Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate to bother everyone with this, but this is a time when I'm at a loss as to what to do.

A close friend of mine who I've known for over 20 years just told me he's got stage 4 Pancreatic Cancer. He's not but a few years older than me, maybe 54? His kids are grown and he's a grandfather. He's been a hard worker his whole life and now owns his own business that was doing quite well. He's been hurting for about 8 months and finally went to have it checked out. First they said it was gall stones, which he had five cut out. But he still hurt. Finally they did another MRI and found a mass on his Pancreas. He had it checked out and it's malignant. Finally talked to an Oncologist, who told him it was stage 4, it had spread into either the Liver or Lymph nodes. It was something that began with an L, I was still in shock so I can't remember which and I don't want to ask him. He also said it was encompassing an artery? I've never heard of that, so I'm not sure what it means. He was told 4 to 6 months without treatment.

He's going to Phoenix next Sunday, after Thanksgiving with his family, to the Cancer Centers of America. I'm hoping he gets better news there.

Many of us probably don't go to church on a regular basis. I know my Dad, a devout Southern Baptist, drug us to church every time the church doors were open as kids. I've been rebelling a little every since. Now I wish I had a better connection to "The Man Upstairs". I'm praying. If any of you have that better connection, please say a kind word for my friend will you? He's the kind this world needs more of.

Regardless, thanks for the time you've spent reading this. I feel a little comfort just knowing more people understand what he's going through.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
the phone rings on both ends

zigabee, no call goes unanswered. don't need a better connection. just need to dial it ever once a while. some need to mor often, but hey, that's 'tween them and the guy on other end. the call has been placed.

my buddy Pat was only 40 when he got cancer, stomach and esophagus. 2yrs of awful treatment. he got his bus ticket home.
years earlier, his 18yr old son had blood clots all thru his upper chest and neck. they did a lot of surgery to minimize it. he got his ticket punched a year after his dad.

sometimes the answer is not what you are wanting. trust. not much different than riding bikes.

btw,, yor way mor older than 54

·
Registered
304 Posts
Sending good vibes and good luck to your friend!

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys. JD, thanks. I'll pass that on about your wife surviving Pancreatic Cancer. That will help him a lot. The first night he called (I knew he was having a scope, was waiting to hear what they said) and told me it WAS cancer, his voice broke a little and I almost lost it when he said he wasn't even going to make it to 60. He was scared. I'm scared for him.

He doesn't ride. He use to, but not any more. He use to ride from his house to Garland (a suburb of Dallas) to work and back. That's a crazy commute. I see why he doesn't like riding if that's all he did. We talked about his son today. His son is in his mid twenties. Married and has a couple of kids. His son is going through a rough time with his wife and now this is really stressing the son out. He asked me to invite his son fly fishing some day after he's gone. I told him to get over this and we'd all go fly fishing. He asked me not to push the motorcycle thing on his son. I'll grant that wish, we all know it's not for everybody.

I first met Frank when I was shoeing horses for a living. He became a customer and we really hit it off. I got him into showing/competing in horse shows. He use to bring his kids and we'd cheer them on. He's a great father. He's just a good-hearted Cowboy.

He was one of the guys who got me completely ripped up while in Oklahoma on a horseback camping trip. My wife doesn't let me "play" with that group of friends anymore and put me on a two beer limit. Rumors of photos. But that doesn't mean it wasn't a fun time. He brought that up today. It was good to hear him laugh, even if it was at my ignorant rear-end.

And Ponch, I'm only 51. Shoeing horses for 12 years will age you quick though. I still wake up sore some mornings.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
He was one of the guys who got me completely ripped up while in Oklahoma on a horseback camping trip. My wife doesn't let me "play" with that group of friends anymore and put me on a two beer limit. Rumors of photos. But that doesn't mean it wasn't a fun time. He brought that up today. It was good to hear him laugh, even if it was at my ignorant rear-end.

And Ponch, I'm only 51. Shoeing horses for 12 years will age you quick though. I still wake up sore some mornings.
laughter is good stuff like alkyhol.. makes you forget how much it hurts.. for a few minutes anyway.

and getting kicked in the head by a horse or the wife still leaves an impression in the morning.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts