Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Can someone please explain how my friends Vulcan 800 pulled 9 more HP than my 900?

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Can someone please explain how my friends Vulcan 800 pulled 9 more HP than my 900?
Two components to this equation. Take EPA times No Fuel Processor equals Reduced Performance.

The bikes run leaner than they ought to from the factory. Add aftermarket exhaust and it's even a bit more lean (A principal reason some say aftermarket exhaust causes you to lose power, they think backpressure somehow creates power which isn't true; the truth is they've just leaned it out which has reduced performance). Your bike is more restricted than your friends 800 (EPA), and since his bike has a carb, it's quite possible it's been properly adjusted to have the right A/F mixture!

Put a fuel processor on there and get it tuned on the Dyno and you'll pickup some power. Better yet, aftermarket intake AND a processor, with a Dyno session, and you'll have a LOT more power.

Unfortunately due to various emissions restrictions the 900 is not a powerful motor out of the box, but a little bit of work can go a long way in opening it up!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts