Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,
I am in the process of de-winterizing the 2004 Mean Streak, and I had a hiccup: plugged-in the battery, checked connections, switched accessories on and heard that typical whirring sound of the gas pump, and when I pressed the ignition button, it just went "Click" and everything shut off. No lights, nothing.
I suspect a short in the ignition circuit. I checked fuses and everything seems fine (no burned fuse), I had to disconnect the battery and reconnected it, and then re-switched everything on (again with the sound of the gas pump) and again, when I press the ignition, everything just shuts off.

My next step is to re-wire the whole thing, but I am pretty sure there are some intermediary steps that I don't know of (and would allow me to enjoy riding season!). Which would be the first one?
Just so you know about the bike:
2004 Mean Streak
about 40,000 km
no mechanical mods
when I bought it there was a trailer ball, but I did not touch the electrical harness that was with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FTW2017, where is this yellow-gray wire? Close to battery or close to ignition key, or switch?

Sfair, I will check it but the battery was fresh off the charger. If that doesn't seem the issue, what would be the next step?
Thanks for your help gents,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,756 Posts
Do not bother with yellow/grey wire. It is not your problem.

Fresh off of the charger means nothing to a bad battery.
Let us know how the test goes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok
So I tested the battery that's sitting in the bike for 3days. It reads 3volts (I guess you're right that it's dead).

Out of curiosity, I also tested the battery that'll be going into the Suzuki M50: it read 13.9volts on the first reading, and then dropped to 12.8volts after 2 or 3 minutes.

I am wondering: should I keep the batteries on trickle charge when the bike are winterized? I have been taking the batteries inside, but not connected.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just re-read the voltage on that second battery, and it seems to drop .5volt every hour.

Should I assume it's bad as well?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Ok
So I tested the battery that's sitting in the bike for 3days. It reads 3volts (I guess you're right that it's dead).

Out of curiosity, I also tested the battery that'll be going into the Suzuki M50: it read 13.9volts on the first reading, and then dropped to 12.8volts after 2 or 3 minutes.

I am wondering: should I keep the batteries on trickle charge when the bike are winterized? I have been taking the batteries inside, but not connected.
. Always, use a tender.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,756 Posts
1. You need to charge battery and we can give it a quick and dirty test.
2. One thing bad about leaving a battery constantly on a tender is sometimes it can cover up a weak battery. A battery should be able to sit for at least a few weeks with no ill effects. If it is always on a tender, one starts their bike at home, no issues, but rides away somewhere where the bike has to sit for a while and then come out to a no start. I would rather find this out at home than 100 miles away from home.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, the battery is on the charge.
Can you be more specific to the test you'd want me to run?
On inspection, the battery appears good to go: no leaks, no deformation.
Initial voltage will be done (as with my second battery), and expect I will run a load test? Is there anything else (or more simple)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So my multimeter is a Motorcraft 052-0060-2.

What should I look for, at what settings?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,756 Posts
OK:

1. Take voltage reading across battery.
2. Turn on key and take another reading.
3. Leave key on for a full 5 minutes and then take another reading, key on.
4. Turn key off, wait 5 minutes and then take another reading.

Post back with 4 readings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Sfair,
sorry I got long to get back to you, busy week.
Here are the readings:
12.9volts (nothing connected);
11.88volts as I turn the key;
11.87volts after 5min with key on (then turned key off);
12.23volts at 5min after key turned off.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top