Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am hoping to find a few people who consider themselves an expert on the ignition system in the VN1500A. Specifically, the system in a 1996 VN1500A. I’ve looked around, and I have not found much in the way for people changing the ignition timing other than installing the Dyna 2000(which is no longer produced). I’ve found a few mentions of the ignition advance being vacuum controlled. I also found one thread where moving the pickups was discussed, but no one reported with results. I would appreciate any information regarding moving the pickups, how the ignition advances(vacuum, rpm, etc), alternatives to the Dyna 2000, and information about how far the bike advances the timing from the base timing at idle to full advance. Thanks! :cool:

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
This is my best guess as to how it works:

1. Initial advance is set by pulser coil position.
2. Advance curve and total advance is programmed into the ignitor.
3. Vacuum is used to pull out advance as needed to prevent detonation.

One could prove this out by degreeing the rotor and checking with a timing light.

I have to ask, are you wanting to adjust timing and why?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I am hoping to find a few people who consider themselves an expert on the ignition system in the VN1500A. Specifically, the system in a 1996 VN1500A. I’ve looked around, and I have not found much in the way for people changing the ignition timing other than installing the Dyna 2000(which is no longer produced). I’ve found a few mentions of the ignition advance being vacuum controlled. I also found one thread where moving the pickups was discussed, but no one reported with results. I would appreciate any information regarding moving the pickups, how the ignition advances(vacuum, rpm, etc), alternatives to the Dyna 2000, and information about how far the bike advances the timing from the base timing at idle to full advance. Thanks! :cool:
the question in the above post is important. WHY?

The vulcan is a very fast bike that runs well. youre getting into territory that could ruin the bikes reliability and performance.
first advice is always,,,
if it aint broke, dont fix it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am looking to adjust the timing for the same reason people installed the Dyna 2000. Most people who install aftermarket ignition systems are looking to improve power and/or efficiency. The Dyna 2000 simply altered the ignition advance curve. I did manage to track down a chart with the Dyna and stock ignition advance curves for the VN1500A. Looks like the stock curve tops out at 34-ish degrees of advance starting at around 4100rpm. The most aggressive Dyna curve topped out at 40 degrees of advance. This will at least give me some kind of reference to work off of. Now if I can just find someone who has tried moving the pickups/pulser coils.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I am looking to adjust the timing for the same reason people installed the Dyna 2000. Most people who install aftermarket ignition systems are looking to improve power and/or efficiency. The Dyna 2000 simply altered the ignition advance curve. I did manage to track down a chart with the Dyna and stock ignition advance curves for the VN1500A. Looks like the stock curve tops out at 34-ish degrees of advance starting at around 4100rpm. The most aggressive Dyna curve topped out at 40 degrees of advance. This will at least give me some kind of reference to work off of. Now if I can just find someone who has tried moving the pickups/pulser coils.
as long as the bike isnt your only means of transport, and you are enjoying the work, go for it. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts