Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Allow a new member to post a question about his '04 VN2000. My bike is revving up through the gears but hardly moves. A noise can be heard from inside the engine. I tore down the clutch but it's in great shape! All within specs. Primary runs free in neutral. Any one had this before? Do I need to worry about the transmission? Upgrades made in the past are Thunder intake, pipes, power commander, car tire (205-60-16) Any body?

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
My bike is revving up through the gears but hardly moves.
Could you be more specific?
Did you just jump on it one day and it would not move?
Was it making any noises prior?
Any backlash noticed in the drivetrain?
Any lerching or jerking?
Any gears grind or jump out?
How many miles?

Post back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could you be more specific?
Did you just jump on it one day and it would not move?
Was it making any noises prior?
Any backlash noticed in the drivetrain?
Any lerching or jerking?
Any gears grind or jump out?
How many miles?

Post back.
We were out on a ride, had parked the bike for a few hours, started it and found it running irregular on idle in first gear. (that happened before) Did not think anything of it and started to ride. Going thru the gears and in 5th gear the rpm fell sharply. Revving the engine felt like slipping. Had to limp home (max 40 mph) No noises prior. No backlash in drivetrain. (tight within specs) No lerching, no jerking. No gears grinding, no jumping out of gear, but now there is a metal rattle in the engine. (sounds like behind the clutch cover) Miles are 18200.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Allow a new member to post a question about his '04 VN2000. My bike is revving up through the gears but hardly moves. A noise can be heard from inside the engine. I tore down the clutch but it's in great shape! All within specs. Primary runs free in neutral. Any one had this before? Do I need to worry about the transmission? Upgrades made in the past are Thunder intake, pipes, power commander, car tire (205-60-16) Any body?
CHECK THE TRANSMMISION PULLEY aka FRONT DRIVE BELT PULLEY.
Check fuel pump, bad pump or fuel filter pluged
Also disconnect Power Commander
Bare

·
Registered
319 Posts
slip

put it into third gear. Engine off, you and some buddys try pushing it. If its easy, the clutch is shot. Next as Fanatic said, check the front pulley. 04's had a bad(soft) front pulleys. Cogs are either stripped or the keyway is torn out and it's slipping on the output shaft. If you need a new pulley, get a good one from Myron

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update

Update! Went ahead and pulled the left side off. Found the pulley stripped. Contacted the local Kawa dealer to check for parts and found out there was a recall for the '04. It's now being rebuild by the dealer. Wanted to thank everybody for their help/answers. :)

·
Registered
319 Posts
pulley

Are they going to cover the pulley? If not, spend he extra 140 and get one of myrons overdrive pulleys. Much better quality than stock

·
Registered
21 Posts
Update! Went ahead and pulled the left side off. Found the pulley stripped. Contacted the local Kawa dealer to check for parts and found out there was a recall for the '04. It's now being rebuild by the dealer. Wanted to thank everybody for their help/answers. :)
Hey bigdutchboy, how did this turn out for you? I have a 04 and looks to be the same issue that has had the bike in the garage until I get some extra cash. Did Kawasaki come through with the repair?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts