I would use a quality high temperature wheel bearing grease. They are two things that you do not want to take apart again. Like I said I always go all in and replace all hardware with stainless steel where I can, if something looks on the fence I replace it, if there is any upgrade available I do it. Guess that is why my projects take longer and cost more. But it makes me feel better and safer when riding.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don’t know if new exhaust comes with gaskets. Probably not. Like buying headers for a car, no gaskets included. The stator seems like a judgement call. Have heard of them going bad at your mileage. My feelings when I am in a project is, do it all now so will not have to do it again later. Members here has spoken highly of Rick’s stators. He makes one with extra windings for just a few bucks more. Yes, all electrical connections you can access. As far as swingarm and steering bearings grease, I would use a quality high temperature wheel bearing grease. They are two things that you do not want to take apart again. Like I said I always go all in and replace all hardware with stainless steel where I can, if something looks on the fence I replace it, if there is any upgrade available I do it. Guess that is why my projects take longer and cost more. But it makes me feel better and safer when riding.
I’m the same way. Any thing that looks at me wrong gets replaced.

Got stator out. See pics below. Trying to diagnose where leak came from. My guess is the grommet. There’s sealant on the outside but not inside. I’ve heard best idea is to use permatex right stuff on the sides of the grommet AND shove some in where the wires go through the rubber.

What’s your suggestion for this to be one time cureall for this leak? Also, I don’t know what a good stator looks like.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
I don’t know if you can tell if a stator is bad just by looking. There is a checking procedure in the manual when the stator is removed. Guess loading up the grommet with sealer is the best way to go.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No one has ever mentioned the pulsing coil for the stator housing. I thought the only grommet was for the stator. There's a whole nother grommet for the pulsing coil and the pulsing coil does not come with the stator. It's $85 from kawa. I'm gonna check its grommet for damage. But now I'm worried the pulsing coil grommet will leak.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Back on track. All parts ordered. Fork tubes given to local shop for them to remove the rusted fork seal caps. I got the second set of steering bearings in. I compared the top race now to what it was when I removed the original ones. It is the same and the bearing is confirmed bottomed out. I don't know why the plastic cover flops around. Perhaps I'm missing an oring or rubber washer but I don't think so. I followed the diagram showing assembly as well. I can shake the triple tree all I want. There is zero play and the bars flop full lock to lock pretty easily.

Next item is mounting/torquing handlebars, draining brake fluid, installing stainless lines, and then getting the gas tank back on. I'm still waiting on a new pulse coil.

I also installed an LED brake light bulb that flashes 3 times then goes solid. No hacking into the brake circuit, etc.

Moving forward.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Performing valve adjustment myself. Bike has 32k miles and after seeing the level of neglect on her so far I guarantee these valves have never been adjusted.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Rear cylinder exhaust valves need new shims as their clearance is too tight. Pretty easy job with this much off the bike.

I have ordered 71 parts for this bike. According to my spreadsheet project tracker I am 27.03% done so far with installing new parts.

getting there.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts