Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,,,on my 2000 (vn750) the adjustment cable from knob to carb broke at the carb end. That was last summer and i recall taking one off at the yard was no simple task even with it in my hand. So I'm pretty sure the carb needs to come off the bike to fix..But i remember a mechanic having a heck of a time getting the carbs back on my 1992 750. and i am wondering if there are any tips to lessening the difficulty of this repair.
thanks for your help..

·
Registered
213 Posts
if you've got the stock air intake setup, you'll want to disconnect everything from the black surge air tank under the gas tank and pull the back of the surge tank up between the frame as much as possible. Tie it up in place or use a long screwdriver to hold it up in place.

To get the carbs out, you'll want to disconnect at the very least the choke cable.
on the front cylinder, loosen the clamp on the carb side. leave the engine side tight.

For the rear cylinder, the manual states to loosen the engine side clamp and leave the carb side tight, but I loosen both.

standing over the bike and looking down at the carbs, spin the entire assembly counter-clockwise. At the same time tilt the right side down, and the left side up.

with some grunting, swearing and effort, the carb should pop free of the boots.

Now the HARD part is getting them out of there. you'll want to pull them out from the right hand side.

If you can get at least the rear cylinder boot wiggled off both the cylinder and carb, pull it out of the way and this will give you a lot more room to get the carbs out from between the cylinders.

To get them back in.......

If you look at the boots. they are marked with an F and an R for the appropriate cylinder. Also, there is a little nub along the outer edge that lines up with a corresponding mark on the cylinder head. You'll want to make sure these align or the carbs won't seat correctly.

I like to lube the boots up with a little bit of molly grease or dish soap, or whatever I have on hand to aid in getting the carbs to pop in nice and easy.

Hook up the throttle cables now. SO much easier.

Leave the front boot on the front cylinder and tighten down the clamp.
despite what the manual says leave the rear boot off completely for now.

finagle the cars in between the cylinder heads and get it lined up, but don't seat it into the front cylinder boot yet.

Hold the carb assembly up and to the front against the cylinder to give you room to squeeze the rear boot into place on the cylinder and aligned with its markings. slip the clamps into place, and then it should be relatively simple to get the carbs to seat into the boots.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts