Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Its a 2006 Classic LT with 12,000 miles or 20,000Klms.

This is what I did to this bike after buying it just to get it up to scratch. It doesn’t cost much to go right over it and get it back to new condition, just mainly time.

When I bought this bike, unseen in real life, it was too far away from me. I rode it home from ship when it arrived, and this is how it went.

Started OK, Slammed, and I mean slammed into first gear. Belt made so much noise it was all I could hear, handlebars were slightly crooked, left hand grip kept sliding off, rear shock felt hard as a rock, tyres were very low on air, rear brake pedal was not returning after braking (pivot never greased), clutch cable was the same, stiff and never lubed, and the vibration at all revs, anyway it got me home and I started work on it.

Bike looked immaculate, completely stock except for exhaust, I don’t think a spanner had ever been put on it apart from oil changes.

I reckon the guy I bought it off thought he had sold me a dud, he was topping up oil all the time thinking it was always low, he must have thought it was real oil burner. Then the way it was slamming into first, he must have thought, gearbox is on the way. Oil spewing into air cleaner would have had him thinking bad stuff. The engine vibration, another sign of motor dying. And all other things going wrong with it. Time to sell.

All that stuff is fixed now, does not use a drop of oil , when checked the correct way for these motors. Slamming in first was caused somehow by overfull oil, also filled with full syn oil, and is so smooth now I hardly notice it. Oil in air cleaned caused by overfull oil. Vibration was caused by loose engine mounts, all of them, its so smooth now I still cant believe it. Sticky brake pedal and clutch cable etc, all fixed with grease and oil. Crooked handlebars was caused by stock risers not centred properly and tightened in wrong spot, fixed. The rear shock preload nuts were wound up so tight its a wonder the shock worked at all, probably why it sprang an oil leak.

The bike now is like brand new now, rides like a new bike and I know just about every inch of this bike. And still learning.

THINGS I HAD TO DO. for me anyway
Changed Oil and Filter, Had 8.5 lts in it when i got it.
Changed Brake Fluid.
Changed Fork Oil, 10w.
Changed Spark Plugs, didn’t need to really.
Changed Engine Coolant and overflow tank hose with a new clear one.
Repacked Steering Stem Bearings, not much grease was in there, bearings good.
Checked all Wheel Bearings, all like new.
Checked front pulley, no problems there.
Adjusted and cleaned belt, has not made a noise since, it was way overtight.
Cleaned stock Air Filter with K&N cleaner, came up like new.
Cleaned and lubed all Electrical Connections and plugs.
Replaced Front Brake Pads.
Greased and Lubed all cables and pivots.
Tightened engine mounts and all bolts generally, IMPORTANT.
Fitted new regulator plug, rusted out, new one for $9.00 online.
Fitted new regulator, got one for $32.00 online for VN900, its the same and works like a dream.

THINGS I DID NOT HAVE TO DO, BUT DID.
Fitted resistor mod for timing
Fitted resistor mod for air switching valve after removal of the lot of it.
Fitted new Progressive 465 rear shock, 1” Lower (stock shock was leaking oil)
Fitted new Progressive front springs, 1” lower
Fitted new Mustang seat
Fitted new Mustang rear guard bib
Fitted new numberplate relocation
Fitted new Phat11 risers

·
Registered
361 Posts
How'd that resistor mod for the air lines go? worth while? I'm toying with the idea myself, be interseted to see how much difference there is. What Ohm value resistor was it (is it a 25 Ohm from memory????) cHEERS

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How'd that resistor mod for the air lines go? worth while? I'm toying with the idea myself, be interseted to see how much difference there is. What Ohm value resistor was it (is it a 25 Ohm from memory????) cHEERS
I did the same mod on the 900, there is not much difference really, its just to get rid of a bit of weight and a useless 1970s type pollution control that is rubbish. Cleans up the look of motor and seems to have cured the bit of popping the 2000 had.
I used a 220ohm 1watt resistor, but I think you can use a 22ohm 1/2watt as well. I had a 220 left over from 900 so used that, light is off so it must be working ok.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I did the same mod on the 900, there is not much difference really, its just to get rid of a bit of weight and a useless 1970s type pollution control that is rubbish. Cleans up the look of motor and seems to have cured the bit of popping the 2000 had.

I used a 220ohm 1watt resistor, but I think you can use a 22ohm 1/2watt as well. I had a 220 left over from 900 so used that, light is off so it must be working ok.

Aaaahhhh, sweet, thanks for that.

I'll pop down to good ole dick smith nec week and grab a resistor. My sled's off the road due to an insurance muck up, gonna take a week to sort so i might as well have a bit of a fiddle.
Ando

Sent from the bottom of the Earth via a Tapatalk clone........……Motorcycle.com.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aaaahhhh, sweet, thanks for that.

I'll pop down to good ole dick smith nec week and grab a resistor. My sled's off the road due to an insurance muck up, gonna take a week to sort so i might as well have a bit of a fiddle.
Ando

Sent from the bottom of the Earth via a Tapatalk clone........……Motorcycle.com.
Hope it works out. I try to think of winter as a good time to get everything done to bike so shes all ready for summer.
If Dick Smith doesn't have one, I got mine from Jaycar if you have them in Kiwiland.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for this great post. Some of these things I hadn't thought of when I picked up my used 04 V2K, but will look into now. I just have one question on the point below.

Cleaned stock Air Filter with K&N cleaner, came up like new.
Is the stock air filter a paper filter? Maybe I am wrong, but I thought the stock was paper and that you aren't supposed to clean those. If there is no harm I should probably clean mine up too.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for this great post. Some of these things I hadn't thought of when I picked up my used 04 V2K, but will look into now. I just have one question on the point below.

Is the stock air filter a paper filter? Maybe I am wrong, but I thought the stock was paper and that you aren't supposed to clean those. If there is no harm I should probably clean mine up too.
I was going to get a new one or a K&N. I had the K&N cleaner and oil here so I thought there was nothing to loose if it wreaked it. I think it might be paper, but if it is it is very tough stuff, cause I cleaned it with K&N cleaner, let it soak for about 10mins, blasted it with a hose (water) let it dry. It came up like brand new with no visible damage at all, looked so good I stuck it back in and am still using it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts