Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I will get the Triumph Thunderbird. For the first time, I prefer the looks of the parallel twin engine over the v twins, and Triumph makes a very sexy parallel twin engine. It looks a lot like the Vulcan 500 but only beefier. :D

I don't know if I could give up my 500 though. The 500 can do so much for such a small engine and it's my first bike so I am quite fond of it. But that Triumph Thunderbird would be what I would get if I ever lose my 500. What would you get? Or should I say, would you ever upgrade?

·
Registered
39 Posts
If money isn't a factor? Here are two of my dream bikes:

Triumph Bonneville:

Harley Sportster Forty-Eight (but without the dumb script on the tank)

·
Registered
136 Posts
For me it's not a matter of if, but when.

I got my EN-500 without doing any shopping around for a bike. I wanted to get back into riding after 30 years away from it, and my buddy had the EN-500 for sale and gave me a great deal. After almost 2 year's worth of riding it, I am ready to move up to the type of bike I really like. I won't be getting rid of my little Vulcan though, I will be passing it on to my wife who wants to learn to ride now!

I have been shopping around and I have my list down to 3 possible bikes, all in the "Adventure" catagory. Either the Triumph Tiger 800XC, the KTM 990 Adventure or the BMW F800GS. I've done test rides on the Tiger and the BMW but haven't been able to find a dealer that has a KTM 990 Adv in stock to even sit on around here.

I am like the more upright riding position these bikes offer vs. a cruiser (feet too far forward for me) or a sport bike (leaning forward too much).

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've got my sights set on the Triumph Thunderbird as well. Took one on a test ride not too long ago and man!! It made my 500 seem like a toy. But I still love my 500. The Thunderbird handles extremely well and the cornering was way better than I expected for a big bike. The sound and torque was killer too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
While the Vulcan is a good bike, I will be picking up a FZ1 next week.

Upright seating and should handle the curves the way I like to ride.

Oh, the 130 +or- hp will be fun.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i just sold my 500 earlier this year. loved that bike but it was my very first bike and i outgrew it after a couple of seasons. i think i would have kept it if i could have afforded to. i have an 800 vulcan classic that is the best bike ever in the world! :D i sat on a thunderbird and thought about it but the sitting position is more upright than on the 500 and the 800. i like the low slung cruiser ride.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wouldn't consider it an upgrade, but an addition so that I would haul more when I needed to and continue to ride in the snow/ice.

Ural Patrol with 2wd and reverse gear (maximum speed of 65mph, lol):
I always wonder how well do these motorcycle with side carts handle snow. Do they still need snow chains?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've got my sights set on the Triumph Thunderbird as well. Took one on a test ride not too long ago and man!! It made my 500 seem like a toy. But I still love my 500. The Thunderbird handles extremely well and the cornering was way better than I expected for a big bike. The sound and torque was killer too.
I got a plan. You buy it brand new. Then after a year, you sell it to me used for half the price? :D

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
If I were to upgrade, I'd leave the cruiser world entirely. Next stop is a Yamaha FZ-6.
While the Vulcan is a good bike, I will be picking up a FZ1 next week.

Upright seating and should handle the curves the way I like to ride.

Oh, the 130 +or- hp will be fun.
I like the way you think! The FZ's are fantastic bikes. Sport hardware with an all day seating position, fuel injection, and a relatively large fuel tank. Best of all worlds.

·
Registered
153 Posts
First choice would be the 900 Custom (just sexxy) coming in 2nd would be the Star 950. 99% of my riding is commuting so going much bigger is just a waste for me. Altho except for comfort (and accessories) I'm not sure it's such a big "upgrade", the 500 does all I need and probably as well as these other two.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
First choice would be the 900 Custom (just sexxy) coming in 2nd would be the Star 950. 99% of my riding is commuting so going much bigger is just a waste for me. Altho except for comfort (and accessories) I'm not sure it's such a big "upgrade", the 500 does all I need and probably as well as these other two.
Gotta love the 900 custom!!!:D:D

·
Registered
49 Posts
good morning,

ER6-n!!!!!!

i traded my 500 for the er6-n and love it(09) ....took getting used to the upright position, however, after 4000 miles in 3 months its very comfortable(added corbin seat):)

parallel twin, 49 mpg avg., cheap insurance, fuel injected, kawa family, peppy little beast.......great dealer...:D

it really depends on your choice of a cruiser type or a sportbike type....

pura vida,
FREE TEXAS.
bluebonnet2

BTW 66 next week..:cool:...are we having fun yet??? ATGATT!!!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've been eying Triumph Tiger 800 or Kawasaki Versys as potential replacements to my 500.

As far as cruisers go, I agree that the Thunderbird or even the Speedmaster look great.
My second choice is the Triumph America. I agree the Speedmaster looks good too but I like the classic style of the America. Funny thing is, a year ago I would have pick the more sporty look of the darker Speedmaster but I guess I'm getting old and my taste is changing. lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
If I'm ever gonna replace my 500 (unlikely :)) I'm probably getting a Victory High-ball. I'm loving the blacked out engine and pipes and the adjustable apes :cool: I dig the white rim striping too! Now only if I had 14.000 dollars spare lying around...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts