Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you're trying to keep me off this site by using more and more intrusive advertising, congratulations it's working.

·
Registered
214 Posts
? no probs here ?

Cu,
Sven

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,854 Posts
No ads on my side.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
It was that way for me before I got a lifetime membership. A site like this costs money to run and the ads help pay those costs. I don't remember if all paid membership levels get ad free access, but a lifetime membership does.

A forum I used to be on relied solely on donations to defer the costs. After a while, I and a hand full of others were the only ones donating. The few of us could not afford to keep donating enough to keep it going and the forum eventually folded. I was donating $25 - $50 several times a year and so was one other person. The rest couldn't afford nearly that much. The forum owner had to pay out of his own pocket more and more often and just could not afford to keep the forum going.

From my perspective, a one time $40 lifetime membership to not only support the forum in general, but to also view it ad free is a terrific bargain!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Very few ads, nothing to interfere with content. You may have an infection in your computer. I would run Adaware and/or Malwarebytes to check (both free).

·
Registered
705 Posts
Download adblock.
I had enough when the starbucks ad was a small video that wouldn't leave me alone, here and elsewhere with the videos.
Adblock, free and wonderful.

I understand that the suppliers of this web sites need the ad money.
BUT when the ads overwhelm the site, then its too much.
Or when the site is slowed BECAUSE the ad needs to load first, then the content I want to see is allowed to load.
Some sites wont let you in if they detect an ad blocker, well I can go elsewhere if that's the case.
No one has exclusive info monopoly.

·
Premium Member, BOTM Winner, June 2016
639 Posts
I reported before that it was so bad it was preventing me from logging in. It's fine once I'm in, but up to that point, the screen froze while it loaded up ads. I was told to download software and so on, but it's a work computer or my iphone doing it, so I just put up with it until I get logged in.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Download adblock.
I had enough when the starbucks ad was a small video that wouldn't leave me alone, here and elsewhere with the videos.
Adblock, free and wonderful.

I understand that the suppliers of this web sites need the ad money.
BUT when the ads overwhelm the site, then its too much.
Or when the site is slowed BECAUSE the ad needs to load first, then the content I want to see is allowed to load.
Some sites wont let you in if they detect an ad blocker, well I can go elsewhere if that's the case.
No one has exclusive info monopoly.
adblock works like a charm, thanks!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Online advertising is a vicious circle, even without getting into the non-existent ethics. Site owner can't afford to pay the hosting fees, so accepts "minimal" advertising. Users are extremely put off by irrelevant and intrusive ads and blacklist the advertiser; ad revenue falls to near zero; site stacks up the adverts to make up the apparent shortfall; and on it goes. Eventually the site becomes an abandoned wasteland of malware and spam accounts.

Don't look at me like that, I've seen it happen times without number.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Ads CAN be ok.
BUT no web site looks at itself and checks out the ads.
There can be ads that are ok.
BUT a lot of them look very suspicious, and who clicks on them anyway?
We all know NOT to click on these ads - right???

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Online advertising is a vicious circle, even without getting into the non-existent ethics. Site owner can't afford to pay the hosting fees, so accepts "minimal" advertising. Users are extremely put off by irrelevant and intrusive ads and blacklist the advertiser; ad revenue falls to near zero; site stacks up the adverts to make up the apparent shortfall; and on it goes. Eventually the site becomes an abandoned wasteland of malware and spam accounts.

Don't look at me like that, I've seen it happen times without number.
Some of the ad hosting companies even admit that the system is eating itself. The more reputable ad hosting companies try to keep scam and malware ads out, as well as the slow loading and resource hogging ads out, but some will get by. Less reputable ad hosters don't even try.

Ads CAN be ok.
BUT no web site looks at itself and checks out the ads.
There can be ads that are ok.
BUT a lot of them look very suspicious, and who clicks on them anyway?
We all know NOT to click on these ads - right???
If folks didn't click on them, or respond to "Nigerian bank" emails, etc. they wouldn't keep throwing them out there, sigh. But it is not the malicious ads that are the problem that started this discussion, it is the slow loading, resource hogging video based ads that make it nearly impossible to use the forum.

·
Premium Member, BOTM Winner, June 2016
639 Posts
Since I last posted, I got a new iPhone 6s and the slow, dragging, delayed loading that was preventing me from logging in has virtually been eliminated. Maybe it was just my old slow processing phone :)

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
This is the main reason I am not on here as much as I used to be, would take 2-3 minutes just for the main page for active topics to load. Then each time I clicked to view or open another section of the forum, same 2-3 minute wait for it to load to view.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Don't know if you're using Tapatalk, or how many processes may be running on your phone... I'm on Chrome (desktop PC), and everything loads instantly...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts