Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As many of you know if you have ever had the misfortune of finding yourself and your bike stranded on the side of the road you are rarely if ever within walking distance of tool/tools needed to fix it. This weekend I was about 300 miles from home when I pulled over to make a phone call and take my jacket off. When I got back on the Nomad and put the key in the ignition lock would not allow the key to turn AT ALL. For about 45 minutes I just kept trying & trying (and a little praying ;)) until FINALLY it turned and I was able to start the bike. Unfortunately I had to turn around and cut my trip short because I couldn't turn the bike off without becoming stranded again. Now home I have put graphene in the key hole to lube any parts that might be stuck but it still won't turn. Anybody else have this issue before? Is there anyway to repair the ignition lock cylinder without replacing it?

·
Registered
580 Posts
As many of you know if you have ever had the misfortune of finding yourself and your bike stranded on the side of the road you are rarely if ever within walking distance of tool/tools needed to fix it. This weekend I was about 300 miles from home when I pulled over to make a phone call and take my jacket off. When I got back on the Nomad and put the key in the ignition lock would not allow the key to turn AT ALL. For about 45 minutes I just kept trying & trying (and a little praying ;)) until FINALLY it turned and I was able to start the bike. Unfortunately I had to turn around and cut my trip short because I couldn't turn the bike off without becoming stranded again. Now home I have put graphene in the key hole to lube any parts that might be stuck but it still won't turn. Anybody else have this issue before? Is there anyway to repair the ignition lock cylinder without replacing it?
Are you using the original key or one that you had cut? If it's a faulty ignition the whole thing has to be replaced

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Are you using the original key or one that you had cut? If it's a faulty ignition the whole thing has to be replaced
I tried both my cut key and my original. This morning I douched it really good with some throttle body cleaner (via the spray straw) and that got it turning again! It still won't engage the steering lock but seeing has how a new Ignition lock cylinder runs almost $200 and requires a drill and a torch to remove I'll be happy just being able to turn the bike on for now =).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts