Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

101 - 120 of 179 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
As of right now he has ordered a vehicle down switch. His did not pass the test, and that switch will lock out the fuel pump and ignition.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Would have thought the vehicle down switch could have been jumped...
I guess we'll see.
Thanks for the update.

best...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am going through a similar situation on my 2000 Vulcan Nomad FI, no spark but I do have prime. I would definitely like to stay tracking.

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
Check the wire to the coils. When ignition switch is on, you should always have 12vdc on the red w/blue wire at the ignition coils.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Found a used bike down sensor for $11 now just awaiting its arrival. The new ECU definitely cured a lot of weird issues. One was as soon as I connected the battery, no key on the fuel pump would whirr that is gone. I reconnected the valves by the throttle body and they are not on with just the battery connected. So we are headed towards lift off. Lesson learned dont jump bike with power pack or anything especially with dead cells bad things happen.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
So to get it correctly I have the battery hooked up i take a wire from 37 to the negative then turn on the key? If so no flashing...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Ok before I lose my sh!$ let's recap here...

I put a power commander in this winter...

It ran all winter I took it off the stand to find a bad battery jumped it with a battery pack at which point this all started...

1. Had dead cells in the battery
2. The jump blew three fuses
A. The DFI fuse
B. The IGN fuse
C. And another fuse I can't recall
3. I replaced the battery with two new ones on reserve
4. Went thru a myriad of tests with Bandit
5. Discovered computer had nice hole burned in the back
6. The fuel pump would do a mini whirr when i hooked up the battery
7. The ISC valves came on when I hooked up the battery.
8. Replaced computer
9. The fuel pump and ISC anomaly went away
10. Found the bike down sensor out of spec and replaced
11. Tried to start again no spark no fuel pump prime
12. There is now a FI light on now did a pin 37 jump and got no codes.

So that is where I am at short of a gallon of gas and a match (if you work for an insurance company, I promise I kid i kid 😉)

So anyone got any ideas here? Bandit where do we go next? I'm not giving up!

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
I have been reviewing what we have done up to this point. I know it is frustrating, but long distance troubleshooting is sometimes difficult. Lets go back to the DFI relay and test it. Remove it from bike. You will need to make jumpers to connect to 12 volt battery. + to terminal 1 and - to terminal 2. check for continuity across terminals 3 & 4.

101 - 120 of 179 Posts