Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got done taking tank off checking ignition wires and putting on the thunder intake gasket. Everyone should check the wires under the tank. Mine were rubbing and just was a matter of time before they rubbed through. The intake gasket was pretty simple. Did not have to loosen throttle gables.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No they don't admit there is a leak. You can get the gasket from Thunder MFG. only 6 dollars. Easy to install. Have not ride it yet to see if it makes a difference in decel popping or fuel mpg. I will let everyone know.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No it does not. If you get one when your ready to install it you can call me and I will try to walk you through it.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Can you throw up a link for the gasket you ordered, for $6 I might as well do it and get it over with so I can sleep at night. I just want the link so I know I'm ordering the right one.
Thanks!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Will taping/covering the wires really cure it though? Won't it just rub through the tape? Is there a solution where you could somehow pull the wires back and keep them off of the area where they are rubbing?

I don't have a 1700 so I don't know; but it just got me thinking. Electrical tape might be a good band-aid but anything that can wear through wire insulation can wear through electrical tape as well!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wires

Will taping/covering the wires really cure it though? Won't it just rub through the tape? Is there a solution where you could somehow pull the wires back and keep them off of the area where they are rubbing?

I don't have a 1700 so I don't know; but it just got me thinking. Electrical tape might be a good band-aid but anything that can wear through wire insulation can wear through electrical tape as well!
I dont know thats how I fixed it for now. I will ride it another 20000 miles and check it.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Electrical tape is like duck tape, it's just a temporary fix. Just the other day I had to fix something with duck tape, my wife chewed right threw it.

I checked out to see how much shipping was for the gasket! Twice as much as the gasket, that's ignorant! I didn't find a number, only a email to contact them. I got thinking that my brothers a mechanic not that it takes one to do it but he said he has gasket material and could make one so I might just have him make one and not spend a dime.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you scroll all the way to the bottom of the page there is a phone number with the adress. It is along the very bottom edge.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Sorry I guess I am stupid.

·
Registered
851 Posts
If you scroll all the way to the bottom of the page there is a phone number with the adress. It is along the very bottom edge.
Thanks, I didn't even bother looking at the bottom of the page. So for those of you that made the call, what did they charge for shipping?

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
If you see that your wires are rubbing the tank, I suggest using a short section of wire loom to protect them. That should last the life of the bike. A different option would be to use a plastic tie and shorten the loop from the harness so that it no longer rubs the tank. I checked mine this weekend, and found no sign of rubbing. I went ahead and taped it, but in my case, see no need to install any wire loom.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
I checked mine yesterday too. The wires are routed and protected well, but I wrapped them just in case. I wonder if this is a problem when they are put together out of the crate on some? Maybe the dealers are being careless in assembly?

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I checked mine yesterday too. The wires are routed and protected well, but I wrapped them just in case. I wonder if this is a problem when they are put together out of the crate on some? Maybe the dealers are being careless in assembly?
Tank is on in the crate.

Here is mine.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 40 Posts