Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyone else that thinks the handlebars are a lil too wide and low.
Coming off of my 750 Vulcan.
I think we need some alteration here.
'09 900 classic..............Not agreed on a price yet.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Is there anyone else that thinks the handlebars are a lil too wide and low.
Coming off of my 750 Vulcan.
I think we need some alteration here.
'09 900 classic..............Not agreed on a price yet.
Absolutely! IMO the handlebars are worse than the seat.

My other Vulcans with the same type handle bars make my back hurt regardless of the seat.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
By the way I f they are just a bit to low they can be adjusted.

·
Registered
851 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
agreed. Even the handlebars on the Custom aren't in the best position.
Had a set of risers from Scootworks, that while they put the bars in a good position, they QUICKLY wore out after a few thousand miles of riding (a little over a month) and I had to remove them and go back to stock.

Found these and they just arrived yesterday:
http://refinedcycle.com/HR2-Riser-Extensions-for-Vulcan-Mean-Streak-Marauder-HR2.htm

I'll be installing them sometime this week. Hopefully they will last a lot better...
Per the product description, they will work for both the Classic and Custom.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Handle Bar position

I guess handle bars are like beauty, it's all in the eyes of the holder in this case. I have long arms and find these bars most comfortable and the wide part gives excellent control for me. To me their great but everybody isn't born with a set of ape hangers like I have 37" sleeve.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I guess handle bars are like beauty, it's all in the eyes of the holder in this case. I have long arms and find these bars most comfortable and the wide part gives excellent control for me. To me their great but everybody isn't born with a set of ape hangers like I have 37" sleeve.
Yup, that's pretty much it exactly. *eye of the beholder and such...

The stock bars on the 900 are just a little to far forward for me. I can ride as is, but have to lean forward slightly which agitates my once broken shoulder on longish rides.

along those same line of to each their own..I'm one of the few that seem to actually like the stock seat. *gasp*

·
Registered
49 Posts
You can add 10-12" apes and keep the cables stock. Easy fix.
Second this. I spent $37 on my handle bars and it made a world of difference. I got 12" and my cables are at their limits, so I would do 10" if I were you, unless you plan on getting extended cables in the near future.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yup, that's pretty much it exactly. *eye of the beholder and such...

The stock bars on the 900 are just a little to far forward for me. I can ride as is, but have to lean forward slightly which agitates my once broken shoulder on longish rides.

along those same line of to each their own..I'm one of the few that seem to actually like the stock seat. *gasp*
I installed pullback risers after changing to a Mustang seat. The risers set the bar higher and back by 1.5". I like the wider bar (probably because it's similar to a bench press stance) and it's very comfortable with my 33" sleeve length. I've got low back problems so I'm wedged all the way back against the mustang seatback.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
One of the big appeals of the 900 for me was that it fits taller people well. I have 37" sleeve as well and I find the bars just fine...

Lots of bikes out there for vertically challenged people not so many for vertically gifted people. Vulcan and V-Strom for me. (KLR would work too, might get one of those as well! :) )

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I actually love the bars, but that's me.

The nice thing about handlebars is, like the seat, there's plenty to swap them out with!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm short. There I said it (5'4"). I have an 09 classic and I think the bars are fine. I do mostly short rides. But I've also gone on 4 day, 1400 mile trips. Just as Romans said though, that's just me.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
agreed. Even the handlebars on the Custom aren't in the best position.
Had a set of risers from Scootworks, that while they put the bars in a good position, they QUICKLY wore out after a few thousand miles of riding (a little over a month) and I had to remove them and go back to stock.

Found these and they just arrived yesterday:
http://refinedcycle.com/HR2-Riser-Extensions-for-Vulcan-Mean-Streak-Marauder-HR2.htm

I'll be installing them sometime this week. Hopefully they will last a lot better...
Per the product description, they will work for both the Classic and Custom.
Curious. How does one wear out risers? Do you mean the finish deteriorated? If so, that's crazy and unacceptable!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Curious. How does one wear out risers? Do you mean the finish deteriorated? If so, that's crazy and unacceptable!
I WISH it had just been the finish, that would have been better.

The top end of the risers that screwed onto the handlebars mounting stud worked loose, even though the riser was screwed in as tight as possible, the bars still wiggled. I would turn the bard about a quarter inch before the slack was taken up and it would start to turn the wheel.

Everything was good and tight upon initial installation.

The bottom threads that bolted directly to the triple tree held tight and strong.

...another *wonderful* Scootworks product...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts