Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, the other say I turned up the idle a bit, yesterday I thought I'd turn it down (just for shits and giggles). It seems like the plastic knob kinda just revolves without adjusting anything, no discernible difference in rpm's. Its a plastic knob held on with a hex bolt. Should I wrench the hex bolt? It seems to kinda flop around now like it's stripped or something.....

·
Registered
976 Posts
I'd get a good look at it before you do anything BUT you shoulda left well enough alone!

tsk tsk.

Make sure something else isn't broken.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd get a good look at it before you do anything BUT you shoulda left well enough alone!

tsk tsk.

Make sure something else isn't broken.
Famous last words....lol.
I ordered one of the new air filter covers, I guess when I put that on, I'll take a good look at the idle adjuster. Funny though.....first time I really checked it out, it kinda flops around, like it's stripped. I'm thinking of wrenching the hex bolt.

·
Registered
306 Posts
when you pull out on the plastic knob it will lock in with that hex nut you see. then turn it the hex nut should turn it is what adjusts the rpm. the plastic should then be pushed back off of the nut to prevent accidental adjustment

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tim and Ron,
Thanks guys, I'll try that!
No mention of this ANYPLACE in the manual, it's what makes this forum fantastic.

·
Registered
41 Posts
tried to slow the ide speed the other day..no such luck..damn bike would not hold idle and just dies..oh well..good luck

·
Registered
167 Posts
Mine is turned down a bit, where it loops a bit..a little harley like...i love it

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It worked guys!
When I first turned the idle up, couple of weeks ago (to get rid of some "burbling" at idle) the plastic knob must have been on the hex-nut. Then, when I went to turn it down, the plastic knob worked it's way off the hex and down the shaft where it just rotated around. Funny, no place in the manual states that you have to work the knob back over the hex-nut. Makes for some common sense and prevents undue idle adjustments. Anyways, thanks guys for the tip!

·
Registered
28 Posts
From what i read it should be around 1050 rpm's......

i set mine to 950ish and imo sounds still too high.......

:confused:

·
Registered
167 Posts
I hate how our bikes are idling soo high. I'm more around 800 rpms and sound about just how it should

·
Registered
28 Posts
agreed........but

the only thing i found with putting MY idle lower is this........

regardless if the bike was running for an hour, if i turn it off, let is sit for a minute or two or 10, then i start it again will idle very high for what seems noticeably too long. Ive had other ppl point this out to me also.

if I put my idle higher, its doesnt do it near as high or long of a duration.

i dont get it.

could be 30c degrees. shut it off. 5 min later start it and u'd think it sat for 30 days in a freezer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts