Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok he is a straight up question.

If you could go back in time would you still buy a VN900 or go to a bigger bike.

Last bike I owned was a Suzuki C50T. Great bike but at hi-way speeds it felt like it was working hard over 60-65mph, I use to get a buzzy vibration through the footboards which left my feet with a tingling sensation it was not a nice feeling.

I am now looking at a VN900 Custom still yet to test ride it but I am wondering if I am really gaining anything by only going up 100cc in the motor.

I like to go to a bigger cruiser but my budget is a factor at this time, most of my riding will be around town but when I do get out on the hi-way I like to feel that I have the power to keep up to my riding mates and traffic.

· Registered
68 Posts
Choco;

For me, the 900 (Custom) was a great choice. I had not ridden since I was 18 (46 years ago) so was (am) essentially a newbee. The 900 was described by many as too big for a starter bike but, after taking the MSF class, I went for it.

Been riding it for 3-4 months and 3800 miles. Like you, most of my riding is around town, but several hundred of those miles were on the interstate with friends, and I had no trouble keeping up. I went with the 170/80 Commander II on the rear when I replaced my tires, and it has reduced the RPMs a little (~5%) which helps. I took it up over 90mph one time, just to see how it (and I) liked it, and it was still pulling pretty well when I backed off.

So, it is a little buzzier at speed than a bigger V-twin, but not enough that it bothers me at all (YMMV). I would be surprised if it is much different than the Boulevard, though.

I may look for a bigger bike sometime in the future just so I can stretch out a little more, but not because of the buzzies or a lack of power.

· Registered
227 Posts
The 900

Totally agree with Old_guy

I believe it is a matter of personal choice.
But:
For me the 900 Classic is fine for commuting everyday, I do use the freeway a bit and I find the bike doing well there, handling and speed in windy conditions.

It has some vibrations but nothing I did not expect from a V twin engine.

For the occasional weekend ride in group, the 900 can hold its own.

For me it was the perfect choice, the price/value is great, although I did a number of mods and always find something else to customize it, to make it better.

love it :drool:

· Registered
520 Posts
If your budget is a factor I really can't see you doing much better than a Vulcan. So much bang for the buck and cheap to maintain as well. I keep thinking of other bikes I would like to have but my Classic just keeps getting it done. Sat on a FJR 1300 Yamaha yesterday and really feel the need but $16K....I can easily afford it but just don't want to since I am basically riding mine for free since I think I have got my moneys worth out of it already....29,000 miles and counting.

· Premium Member
3,662 Posts
It all comes down to personal expectations ... I tour on my classic pulling a trailer ... (see my home page), while my classic has been cosmetically altered, the mechanics have not with the exception of a 200 rear tire and a k&N filter. Two 6000 mile trips, solo and 2 up, 600 mile plus days cruising at 65 mph, the bike runs like a dream .... my last bike was a 1250 cc sport tourer, while there is a huge drop in HP, there is no compromise to the comfort that the Vulcan offers. It does not do all things great .... just most things well.

If you are looking for a high speed tourer, this may not be the bike for you. IMHO

BTW ... I also have a 900 custom, its a totally different animal as far as engine mods, goes like a scalded cat ... but I use this one as a day rider. The classic has by far the more relaxed riding position, but I use the 2 for 2 different purposes.

· Registered
70 Posts
Are you only looking at new bikes? I ask as I had a VN800 and it was super buzzy on the highway so I sold it and bought a Nomad. My nomad is a 2004 with 18,000 mi but I only paid $3500 for it.

Now I have an awesome highway touring bike and no payments. I figure I will try it and if I save up enough to upgrade to a newer bike in a couple years I can decide then if I want something smaller, similar, or larger.

I'd love a new Indian Classic but no way can I spend $28,000 or so on that class bike so I make do. Perhaps once my kids are through college - if I am not too broke.

· Banned
182 Posts
If I could go back in time I would stay there as things were much easier then. I am talking about going back to my younger years about 50 or so back.;)

Oh! I would get one of my Harley 1936 Knuckleheads back out of the garage and not sell either of them this time around!:D

· Registered
143 Posts
I love my 900 so far (I've only had it a few months) but as I regularly use some of the freeways around here, there are times I wouldn't mind having a slightly bigger more powerful bike. To have just a touch more get up and go at 100km/h would be nice and I wouldn't mind adjusting to heavier suspension either. I'm looking at solving that with customisation!

· Registered
7 Posts
I'm another old guy. Hadn't ridden for 30 years. The 900 is perfect for me as I am a member of the Sons of Arthritis. I put a Barons front pulley on it and it tamed the vibration at speed a lot.

Have to say the size/weight and relative ease of handling make this a great all around bike. Might feel different if I was still under 30 but I doubt it. Does everything I want it to do.

· Registered
81 Posts
Had our 900 LT for going on 3 years now - love this bike we did a 320 mile trip Saturday meeting with other Vulcans in the Carolina's. I do look at the Nomads and Voyagers but the 900 is still the only bike I ever sat in and not on. Interstate speeds it runs well (we did 70-75 a little higher on occasion) and don't have a problem with the RPM's - I don't hit 5th gear until 70 ( this is not to start an argument) the bike loves it.

· Registered
643 Posts
Yes and No

Yes if I planned on doing a lot of high speed long distance IS touring.

No if most riding is commuting and shorter touring trips.

I ride 4-6 hours every Sat morning possible, secondary roads, 50-60 mph. The vulcan 900 is perfect for my needs. Inexpensive to buy and operate (reg gas 50mpg) easy to maintain and very reliable. A larger bike would cost more, be more expensive to operate etc.

Bigger is not always better. Depends on what your riding situations will be.

· Registered
6 Posts
Going back in time, I went from a Vulcan 900 Classic to a touring bike. I enjoyed the extra features like hard bags, trunk to fit helmet, heated grips/seat, radio, gear display, etc. The touring bike cost more money for insurance, tag, gas, etc. After a couple years of owning the touring bike, I sold it and purchased a nearly new 2011 Vulcan 900 Classic LT with less than 600 miles. I find the Vulcan to be more nimble and more enjoyable to ride with less heat from the engine in the summer.

Just my personal experience.

· Registered
83 Posts
Like others have said, I think it depends on how you want to use it.

I commute on my 900 to work 40 miles each way on the highway. It has no problem keeping up with traffic at 70 mph. Above about 75 mph, I do feel like I'm pushing it a bit. I generally ride in the carpool lane during rush hour and sometimes I feel the need to move to the right to let the dbag who wants to drive 80 mph pass me. Because most of my miles are highway miles, I will probably move up to a bigger bike sometime in the future.

On the other hand, bigger bikes cost a lot more. If I wasn't riding on the highway a lot I would probably not be considering moving up.

· Premium Member
235 Posts
In a word, no, I would not buy a bigger bike. I like the weight and handling. That said, I do wish it came with a 6th gear and a bit more power but those things can be fixed if you want to spend the money (a larger front pulley, power commander, etc.).

· Registered
391 Posts
I bought a new 2012 900 classic lt. A year ago. Left over stock. This year i bought a 2011 nomad 1700. I should have just went straight for the nomad. Now I have a 900 I am looking to sell. With that I think the 900 is a good bike. Does good riding 2 up. But with today's interstate speeds the 900 gets a little busy. I say if most of your riding is 65mph or less the 900 is a great choice. If you going to be interstate riding or touring go bigger.

· Registered
371 Posts
I agree with the poster who said if he could go back in time, he would stay there. I remember how much better the 50s and 60s were, even with nuclear annihilation hanging over us.

I would also still buy my 900 Classic LT. Once I got the Mustang seat the biggest problem was solved.

· Registered
427 Posts
I bought a new 2012 900 classic lt. A year ago. Left over stock. This year i bought a 2011 nomad 1700. I should have just went straight for the nomad. Now I have a 900 I am looking to sell. With that I think the 900 is a good bike. Does good riding 2 up. But with today's interstate speeds the 900 gets a little busy. I say if most of your riding is 65mph or less the 900 is a great choice. If you going to be interstate riding or touring go bigger.
Well said. I also went for a bigger bike (a '12 Triumph Thunderbird 1600) after a couple years on the VN900, and from my years on this board that seems to happen quite often, which may speak volumes r.e. the question you ask. On a personal note, I don't regret it because it was a great bike to get back into riding with after a decade away from it and I'm still fond of my time with it (hence my continued (though sporadic) time on this Vulcan board)...but, sure, in hindsight perhaps it would have been better to start off with a bigger bike from the outset and save myself a bit of hassle and $$, but, again, I don't regret the path I took.

All that said, though, if you've plenty of experience (and are not coming back from a long riding hiatus) and plan to do more than just a touch of highway riding, I would suggest a bigger bike is probably the better way to go.

· Registered
2,862 Posts
I don't get whole buzy at speed issue. I've had my Custom since March '07. If I'm on an open road and don't look at the speedo, I end up at 70 mph. That seems to be this bike's natural cruising speed. I've got 35k on the odo and about 1/2 of that was 65 or faster. When I'm ready to replace this bike I expect get another VN900.

· Registered
33 Posts
How tall are you?

One of the reasons I even looked at VN900s was how well they fit me as a taller guy. There are plenty of "bigger" bikes that have me sitting with my knees above the tank. Even without extensions, highway pegs, or any other junk, I'm comfortable on this bike.

After looking at more bikes than I care to count, it was a VN900 or a Warrior, and since I picked up a 2009 VN900C with 1400 miles on it for $4k, while most of the Warriors for sale had 20k+ on the odo and wanted almost twice that price, I went with the Vulcan.

I've since put another 4k on the odometer, mostly 20 mile trips to work or class at a time, on a mixture of suburb streets, interstates, and county roads, and I've never once wished I had more displacement.

My Vulcan sits next to a CBR250R in the garage. Some people might consider both of them "little" bikes, but either one can break just about any speed limit in the country in 3rd gear. Displacement is sometimes used to compensate for... other... mechanical... shortcomings.

I guess the question was, would I buy this bike again. The answer: Heck yes. It wasn't exactly a major investment, and it's dirt cheap to insure as well. If I want another bike, I'd probably be able to recoup what I spent on it, but honestly I'd be much more likely to jack it up, bust out the tools and turn it into something only I could love, then just get a third bike if I still had the bug. Those picker guys are going to love me in 60 years!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.