Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

141 - 160 of 179 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
The red w/white is for the fuel reserve light. Since you are getting voltage to the fuel pump and it does not run I would say the fuel pump is bad.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
So to make sure I am testing this right I tested the plug with 4 wires but I might have been on the wrong side of the plug. I should have been on the fuel pump side of the plug or it doesn't matter once it's connected? I know its a silly question but I want to make sure I am 100% correct on procedure.

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
The fuel pump power supply wire is white w/red trace. It should be a little larger than the other wiring. The red w/yellow is the reserve light switch, it also has a black w/yellow that goes directly to ground. If you want to test your fuel pump to see if it will run, disconnect the four wire plug. Connect a jumper wire from the battery negative to the fuel pump black w/yellow, then connect another jumper from the battery positive to the fuel pump white w/red. If pump is working it will run. Only a test if it runs do not run long dry. I have heard other people say they have installed those fuel pumps from e-bay. Some good, some bad.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A good alternative to jumping the fuel pump directly to the battery is set your meter for either continuity or ohms. If you get a reading of low ohms, the windings in the fuel pump motor are good. A reading of high mega ohms or open means the windings are open and the fuel pump is shot. Make sure you take this reading with the connector disconnected and on the fuel pump side of the connector.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
sorry everyone with all the graduations being pushed out and ours last week this took a back seat. Today I am testing pump. I did test it before in an earlier post i think page two it flowed fuel into a bucket but im going to run again try Bagsters suggestion just to make doubly sure its acting well but really isnt

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
Ok my post has died... i get it the younger newer posts always look better... sad attempt at humor here... i am going to run the tests tank off... to be honest never used a multimeter in my life till this debacle so new territory... i always had a wire with a bulb it lights were in business... not so easy now...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
So I ran the test with power. The pump did not run with white with red and black with yellow but when I put the ground on black with white it ran. I have attached a quick video as I couldn't upload a longer one but if that sounds right let me know I will try the other test now.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
Should I completely disconnect the Power Commander? I did hook it back up when I found out the computer was toast?

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
My mistake, you are correct in connecting to the black w/white. Since the tank is off, connect your meter negative lead to the battery negative, and the positive lead to the white w/red at the plug that connects to the fuel pump. Meter set to read DC volts. Turn ignition switch on while watching meter and you should see battery voltage.

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
The plug on the wiring harness side. You have already tested the pump, we are now testing the power supply to it.

141 - 160 of 179 Posts