Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I usually hang out in the 2000 and 1600 section but I've got some questions only you guys can answer.

My buddy has a 2004 Mean Streak which he recently finished installing new cams, high compression pistons with shorter skirts, longer and balanced rods, etc. The build has exceeded the stock 1600 fuel injector flow abilities.

One option we discussed was upgrading the stock two-spray 4 hole injectors with the 1700 one spray 12 hole injectors. They offer a better pattern and flow about 100 more cc/min.

The rev limit will be close to 6700 rpm. He also needs to make timing adjustments.

Instead of adding an ignition module to his current PCIII then leaning the 1600 fuel maps at idle and low rpm to accommodate the higher flow injectors, he's pondering getting a PCV for a 1700 to have both fuel and ignition control.

One problem- 1700 maps seem to go up to only 5500 rpm. Has anyone here run the PCV on their 1700 with a higher rpm limit using the rev extend function? I know that the unit doesn't control rev limit. But would there be an issue of running a 1700 map up to 6700 rpm if the bike's ECU allows it?

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Hey guys, I usually hang out in the 2000 and 1600 section but I've got some questions only you guys can answer.

My buddy has a 2004 Mean Streak which he recently finished installing new cams, high compression pistons with shorter skirts, longer and balanced rods, etc. The build has exceeded the stock 1600 fuel injector flow abilities.

One option we discussed was upgrading the stock two-spray 4 hole injectors with the 1700 one spray 12 hole injectors. They offer a better pattern and flow about 100 more cc/min.

The rev limit will be close to 6700 rpm. He also needs to make timing adjustments.

Instead of adding an ignition module to his current PCIII then leaning the 1600 fuel maps at idle and low rpm to accommodate the higher flow injectors, he's pondering getting a PCV for a 1700 to have both fuel and ignition control.

One problem- 1700 maps seem to go up to only 5500 rpm. Has anyone here run the PCV on their 1700 with a higher rpm limit using the rev extend function? I know that the unit doesn't control rev limit. But would there be an issue of running a 1700 map up to 6700 rpm if the bike's ECU allows it?
First off DynoJet does not have an ignition module for the PC3USB. The PCV has the same connections to the injectors and tps as the PC3USB for the 1600. The ignition capable PCV does have 2 more wires that connect to the ignition pulser wires which will prolly be the same on the 1600. The later 1700 PCV'S go up to 6500 rpm

The PC3 USB's had the capabilities to "reset" the power commander which would insert a "zero map" with rpm range up to 18,000 rpm I believe. You'll have to call dynojet to confirm that the PCV for the 1700 will in fact work and if the rpm can be reset as on a PC3 USB to raise the rpm range.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Ray. That helps us out a lot.

Any idea why the PCV is advertised, it seems universally, for 2009 and newer models? Is it just marketing to get people to upgrade? Or are there technical reasons?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts