Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would pass on to the riders that might use a GPS to track their rides that there is a nice site that you can upload your logs and put photos on and if your GPS and camera's clock is set it will even put the pictures in the right place. Okay for the people that can't set there VCR you are not using a GPS, wait it is three letters but the clock doesn’t flash... lol

If you try it and have problems I might be able to help because if you forget to reset your GPS before your trip it will take a little work to get your logs cleaned up.

Let me know what you think: www.everytrail.com or My page
Best of luck and happy logging,
Mike

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
A question about GPA systems, are they that expensive for a bike and what is a good site to look them up at, I've gone to a couple of sites, but they seemed confused as to what they are advertising or it just might be me who is confused of what I am looking for LOL.:)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Picking a GPS is like picking a bike, to each his own. They don't make the one I use it is about 10 year old version, got it when I was doing a lot of dirt biking in the back country of Colorado. I've had to send it back To Magellan several times to get it repaired, it is a Map 330 doesn't do the road "take your next right" not sure I want to ride a motorcycle and have it tell me where to go I kind of like getting lost... lol.

I would say what do you plan to do, all street, maybe some geocaching or also using for hunting or back country trips. I can tell you this don't every plan on it working as my GPS as broken several times when it was mounted to my KLX300 (GPS are not intended to be mounted to the handle bars of a dirt bike even though they make a mount, too much vibration) and if I didn't know where I was it would have made for a long day.

As far as expensive, they can set you back $800+ but I spent about $325 for mine at the time and I thought that was a lot of money. Now that own a cruiser I jump at the chance of any coolaccessory I can put on my bike that is less than $100. They are not cheap but the world of software has made it easy for me to share my trips much easier than before, I use a program EasyGPS (free) software to get my logs off of my GPS. I have the Magellan Street and Topo software so I can upload Topo information to my GPS which for me is very cool in Colorado but the Topo software set me back “one cool accessory for a cruiser” ($100) so as long as my GPS is still working I’m not upgrading.

So the short answer is plan on spending $300+, know what you want to use it for, find a local store (REI, Cabela’s, …) to get your hands on it and see how easy it is to use (don’t forget to take your gloves you ride with). After you have a good idea on what you want then use the internet to locate the best price. Not sure if any of this helped but at least I got to ramble as it is raining today in Littleton so I’m in the house and not riding.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Picking a GPS is like picking a bike, to each his own. They don't make the one I use it is about 10 year old version, got it when I was doing a lot of dirt biking in the back country of Colorado. I've had to send it back To Magellan several times to get it repaired, it is a Map 330 doesn't do the road "take your next right" not sure I want to ride a motorcycle and have it tell me where to go I kind of like getting lost... lol.

I would say what do you plan to do, all street, maybe some geocaching or also using for hunting or back country trips. I can tell you this don't every plan on it working as my GPS as broken several times when it was mounted to my KLX300 (GPS are not intended to be mounted to the handle bars of a dirt bike even though they make a mount, too much vibration) and if I didn't know where I was it would have made for a long day.

As far as expensive, they can set you back $800+ but I spent about $325 for mine at the time and I thought that was a lot of money. Now that own a cruiser I jump at the chance of any coolaccessory I can put on my bike that is less than $100. They are not cheap but the world of software has made it easy for me to share my trips much easier than before, I use a program EasyGPS (free) software to get my logs off of my GPS. I have the Magellan Street and Topo software so I can upload Topo information to my GPS which for me is very cool in Colorado but the Topo software set me back “one cool accessory for a cruiser” ($100) so as long as my GPS is still working I’m not upgrading.

So the short answer is plan on spending $300+, know what you want to use it for, find a local store (REI, Cabela’s, …) to get your hands on it and see how easy it is to use (don’t forget to take your gloves you ride with). After you have a good idea on what you want then use the internet to locate the best price. Not sure if any of this helped but at least I got to ramble as it is raining today in Littleton so I’m in the house and not riding.

I do appreciate the info, Cabela's is one of my favorite places, so I'll check them out. We have one in Dallas, so a short trip in a week or two when I can again and we'll see. It's been raining all day, still a week away from being released to ride again, so I'm stuck either way today LOL. Thanks again for the information.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts