Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, i just modified the baffles in my 900 custom yesterday and thought i would share with you what i learned, just in case you've never done this before or you're a little nervous about doing it. what i did is first i drilled the rivets out that are in the black cover at the end of the exhaust, i used a 3/16" drill bit for this, you might need a flathead screwdriver to pry the covers off. next i took a sawzall with a metal cutting blade (short one worked better) and i cut off the 1" pipe that is inside the exhaust, this was a little tricky at first, you wont be able to get the entire pipe off, i left about 1" sicking out from where it comes out. the final step in this process is to drill holes into the baffle itself, the baffle is the metal plate inside the exhaust that the 1"pipe (that you just cut off) comes out of. what i did for this is i used a 5/16" drill bit and put 5 holes around the baffle, this step was very easy and the drill went through the metal very quick. this whole process took about 10-15 minutes, i was very surprised by how easy and quick it was to do... and it sounds great too!

IMG_20130630_073142.jpg

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I used a similar process! Only I took it a bit farther and cut the baffles out completely; removed them. I used a holesaw to cut through the metal plate, then used a broom handle to work the baffle tubes back and forth like crazy until they popped loose. Not much louder, but much much much deeper/rumblier than drilling holes! You ought to try it :cool:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used a similar process! Only I took it a bit farther and cut the baffles out completely; removed them. I used a holesaw to cut through the metal plate, then used a broom handle to work the baffle tubes back and forth like crazy until they popped loose. Not much louder, but much much much deeper/rumblier than drilling holes! You ought to try it :cool:
i thought about taking them out completely but i wasn't to sure how it would sound, thanks for sharing this with me and maybe next weekend i'll work on taking them out like you said.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I took mine out completely last week. I love the sound!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Apparently the original owner of my 2009 Classic LT did the same as you did. I think it sounds pretty good. But I'll have to add that after about an hour of constant riding, I start to get tired of the noise. That's when I reach into my bag and pull out some ear plugs and insert them into my ears.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Apparently the original owner of my 2009 Classic LT did the same as you did. I think it sounds pretty good. But I'll have to add that after about an hour of constant riding, I start to get tired of the noise. That's when I reach into my bag and pull out some ear plugs and insert them into my ears.
When I did mine I drilled holes first and 'worked my way up'. What I found was, the full debaffle was really not much louder than any of the other mods; it was just much much deeper. That said; deeper sounds may be more noticeable or irritating than higher sounds; although I find the opposite to be true.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Have had mine full debaffled for two years now, and love the lower rumble. Back roads, highways all day makes no difference on the tone and does not bother me. Higher pitched sounds tend to cause my ears to ring.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Okay, I have a question about this baffle mod.

Why can't I just drill six holes right through the rivets on the outside plate, right through the steel plate and into baffle underneath?

I have a Custom SE, with the black cover plate, then the steel plate then the baffle plate like the guy shows above (with the holes drilled into it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
197 Posts
" I used a holesaw to cut through the metal plate, then used a broom handle to work the baffle tubes back and forth like crazy until they popped loose." - Romans5.8

I was dreading that last step, thinking it would take 15 -20 minutes with the broom handle!! I rotated clockwise then counter clockwise for a fairly fast pace timing each exhaust - 6 min. on the first - 5 minutes on the second one. Ended up with nice clean break.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
" I used a holesaw to cut through the metal plate, then used a broom handle to work the baffle tubes back and forth like crazy until they popped loose." - Romans5.8

I was dreading that last step, thinking it would take 15 -20 minutes with the broom handle!! I rotated clockwise then counter clockwise for a fairly fast pace timing each exhaust - 6 min. on the first - 5 minutes on the second one. Ended up with nice clean break.
Quicker than mine! I went back and forth, diagonal, circular... took 10-15 minutes each!

·
BOTM Winner, February 2016
265 Posts
Okay, I have a question about this baffle mod.

Why can't I just drill six holes right through the rivets on the outside plate, right through the steel plate and into baffle underneath?

I have a Custom SE, with the black cover plate, then the steel plate then the baffle plate like the guy shows above (with the holes drilled into it.

Thanks.
You can do this. I did this on my 1700 stock exhaust, which has the same exhaust/baffle setup.

However it was a pain and you need a LONG drill bit, especially for the hole on the long end of the pipe.

Doing it again, I would pull the front plate off. In fact I still might ;)

·
Registered
295 Posts
I did the same thing, only I've got nine holes and I drilled out the center plug. I think it sounds fine like it is, and in fact sometimes I feel like it's too loud.

·
Registered
88 Posts
After reading this thread, I looked in the end of my pipes and one is debaffled while the other just has holes drilled in it. Logic would dictate debaffling the other one, right? The bike sounds good like it is, but wouldn't the different back-pressure be bad on the motor?

·
Registered
269 Posts
After reading this thread, I looked in the end of my pipes and one is debaffled while the other just has holes drilled in it. Logic would dictate debaffling the other one, right? The bike sounds good like it is, but wouldn't the different back-pressure be bad on the motor?
I doubt that it would hurt a thing. I wouldn't worry about it if you're happy with the way it sounds now.

·
Registered
273 Posts
debaffle stages

I too am nervous about going the last step and taking the baffles out. Is there youtube video's out there comparing both results? If I could hear one in person or on a video I might feel easier about going the whole way. I just don't want to regret that I didn't stay where I am with just the holes.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I pulled the other baffle out today after work. It sounds pretty good. A bit louder and deeper than before. I probably would not have pulled the baffles out if the one wasn't already gone, but I really like the end result.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I too am nervous about going the last step and taking the baffles out. Is there youtube video's out there comparing both results? If I could hear one in person or on a video I might feel easier about going the whole way. I just don't want to regret that I didn't stay where I am with just the holes.

There ya go! (That's not me, but a video I found!)

Notice it's still pretty muffled and raspy at 'stage 1'. Then when he does the full debaffle, it's a bit louder, and much much much deeper. To me that's the important part. It's infinitely deeper with a full debaffle. Sounds SO much better. (IMHO). As you can tell from the video it's louder; but I don't think it's tons louder. It's definitely not ear bleeding, and my fully-debaffled bike is NOT louder than any of the aftermarket pipes I've heard so far on the 900.

I pulled the other baffle out today after work. It sounds pretty good. A bit louder and deeper than before. I probably would not have pulled the baffles out if the one wasn't already gone, but I really like the end result.
Probably the best. You're bike isn't going to blow up instantly but having significant variations in backpressure on the two cylinders doesn't sound like a good idea, to me. Although there are always SOME variations.

·
Registered
88 Posts
After two nice rides totally de-baffled, I'm glad I did it. Sounds great though not noticeably louder when at highway speed. When you stab it going thru the gears, it sounds pretty damn beefy.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just finished the full debaffle yesterday. im so glad i did, it sounds so good! the videos on youtube dont give a alot of justice to how good it sounds. you have to hear it in person. after hearing them fully debaffled, i dont see the need to buy aftermarket exhaust. i love the look and now they have the sound to go with it.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts