Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like the prospects of not needing to change the rubber every year and the cheaper costs.

Is there a tutorial on here on how to install a car tire myself with recommended tire specs? Thanks!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I like the prospects of not needing to change the rubber every year and the cheaper costs.

Is there a tutorial on here on how to install a car tire myself with recommended tire specs? Thanks!
Im not sure about the VN but I'm going to do that on my Vstrom. Its called going to the dark side. Not sure why but if you find something let me know plz.
Overall what you need is the measurements to not exceed the size of what is on there now, make sure everything clears and you need a all terrain type tire, preferably a snow tire that has good grip and soft rubber.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I found a tire size which would work. Anyone have any idea how difficult this would be to change myself? I don't know if I can find anyone to install a car tire onto my bike.
I usually change my own tires, never tried to put a car tire on though. What size is the tire that will work?
Post pics when you have it on!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Im actively researching one for my VStrom but just put new tires on my VN so it will be a while for me also.
What size will fit on the VN? and what brand tire are you looking at? Where are you located at? Im in CC TX, I can help you change the tire if you are close or willing to travel, I also have a friend who runs a motorcycle repair shop 2 miles from my house. He would do it also!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a custom 900 rear rim if anyone is interested. You will need one to run a car tire on your classic.

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
I have a custom 900 rear rim if anyone is interested. You will need one to run a car tire on your classic.
that's not correct.... you only NEED the custom wheel IF you want to go tubeless.... car tire will go on classic wheel with a tube in it....

·
Registered
142 Posts
Google darkside forums you will find plenty for and against. The one thing almost everyone agrees with is DONT try to do it yourself. Try to find someone who has done it before, people have been hurt mounting the tires wrong.

I intend to go darkside soon as I can.

·
Registered
8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
car tie on your bike terrible idea

A car tire is not designed to be run on the edge any lean in a corner at all and you are going to drastically reduce the contact area of the tire .going to be very unstable cornering . would not recommend this a bike tire has a round profile for a reason

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
I recently went to the "DarkSide' there is a lot of good information here:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/darksiding/start

So far 250 mile in I am loving it myself. I did 90% of the work. Pulled the tire & rim myself, dismounted my old tire (i needed the experience), took the rim to a local CAR tire shop and he was able to mount a tire and get it seated on the rim without any issues.
I used Dyna Beads for balancing, and before you ask yes they work up to 100 MPH so far.

My biggest issue was belt tension, in combination with rear tire alignment. Third try was a charm.

There is a lot to consider:
*tire size
*dismounting
*mounting
*balancing
*getting the bike up in the air high enough (you need a jack!)
*belt tension
*rear tire alignment

My bike handles very, very close to the same as it did with the Dunlop 402.

There is also a ton of information here:
http://darkside.nwff.info/?p=installersList

Do your research! Plan! Execute!

IT IS ALL WORTH IT!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Went to the Dark side 16,000 miles ago on my Classic LT... Rides great, been to the Dragon, Myrtle Beach, Outer Banks and I did the Rolling Thunder D.C. ride. I also ride 2 up quite often. Still have about 7/32's of tread left. Only issue I had was getting the bead to seat when I mounted it. I had the tire sitting out in the sun for a good amount of time and I used plenty of lube but it still took over 100psi and a few attempts to get it to bead up. Tire I went with was the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS. It's 195/65/15. From what I find from all the research I've done the negative comments usually come from the people who never rode on a car tire before. Not to say they are bad people but they seem to just have closed minds... Not able to think outside the box. Not willing to try different things. So many have went Darkside with positive results, me included and although I will never try to convince anyone to switch, I will say that for me, if I ever have the choice, I will never go back to a conventional motorcycle rear tire...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Went to the Dark side 16,000 miles ago on my Classic LT... Rides great, been to the Dragon, Myrtle Beach, Outer Banks and I did the Rolling Thunder D.C. ride. I also ride 2 up quite often. Still have about 7/32's of tread left. Only issue I had was getting the bead to seat when I mounted it. I had the tire sitting out in the sun for a good amount of time and I used plenty of lube but it still took over 100psi and a few attempts to get it to bead up. Tire I went with was the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS. It's 195/65/15. From what I find from all the research I've done the negative comments usually come from the people who never rode on a car tire before. Not to say they are bad people but they seem to just have closed minds... Not able to think outside the box. Not willing to try different things. So many have went Darkside with positive results, me included and although I will never try to convince anyone to switch, I will say that for me, if I ever have the choice, I will never go back to a conventional motorcycle rear tire...
Did you use a tube or did you seal the spokes?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts