Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my name is Kevin. until last year i never even rode a motorcycle. in 36 years NEVER. Seen my step dad take a spill when I was younger.We were riding behind him in our car. i was 7. always have been scared of them after that. Last year I said what the heck! I was curious and wanted one. So i bought a 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 1500. I learned to ride on this. I was told I was crazy for learning to ride on a bike that big. never dropped it, haven't wrecked it. came close a few times in some empty parking lots. I know people get upset about posting questions in the wrong area on some sites. however this site is massive. I am needing to know where to go for overheating issues. thanks in advance. I love riding. wish I would have started riding sooner. better late than never. againb thanks everybody.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Always start with the cheap fixs. Does it have Rad Fluid? Try flushing the Rad and maybe use a cleaner (that's what I did). Really the only things left are the thermostat and the pump itself. Often it just a frozen up thermostat. Hope this helps. PS does your Fan come on? look for its fuse.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
You'll get the best answers asking in the 1500 section, and be sure to include plenty of details!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys. I posted in the 1500 section no hits yet. here is what I posted just in case.

Hey guys/gals. I have been riding less than a year. I have a 2001 vulcan classic 1500. While I was out riding, the overheat light cam on, sounded like the bike was misfiring or backfiring then I had a loss in power...I pulled over and there was no water leaking from anywhere. 30min later I started the bike up again and 3 miles in the same thing happened. I have a switch on the right side of my bike mounted behind the head light it will not switch or flip to the left side..dont know if this is a fan switch or head light switch. im really green about all of this. any ways its stuck in the one position.

I got it home on a trailer, i changed the oil and there is no water in oil. oil was REALLY low. I checked the fluid in the radiator and it is full. over flow tank is filled where its suppose to be. However, I notice since then my fan is not engauging. the day i was riding and had trouble the temp ouside was low 90s and ive only been riding it here lately between 48 and 70 degrees outside. still the fan hasn't come on. anyone have a clue what could be causing the bike to overheat, misfire/backfire and lose power? The dealers have no clue unless i bring it in to fix it them they know something. lol thanks for any help that you can give me. bike has 53,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Do not use a flush product. These often do TOO GOOD of a job flushing the cooling system and you will have a water pump failure. If you just have to use one of these products, dilute it by 50% or more. Just remove the thermostat and flush the system with good clean water. You can check the thermostat by placing it in boiling water while checking the temperature of the water. Not a bad idea to check new ones this was also.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts