Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone in here done an Iron Butt or is planning to do one? I'm planning on doing a 1000/24 next month, if the weather cooperates. Any pointers would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Haven't done one yet, but am considering it, the 1000/24 to start with. I spent a bunch of time reading logs and stuff over at the IBA website, there's some hardcore riders there!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haven't done one yet, but am considering it, the 1000/24 to start with. I spent a bunch of time reading logs and stuff over at the IBA website, there's some hardcore riders there!

Hardcore is too small a term for some of those animals. At 60 years old, the 1000/24 is going to be my limit...........at least for now. We are going to run straight up Interstate 5 from Coalinga to Medford, Oregon and right back home again, all in one leg. I estimate it will take around 16-17 hours total and 14 hours in the saddle. That is the easiest ride I could come up with to start with. If that one goes good we might try the 1500/36 next time but getting some sack time at a motel before returning home.

We are going to do this in May sometime and if possible (time wise), I'll get some pictures to post in here.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I did 750/14 going from bay area to north of Portland, OR, and that was torture due to my knees. I remember falling off the bike and hobbling for a day or two. I guess that means I could do 1000/20 if that would make sense.

Man, those were the days.

·
Registered
260 Posts
My knees suck... I could never do 1000/24 .. I have to get off the bike every few hours... I probably did like 250/24 and I thought that I was doing good...
You guys are Iron Butts...

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I have to jump off every couple hours too, but can definitely last longer than the 250. Unfortunately the wobbling that I used to do when I was done was terrible, made my young wife at the time really wonder what she married. Here I am 15 years later? And will be curious to see what happens.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have four stops planned along the way for gas (I have a 160 mile wall in that department), and breaks. Fifteen or twenty minutes each and then a full hour at Medford for a good meal. My knees are fine, it's my glutimous maximus I am worried about. I have a friction type throttle control and a great backrest. It ain't exactly a Lane recliner, but it's comfortable.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Best of luck with the Iron Butt. We did a charity ride from Lands End to John O'Groats covering the full length of the UK and only used up 862 miles. We did it in 14 hours which isn't bad on our conjested roads :)

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Best of luck with the Iron Butt. We did a charity ride from Lands End to John O'Groats covering the full length of the UK and only used up 862 miles. We did it in 14 hours which isn't bad on our conjested roads :)
This is why I chose Interstate 5. The hwy runs straight up the center of California and has a 70MPH speed limit (which everyone breaks by at least 10MPH). Very little traffic except arount major cities and all the gas stations you'd want. Gosh.....I wish I could leave right now.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Gotta admit, 5 is not bad at all except when you get just below Sacramento and you deal with that long stretch down through Stockton, ugh, it is a killer boring time sometimes. I like 5 in OR and WA just because it is not straight, it is scenic, and does have some sweeping turns at 70 mph, makes it fun.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Stockton and Sacramento both, will be a bear but going up we plan on hitting Sac at 6AM on a Saturday, so it shouldn't be too bad. After Sac the only other metro area will be Redding and it shouldn't be bad at all. Coming back down may be a different story. We'll see.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
You would hit Redding at about 8-9 a.m. though, still pretty early enough, so should not be a problem.

Would be a very good ride, for sure, and since you are only going up through Salem, right? Only real traffic from Sacto should be Salem itself.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Actually, we'll be turning around at Medford. That is the half way point of the roundtrip ride. If I do a 1500/36, Salem, would be just south of my turn around. This is going to be interesting as I am close to 60 and my one riding partner is almost 61. Any bets on us falling out in Redding?? :p

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Naw, I give you Yreka, seeing that big hill going up over the pass, that is a turn-a-round. And you would still get some decent miles in.

If you are doing Medford turn, that should be ok, and since there are rest stops every 45-60 miles, you should be able to handle just fine.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have four stops planned along the way for gas (I have a 160 mile wall in that department), and breaks. Fifteen or twenty minutes each and then a full hour at Medford for a good meal. My knees are fine, it's my glutimous maximus I am worried about. I have a friction type throttle control and a great backrest. It ain't exactly a Lane recliner, but it's comfortable.[/QUOTE]

I have no experience in long distance riding myself, but picked up a couple of ideas from someone on the vn750.com forum a while back.

Get a pair of cramp busters to fit on each grip. You will have a more relaxed hands generally, and especially the right hand when you can't use the throttle lock, for whatever reason.

Have two or three different types of pads to put on the seat in rotation, to avoid saddle sores and numb bum. Something like an Airhawk or gel pad, a sheepskin, (you can make a cheap fake sheep skin from one or two car washing mitts from Wal-Mart), and if you have an old beaded seat pad for a car, redesign and string the shape to fit your bike seat. The main thing is to get some air circulation between you and the seat.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well ladies and gentleman, I am ashamed to say that it is now October and I still haven't made this run. Every time I thought the plan would move forward something happened in my life and I had to postpone. Now the weather is starting to turn cold and I really don't want to hit Shasta when it's 25 degrees F.

We are headed to Solvang this weekend and that ride is a suriety so that will be the last good ride of this season for me. There is always next spring though. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have done the 1000/24 from Denver to Tulare, CA. Probably the biggest thing is going to be a back rest and some highway pegs to stretch out and move around. I did it on a stock seat on my 900 LT and no problems. The biggest thing is to stay hydrated and eat small at fuel stops (granola bars, trail mix, etc.) Also, bring spare socks in case you hitr rain or sweat a lot. It took me just under 20 hours mainly because i was following my wife who was driving with our 2 y/o so there were some bathroom stretch brakes that i didn't have to take. If traffic cooperates you should be able to turn it around and be back in your planned 16-18 hours.

One more thing, keep a charged cell phone and get a good nights rest and keep your shiny side up. Be packed the day before so you can wake up, drink coffee, eat a small breakfast and hit the road safely.

Good luck and keep that shiny side up!!!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have done the 1000/24 from Denver to Tulare, CA. Probably the biggest thing is going to be a back rest and some highway pegs to stretch out and move around. I did it on a stock seat on my 900 LT and no problems. The biggest thing is to stay hydrated and eat small at fuel stops (granola bars, trail mix, etc.) Also, bring spare socks in case you hitr rain or sweat a lot. It took me just under 20 hours mainly because i was following my wife who was driving with our 2 y/o so there were some bathroom stretch brakes that i didn't have to take. If traffic cooperates you should be able to turn it around and be back in your planned 16-18 hours.

One more thing, keep a charged cell phone and get a good nights rest and keep your shiny side up. Be packed the day before so you can wake up, drink coffee, eat a small breakfast and hit the road safely.

Good luck and keep that shiny side up!!!
Thanks for the advice, vulcan 08. I put the backrest when I bought the V2K
and static cruise control last spring. I'm working on the hwy pegs. 10-4 on the light meals at gas stops and lot'sa sleep the night before.......THAT will be the hard part I think. At my age I never sleep more that 5 hours at a time anymore.

The SHINY SIDE will always be up:p

·
Registered
257 Posts
I-5

Oh, yes, indeed, I-5 through the great valley is pretty boring, and much of the time not that pretty - but as you get up by Shasta, and then in parts of Oregon and Washington, there really are some delightful curvy and beautiful sections. I enjoy the ride quite a bit between here in Grass Valley up to Camas Washington just north of Portland - it is about eleven hours, and there is only about two hours or so in the great valley segment. Continuing north there are quite a few nice segments, though there are some flat boring stretches too - I imagine the straight, flat, boring parts make the curvy mountainous ones that much more enjoyable though.:)

·
Registered
72 Posts
My uncle, who was a self employed mechanic and a farmer, used to take a half hour nap, stretched out on the living room floor every day, right after lunch. His wife made sure he never stayed more than 40 minutes though. Owen said that half hour to 40 minutes in the middle of the day was equivalent to two hours at night. Any longer was no good, because then he would feel kind of "draggy" for the rest of the day.

You might consider taking a timer or alarm clock, and stretching out on a roadside picnic table once or twice, if the need arises.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts