Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed an issue with the idle on my 2009 Classic. When I turn the key to engage the fuel injectors, they do their thing. Then I hit the ignition button, the bike will turn over just fine, but it won't start until I give her some throttle. She'll run just fine as long as I give her a bit of throttle, and as soon as I let go she engages in a low idle that dwindles into a stall. I'm wondering if this might injectors, or cables, or something that i'm not tracking yet. I need help, please! Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

NOTES:

1. I did just replace the stock floorboards with a forum members pegs from his Custom. I did note that the tie rod was a bit short. As a result I had to dip the shift lever a bit forward to compensate for the lack of length on the tie rod. I don't think this is would cause a low idle issue, but please correct me if i'm wrong.

2. This morning I did change the angle of the rear brake lever. Again I don't think this will have any bearing on the idle speed.

3. Last note. I also adjusted the angle of my handlebars, just to try it out. I'm no expert but logic dictates that this MIGHT have some affect on the idle due to the electronics and cables that are associated with the grips and the bars in general.

·
Registered
260 Posts
This is probably a dumb naive question on my part, but have you adjusted your idle speed at all recent? Or maybe brushed it or moved it on accident when working on the bike? It might be that it is just going too low and can't keep up unless you're putting more throttle on?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are no dumb or naive questions, only people that can't own up to the fact that maybe they don't know something. And I am not that person. So i'm asking this to clarify.

To adjust idle speeds: thats the cable adjustment screws just above the throttle right?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Nope, it's actually a little black/dark screw knob in front of your aircleaner. Check out this video:

That video is supposedly around 1000rpms exactly, which is the number you want to hit (as outlined in the owners manual). Listen to the video and adjust accordingly.

You may have a larger problem if it just started after adjusting your shifting level though. I'm not sure how it would affect it, but it's all tied into that system. Make sure you're in neutral.

Also, wait for a second opinion. I'm kind of a new guy at this stuff myself, so someone else may recognize another issues which I'm missing completely. You might adjust your idle screw up a bit and see if that makes the issue worse/better.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check and roger, I did play with that this morning. I will adjust that when I get back home. After you post that I know for a fact thats what it is. I'll post results in about an hour.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright everybody, problem solved. Thanks for all the suggestions (rather thanks for the one suggestion from everyone). Let it be known i'm new to the biker world and, by extension, Vulcans. I greatly appreciate the quick replies and direct answers.

The bike is running and idling perfectly now. Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, wait for a second opinion. I'm kind of a new guy at this stuff myself, so someone else may recognize another issues which I'm missing completely. You might adjust your idle screw up a bit and see if that makes the issue worse/better.

You were good brotha, you were right on this one. Chalk one up for ya!

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Read your little manuals guys. LOL!

I was so excited with 1st bike I bought... honda shadow. I read the book after I got it home. Next day I'm riding and it quit in the middle of nowhere. I thought, great! Not surprised. Then I remember reading over the manual about the reserve tank switch. I got off, twisted it, it fired right up and I was on my way. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts