Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts
I would be very interested in that. Do you have a link for it? I have a project coming up to utilize these. Thanks for your thread!

·
Registered
180 Posts
First off, thank you for sharing (this once at least) scorpio!
:devil:

Deputy, is it me or are all those links point to the same item?
:confused:

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts
Well I'll be damned they sure are. I actually returned the inline relays and found some waterproof ones. I'll post another link for the brake light flasher when I can.

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts
there are so many varieties and places to purchases these things from, that it doesn't really make that much sense. relays can be pulled from junk cars, purchased anywhere from walmart, hardware stores and every auto parts store. fuse boxes can be purchased in a variety of sizes, styles and variations from an unlimited number of locations. I'm actually thinking about replacing the fuse block and relay in that picture with a new waterproof fuseblock with build in relay that I found online not to long ago.
I made it easy and posted some links for the weatherproof relays and sockets, plus the inline fuses that I have used. (See Previous Posts) Also found the Diagnostic Plug that will go in the Socket that can be used for switched Ignition Power to use for accessories.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Diagnostic Plug can be purchased here.

http://www.cyclepartsnation.com/oemparts/a/kaw/500b5075f8700223e479631a/chassis-electrical-equipment

P/N# (26011B)

Just went to purchase it and the Part is only $7.36, BUT the shipping cost is $19.52. Not worth it to me. I simply tapped in and used solder and shrink tube for a clean connection. But for someone without a lot of wiring experience this is an easy alternative I guess.
You could purchase it a partzilla with 6.99 shipping comes out to just under 14 shipped

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/part/KP-26011-1774.html

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts
You could purchase it a partzilla with 6.99 shipping comes out to just under 14 shipped

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/part/KP-26011-1774.html
Thanks much! I just purchased one for just under $14 at Partszilla. Figured why not, it will give me another way to tap into some accessory power if needed. I'm actually going to rewire my light bar so they are on all the time from this signal through a relay. Removing them from the headlight wiring. They will stay on even when brights are on with that design.

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts
First off, thank you for sharing (this once at least) scorpio!
:devil:

Deputy, is it me or are all those links point to the same item?
:confused:
Links have finally been fixed on the previous page. Planning on rewiring my light bar with the use of these weatherproof relay assemblies, and run it off the signal from the diagnostics plug also just purchased. Lights can run all the time that way.:D

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
I've been thinking about adding switched accessories for some time now, but being a noob was afraid to cut and splice into original wiring. Besides if I ever want to go back and remove an accessory it should be easy. Just pull the plug and be done.

I'm expecting to receive Mutazu MU saddlebags for my 2009 Vulcan 900 classic later this week. It comes with LED lights and I'm planning to wire it as additional turn signals.
Here is what I came up with. I decided to take advantage of the existing plug that connects all lights in the rear (running/brake/turn signals). It is located under the sit and is easily accessible.

My idea was to make sort of an extension/splitter that plugs right into the original connector and provides additional hook ups for auxiliary running/brake lights, turn signals or anything else.

I ordered matching 6-way receptacle kit from Corsa Technic to use with original plug, plus couple of 3-way receptacles to connect LED turn signals.

It took me few hours to put it all together, and I'm pretty happy with the result.

It may not look pretty but it works. When plugged in, it powers up rear lights as expected plus now I have switched power source to connect auxiliary turn signals. I also included wiring for extra tail/brake lights if I ever decide to add it.

I will post an update once saddlebags are installed and connected.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Just an FYI... I added a Shark 250W amp and speakers to my 2009 Vulcan 900 and would have liked a bit more detail, so here goes...
I too found that the accessory ports in the headlight and under seat are always hot. I did not want that, I wanted to connect to a switched circuit. So, I used a 12v 4 connector auto relay (194 from napa for $8). I hooked up the trigger from my horn to the relay on port 85 and the ground to port 86 (These numbers are on the relay). I spliced in the trigger to the horn wire which is switched like I want it and the relay draws next to nothing anyway, so I wasn't worried about overloading that circuit. Then the power from the battery went to port 30 with an inline fuse and port 87 went to the amp.
I used the included red wire and cut it so the fuse was before the relay. The included ground wire connected to the battery. I spliced into this ground and connected to the ground on the relay (port 86).

Life is good.. :)
The speakers are not the best I have heard, but they are good. At speed (70mph), if the mp3 was sampled too low, then you might not hear it so well, but otherwise it was sufficiently loud. For the money, these are a great addition.

Hope someone finds this info useful.

Thanks brother. Good information

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is a spectacular write-up. You guys have really done a bang-up job here! I thought my prayers were answered....

Problem is, I'm not sure it applies to me; I have 2005 1600 classic. I was hunting for that diagnostic port on my bike last night but couldn't find it.

Can anyone tell me if I have the same port?
If I do, can anyone show me where to find it?

EDIT:
Hallelujah! I found it hiding deep on the opposite side from what is shown in the photos of the 900.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Relay and Wiring Question...

Thanks for this thread...EXTREMELY helpful! Have a quick question about the relay, and its wiring.

First off, is it entirely necessary? If using the ignition switched wire, is the relay a matter of "load" vs "current?"

Second, if using the relay, where are the other wires coming from...their source? I understand the constant wire from the plug and the wire to whatever you are providing power for. But the other two...the ground and such...what are they hooked up to?

Thanks for the information...and this thread. Have some knowledge, but always looking for more!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Using the diagnostic port that was switched, I had no need for a relay.

I ran 1 wire through the cap to the "Hot" wires, and ran the neutral to the frame. I put spliced 4 bullet connectors on each of the hot and the neutral wires. So far, I have my stereo connected to one of the bullets, and a cigarette-lighter-style power source connected to another bullet.

I have a dual USB-to-12v plugged into the cigarette lighter which is in a bag connected to my fairing to supply power to my GPS and one other source (phone or MP3 player as needed).

When I turn on the ignition, the GPS comes to life, and when I turn off the ignition, the GPS powers down. This provides confirmation to me that the power is indeed tied to the ignition switch so I have no fear of my accessories draining my battery.

Good luck with your project.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Thanks for this thread...EXTREMELY helpful! Have a quick question about the relay, and its wiring.

First off, is it entirely necessary? If using the ignition switched wire, is the relay a matter of "load" vs "current?"

Second, if using the relay, where are the other wires coming from...their source? I understand the constant wire from the plug and the wire to whatever you are providing power for. But the other two...the ground and such...what are they hooked up to?

Thanks for the information...and this thread. Have some knowledge, but always looking for more!

The whole point of using a relay is to make sure that when you are adding an accessory you do not overload the existing circuits and blow fuses.

Here are few situations where you may consider a relay.

1. Switching a high current circuit using a low current circuit. Useful when existing line does not have a capacity to handle current required.

2. Activating more than one circuit from the single input. Adding a auxiliary fuse panel to power all your accessories.

Check this website
www.easternbeaver.com
Guys sells all kinds of fusepanel wiring kits and provides good schematics and instructions.
I ended up doing everything myself using it as a resource.
I have a secondary fuse panel that powers HID lights, 12v power socket and LED accent lights.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
I've been thinking about adding switched accessories for some time now, but being a noob was afraid to cut and splice into original wiring. Besides if I ever want to go back and remove an accessory it should be easy. Just pull the plug and be done.

I'm expecting to receive Mutazu MU saddlebags for my 2009 Vulcan 900 classic later this week. It comes with LED lights and I'm planning to wire it as additional turn signals.
Here is what I came up with. I decided to take advantage of the existing plug that connects all lights in the rear (running/brake/turn signals). It is located under the sit and is easily accessible.

My idea was to make sort of an extension/splitter that plugs right into the original connector and provides additional hook ups for auxiliary running/brake lights, turn signals or anything else.

I ordered matching 6-way receptacle kit from Corsa Technic to use with original plug, plus couple of 3-way receptacles to connect LED turn signals.

It took me few hours to put it all together, and I'm pretty happy with the result.

It may not look pretty but it works. When plugged in, it powers up rear lights as expected plus now I have switched power source to connect auxiliary turn signals. I also included wiring for extra tail/brake lights if I ever decide to add it.

I will post an update once saddlebags are installed and connected.
That is a great idea and I had planned on doing something similar. Only problem is, apparently the connectors going to the rear wiring (run turn and brake lights) are different on Classics vs. Customs, or changed in 2009 vs 2008. I have a 2008 Custom and instead of ONE connector, I have 4. From what I can tell, there's one for the brake light, one for the license light, and one for each turn signal.

I looked at Corsa's website, and I can't find any of the connectors that even look close to the 3 different ones I have on mine (the turn signals are the same type, just different colors). I guess I'll have to cut some wires :mad:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you to Abominog and gartdm98! Thinking I have this figured out now...many thanks!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Following these instructions... opened up side panel to find that someone (previous owner) has already made modifications to the diagnostic connector... when they fitted a fuel tuner that I never knew was hidden away in there...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, my bike is a 2011 Kawa Vulcan 900 Custom my plugs are different does anyone know what I should get? Thanks for any help possible. :confused::confused::confused:
**I guess my question is what wire gauge is the harness at this point?**
Plug:

These are the options I have, but I have no clue what to pick:

-Pin/Wire size (SUMI-PIN)*
1. 22-16 AWG (SUMI-PIN1)
2. 14-12 AWG (SUMI-PIN2)

-Insulation/Seal size (HM MT)*
1. 1.3-1.7 mm (SUMI-SL1)
2. 1.7-2.7 mm (SUMI-SL2)

Pics of my plug.

& Bike, Does anyone know why my plug looks different than all the others I've seen in the forums???

THANKS AGAIN!

41 - 60 of 89 Posts