Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the site it lives on, first: https://www.scottoiler.com/

So, chain maintenance does annoy me every 400 miles. It's not particularly difficult, and it doesn't really take that long, but it disrupts my day, and keeps me from riding that moment.

This device intrigues me, but I'm wondering if anyone has ever used one before, and can speak to how well it works not just for keeping the chain lubed, but clean, and install on the Vulcan S?

I realize this question may be a bit of a long-shot for finding anyone familiar with it.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
I know couple users here have installed one, but couldn't find where they said much about it afterwards. This page may provide a bit of insight, but you may have seen it already as well.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'd be interested to hear any testimonials from experienced riders here but I've been avidly following Del at 'Delboy's Garage' (@Moonfleet41) on youtube, an experienced and respected mechanic and lifelong rider. I've thought carefully about what he has to say about this product, which essentially is this: oiling the chain frequently (like after every ride) will give your chain a far longer service life than anything you can spray onto it - 40,000 miles from his own experience using this very product.

In light of his view, my own impression is that a scottoiler (or any decent auto oiler) is worthwhile for all but the most casual riders. Not so much because of the touted time-saving aspect in terms of maintenance - if anything I'd imagine an oiled chain will need more cleaning care, not less - but more the money-saving one. That is, if Del's right then the scottoiler will pay for itself after the first change of your chain and sprocket. I'm not presenting any of this as gospel, just the view of an experienced mechanic and rider who I very much respect.

I recall that he made a video where he installed it on one of his bikes. I believe it comes with clear bike-specific instructions and isn't too difficult. If you have trouble finding the vid I should be able to dig it up.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
40,000 miles would be awesome! I managed 20,000 out of my first chain, though I must admit I was far too lax in the chain maintenance department, sometimes going a couple thousand miles before cleaning, lubing, and tightening (don't do that, its bad) and only noticed that I was missing about a 1/4 of the rollers on the chain 2 days before a week long riding vacation. I'll be interested to see how long this current chain lasts now that I'm much more responsible with keeping a well maintained chain.

Hopefully someone who has been running one for a while will pop in and let us know what they think / their results.

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
Back in the day 😁 s lot of street bikes had auto oilers. Worked ok but are messy. Since the S is not running spoke wheels it shouldn't be too hard to keep clean.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had a scottoiler on my previous bike ( Triumph Sprint ST) and it worked well, just a bit messy and expensive.
This time around I went with a manual system that only requires a 1/4 turn of the lid every couple of hundred k's

I've attached the ebay link I bought from and a youtube demo.

regards PendDraig

·
Registered
29 Posts
Here's the site it lives on, first: https://www.scottoiler.com/

So, chain maintenance does annoy me every 400 miles. It's not particularly difficult, and it doesn't really take that long, but it disrupts my day, and keeps me from riding that moment.

This device intrigues me, but I'm wondering if anyone has ever used one before, and can speak to how well it works not just for keeping the chain lubed, but clean, and install on the Vulcan S?

I realize this question may be a bit of a long-shot for finding anyone familiar with it.
I installed the Scottoiler earlier this year, and I have to say I've been happy with it overall. It wasn't too hard to install, with informational support from members here [https://www.vulcanforums.com/threads/help-to-find-vacuum-spigot-or-hose.298650/#post-3011016]

As a new wrencher, it was intimidating to take the gas tank off, and there were bits the service manual didn't help me with because I lack knowledge about certain kinds of clips etc (for example, I still don't know how one releases the clips that attach the venting tubes to the tank, but I found a way around it). And Scottoiler lacks good pictures of the Vulcan S on their install directions, but with a little consultation from more experienced folks, and taking my time, I was successful. When you order the Scottoiler, be sure to get the vacuum damper adapter (6mm, SKU: SCT.SA-0104BL) because the standard one that comes with the kit is too small to fit the Vulcan S vacuum spigot. It is supposed to be free with your order. I had to make my own adaptor because I had a time limit and couldn't/wouldn't wait for the part to be shipped before I put the bike back together.

There are not a lot of options for locating the canister. Scottoiler suggests under the seat, but I wanted to be able to see the canister easily, so I mounted it on a frame tube (see 3rd pic).

As for how the system works, I've been very satisfied. There can be a slight learning curve as to how much to adjust the flow rate for changing ambient temperatures, but after one experience of increasing the flow too much & draining the canister, now I just watch that the chain doesn't look too dry, or that there isn't too much fling onto the back of my license plate, and it doesn't seem that I really need to adjust it much at all... not quite set it & forget it, just need to keep an eye on it. And I haven't had to clean my chain yet since I installed the unit. Apparently you are still supposed to clean the chain, but it just hasn't looked dirty yet!

Below are some pics. First, throttle body located under gas tank and air filter, with vacuum spigots circled. You can use either; I used the one on the right. Second pic with vacuum damper attached to spigot; lower arrow points to standard damper that came with my unit, 2nd arrow my adapter attached to the spigot. Here is the preferred 6mm vacuum damper adapter 3rd pic shows my mounting location, which makes it easy to monitor and refill the canister, and to adjust the flow rate if needed.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
I took one off of my Versys 1000vand went back to Dupont Chain Saver spray. The oil that I used with the Scott was attracting grime. The Dupont Chain Saver Spray cleans then keeps grunge off of the chain. I'm not sure it will make my chain last 40,000 miles but I love the clean look. Zero fling and it seems to lube really well. I got 6 cans at Wallymart and so far I use one in the last 5000 miles. So fast and easy I lube the chain when ever I get back from a ride. Takes less than a minute. I was thinking of using the Chain Saver Teflon on the Scott but just gave it to a friend. For the record I [email protected]$*ing hate chains and my next bike will be a belt or shaft again. This stuff is amazing-just put some cardboard under the chain and spray the sprocket with a once around. Done. Grime drips away, chain looks new.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thanks @motor_psycho. I probably won't mind some extra cleaning if necessary but that's just me. About the fling, I've heard several users say that it's only really an issue if the flow rate's set too high, although I'm sure others won't agree. I believe the oil that scottoiler supplies and recommends for it is much more viscous than the ones some riders have used, which I guess might be somewhat less flingy, although of course it does cost more.

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
Pendraig
just wondering how long you have been using that unit. I noticed that the Ebay unit is a lot less expensive than the Nemo chain oiler and are essentially the same item. I am assuming that you are running the ebay unit? Do you have a picture of the mount ??

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yep, I have the ebay unit, everything inc accessories is the same as the cobra. Can't give you a picture yet as I took it off as Ihave to relocate it due to mounting Givi Luggage racks and ebay backrest/backplate. Hopefullly get to it during the week.

When it was on it was simple, just a quarter turn every tank of petrol. no muss, no fuss.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts