Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2007 Vulcan 900 classic LT the bike runs great only thing that kinda worries me is that when i start it it doesn’t have a high idle. It’ll start with an idle of about 800 rpm and as it warms up it’ll get to 1000 rpm. What could be wrong that it doesn’t have a high idle at start up? Is it something to worry about?

·
Registered
705 Posts
If its a carb bike then you need to use the choke!
If fuel injection then the computer is controlling it.

And since you didnt say that it had an idling problem, it must be starting fine??

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If its a carb bike then you need to use the choke!
If fuel injection then the computer is controlling it.

And since you didnt say that it had an idling problem, it must be starting fine??
It’s fuel injected. It’s starts right up every time. And once at running temp it’s idles perfect at 1000 rpm. It’s just when I first start it it’ll idle at about 800 rpm instead of a high idle since it’s cold.

·
Registered
705 Posts
OK. Then its fine.
I had a car that didn't have a high idle either. and it would start and idle fine even at extreme low temps.
As I stated the computer controls the idle speed, and your saving your engine by NOT having it run at a high idle at start up!
Nothing wrong with it.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
By design, it should high idle on start-up. If it does not, then something is not right.
Check high idle sticky at the top of the 900 section.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK. Then its fine.
I had a car that didn't have a high idle either. and it would start and idle fine even at extreme low temps.
As I stated the computer controls the idle speed, and your saving your engine by NOT having it run at a high idle at start up!
Nothing wrong with it.
the only thing that concerns me is that the idle at start up is only about 800rpm then as it warms up it progresses to about 1000rpm.

·
Registered
673 Posts
That is correct. It's quite short and has a black plastic knob at the end that you twist

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
I think that one controls the hot idle, not the cold start-up. That one is behind the air filter housing. You can see it with out removing anything, but near impossible to adjust.
At least that's how it is on my 2007 900

·
Registered
79 Posts
I think that one controls the hot idle, not the cold start-up. That one is behind the air filter housing. You can see it with out removing anything, but near impossible to adjust.

At least that's how it is on my 2007 900
That very well may be true!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The black knob on the outside controls the hot idle. To the to the high idle you have to take off the air box and twist the throttle. Only them you can get a Phillips head to adjust. On mine I had to pretty much unscrew it all the way in order to get it to idle a bit higher than the hot idle. My high idle is at about 1250. Only thing I don’t know how accurate my rpm reader is.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
My Classic does the same thing.
Start cold idle is lower than the warm idle.
Always idles upwards

1 - 20 of 22 Posts