Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here adjusted their idle (slow it down) to get more of a harley sound. Love the harley sound but hate the vibration and lack of reliability.

I know know you shouldn't go too low but can you get close?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Has anyone here adjusted their idle (slow it down) to get more of a harley sound. Love the harley sound but hate the vibration and lack of reliability.

I know know you shouldn't go too low but can you get close?

Short answer NO, the 9 will never sound like a harley, do not lower idle past 950. For many reasons.

It can sound like a high end sports car with the right pipes and tune.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Go under 1000 rpm and you're running the risk of not providing enough motion to keep the oil well circulated and/or the battery charging properly. Plus, our FI engine just won't develop that Harley "lope" you're looking for. Bytehead's right, though... with the right pipes and mix our 9'er sound durn sweet. I enjoy my own rumble with just a debaffle.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
The "secret" to the Harley sound is the single pin crank. The pistons are connected to each other, and as such, each cylinder fires right after one another, and work ALMOST in unison, creating that "potato potato" sound (as well as the vibration). Our engines use a crankshaft, which puts the pistons at opposite ends, when one is at top dead center, the other is bottomed out. This generates a smoother ride and makes more horsepower, but you'll never get the harley sound that way.

http://www.animatedpiston.com/Evo.htm

There's an animation of a Harley engine so you can see what I mean.

NO exhaust will produce a Harley sound on any crankshaft engine.

I agree though. Keep your idle up. It's not good for the engine to be running that low.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
The only way to get that "Harley sound," is to get a Harley.

BTW, can someone tell me how to read the engine rims at idle when you don't have a tachometer? Thank.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
The "secret" to the Harley sound is the single pin crank. The pistons are connected to each other, and as such, each cylinder fires right after one another, and work ALMOST in unison, creating that "potato potato" sound (as well as the vibration). Our engines use a crankshaft, which puts the pistons at opposite ends, when one is at top dead center, the other is bottomed out. This generates a smoother ride and makes more horsepower, but you'll never get the harley sound that way.

I agree though. Keep your idle up. It's not good for the engine to be running that low.
Wow thanks for a great lesson. Learned something new.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
The only way to get that "Harley sound," is to get a Harley.

BTW, can someone tell me how to read the engine rims at idle when you don't have a tachometer? Thank.
I actually have an app for my iPhone that reads RPM's by sound. I guess the idea being, each time there is a 'pop' from the exhaust it counts it, and figures it in based on the configuration (2 cylinder 4 stroke). Seemed to work for me.

·
Registered
295 Posts

I agree that you shouldn't set your idle too low, but it seems to me that the V900 engine also has a single-pin crank.

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/2009-kawasaki-vn900c9fa-vulcan-900-custom/o/m17945#sch579313

·
Registered
7,620 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
I agree that you shouldn't set your idle too low, but it seems to me that the V900 engine also has a single-pin crank.

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/2009-kawasaki-vn900c9fa-vulcan-900-custom/o/m17945#sch579313

You are correct the v900 is a single pin crank. However the 900 is a short stroke piston (higher rpms), and the spread of the juggs is 72 degrees not 55. This along with the single crank pin is the differance. Some V twin engines use the dual pin crank and run smooth. You do not get the power pulse from those engines. Just don't feel right.
The engine design and sound for harley is trademarked and patented.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I read just the other day that even the Harley's are not supposed to idle below 1000 rpm's. It lowers the oil pressure into the danger zone AND puts undue stress on the crank bearings due to low rpm's and combustion hitting at top of stroke, also, they suffer from launch issues and eng not wanting to snap on line quickly at that low idle.
Also with some of our bikes using the KACR units that only allow going so low then it will die anyway. So, The rock bottom idle is about 850, but only if the motor is tight, otherwise stay in the 900 to 1000 and you won't have launch problems. You want to keep it strong at idle for that crisp throttle response.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
We DO have a single crankpin motor!
Frankly, it's one of the reasons I chose the 900 over the suze ct50.....
Here's your sound your looking for, courtesy of OUR 900'S.....

http://youtu.be/w-zODrNis6M

Like all Kawasaki V-twins, the VN900 engine uses a single crankpin for best ...(all reviews start with this....)\

Frankly, this beautiful bike can sound more like a Harley than a Harley does...lol.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
http://youtu.be/s0vufpKouaM

Yep....added this guy as a friend....love the sound.

Ever hear the ct50? I was actually gonna buy that bike...till I heard it's dual crankpin engine.....couldn't go there.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I actually have an app for my iPhone that reads RPM's by sound. I guess the idea being, each time there is a 'pop' from the exhaust it counts it, and figures it in based on the configuration (2 cylinder 4 stroke). Seemed to work for me.
App name? that's pretty cool.

·
Registered
224 Posts
agree with the few above that stated to low of a rpm creates lower oil pressure and also can affect the stator to prematurely go bad since it doesn't have the voltage it needs to power things effectively. I now have a Kuryakyn volt meter and love it.I don't have a tach,so I adjusted the rpms high enough to have at least one solid green light when the brake and turn signal are applied (after bike is warmed up and has been driven ) If nothing is applied at a stop,I have two green bars showing. That lower rpm may have been what contributed to my last stator going bad.....food for thought

·
Registered
276 Posts
Personally I don't want the Harley sound...I prefer my motors to sound like they're not falling apart!!!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Personally I don't want the Harley sound...I prefer my motors to sound like they're not falling apart!!!
Yup finally got to listen, banned at work, sounds like a piston trying to come through the wall. I don't think mine will even run that slow.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
OP asked if anyone turned their idle down to achieve a "harley-like" sound.....whether or not anyone "likes" it......"it" can be achieved.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts