Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 Vulcan 900 Classic (3rd owner)
I noticed a few days ago the fan not kicking on as much as normal while riding or when I pull into the driveway from work. Today I left work and went to the gas station and filled up and then when I attempted to start the bike it made a buzzing sound and that was it. Took the seat off checked the battery connections and wiggled the terminals, waited about ten minutes and tried again, started right up. I got it home (about a 5 min ride) and left it in the driveway running. went inside to talk to the wife came back out and the bike was actually off... tried to restart at which point the FI light was blinking and the bike wouldn't even make a sound. I let it sit. Took this time to flush the coolant and swap it out with new. (probably needed it) the whole time i changed the coolant had the bike on the trickle charger, which is still showing its charging, which means its pretty low. I am new to the bike and am not too knowledgeable on the bike. Once I got everything buttoned up she started right up, ran for about 10mins but the fan never came on. I guess the question is could the low battery be the cause of the fan not running? or do I need to think somewhere else. started looking up fans and 400.00!? holy crap.. sorry this is so long but I'm at the mercy of googling the symptoms.. which hasn't really worked...

·
Registered
397 Posts
Usually, the fan will not come on when the coolant is below the temp sensor. The temp sensor in high in the coolant system (near the radiator cap). When you refilled the coolant, did you check that the overflow bottle has coolant in it? If it does not, then the system is not full. It needs to be full for the fan to work correctly.

·
Registered
11,753 Posts
Do a charging system voltage check.
Fan is controlled by ECU and if battery voltage is low, ECU may sink into the valley of the unknown.
Also, your other symptoms are pointing to do this check.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Usually, the fan will not come on when the coolant is below the temp sensor. The temp sensor in high in the coolant system (near the radiator cap). When you refilled the coolant, did you check that the overflow bottle has coolant in it? If it does not, then the system is not full. It needs to be full for the fan to work correctly.
I thought maybe the same thing. The overflow bottle was below the low line before I flushed the system. When I replaced the coolant made sure to fill that as well. Ran the bike at idle for a bit but fan never came on. Let it run for about 10 minutes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fan is controlled by ECU and if battery voltage is low, ECU may sink into the valley of the unknown.
I will if I can get the procedures... Is there information within the service manual?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Sfair makes a good point. Just put the leads from your meter across the terminals of the battery, while the bike is running.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sfair makes a good point. Just put the leads from your meter across the terminals of the battery, while the bike is running.
I will do some digging in the manual and here in the forum to see what voltage I'm looking for under load.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
So a low battery could cause the fan to just stop working? I noticed the fan not coming on the other night and then on Thursday the bike had a problem starting after work, then yesterday when I stopped and got the gas it wouldn't start until it sat for a bit. Would it be a good idea just to replace the battery? Do not know when it was replaced by the po.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
It's your money, but I am not an advocate of swapnostics as first line troubleshooting.

There sometimes come a time for that when you've eliminated all other possibilities but not even close to that point in this case.

·
Registered
11,753 Posts
Read over the sticky at the top of the 900 forum, then post back with any questions.

2006 900's are known for charging system issues which you seem to be having.
Do this first and then the fan issue can come later.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok just got home from work checked out the voltage.. had been on the battery tender all night. unplugged it and the readings were as follows:
KEY OFF: 12.8-13.0
ON START UP: 10.6 (then back to 12.26)
IDLE: 12.29 does not raise from that point starts dropping while running

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your test has failed.
Read over sticky for the next steps.
Ok read over the sticky on the stator. Believe I was able to do most of the tests.. did not want run the test 1 due to having to run the bike. Unless deemed needed.
Did do test II Ohms
Red lead to each white wire and BLK lead to ground. Got all OOO

As for test III
I think I did it correctly here's my results tell me if I screwed the pooch

BLK to BLK , RD TO WHI 1= 000
BLK TO BLK , RD TO WHI 2= 000
". " , RD TO WHI 3= 000

RD TO BLK , BLK TO WHI 1 = 000
". " , BLK TO WHI 2 = 000
". " , BLK TO WHI 3 = 000

BLK TO RD, RD TO WHI 1 = 12.4
". ", RD TO WHI 2= 12.4
". ", RD TO WHI 3= 12.4

RD TO RD , BLK TO WHI 1= 12.4
". ". BLK TO WHI 2= 12.4
'. ". BLK TO WHI 3= 12.4

think that is what needed..side note did find alittle moisture inside the connection for the R/R plug. Now where do I go from here..lol

·
Registered
11,753 Posts
If you unplugged reg/rect, went to any stator white lead with red meter lead, black meter lead to battery ground, (battery positive disconnected) and read 0 ohms, then stator is shorted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Don't know too much about the electronics so I'll leave that to the others here. But if parts is what you need do your wallet a favor and check ebay first. if you know what your looking for or can read part numbers off kawi OE page you can find many used parts for waaaaaay cheaper! have done it several times with great results(just a note make sure they accept returns/exchanges) 1 time been burned because they had all right info listed but it was actually the wrong part that was sent... just do your homework and you'll be fine. Good luck w/ the rest

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think I need some help (radiator fan) - reply

Just a thought - it may not be this but if it is it will save you a lot of headaches.

I have a 99 Vulcan 1500E but I've had many bikes over the years.
I was also a back yard mechanic with a good reputation for many years in my younger days (70's).

The fan shouldn't be on much unless your stopped in traffic or it really hot out or something.
On a hot day mine will kick on more often like if I'm going too slow for too long such as ridding in a lower gear do to a very low speed limit but not so much when it's cooler out.

There are ways to test the system and see if the fan is coming on at the right time.
Or you could pull the thermostat and test that in a bowl of boiling water but I've also have had problems with the Neutral safety switch.

Some times when I go to start it it will make a clicking noise like it has a dead battery and even though I know from the past that isn't the problem I still have a moment of panic when it happens because it sounds so very much like that.
I almost replaced the battery the first time it happened.

The clutch safety switch works fine so if I pull the clutch lever in at that point the bike starts up strong.
(I need to change that neutral switch but I haven't gotten around to it yet).
It doesn't do it all the time so it may just be that it's sensitive to it being exactly in the right place when it's in neutral.

USE CAUTION IF YOU DO THE FLOWING and MAKE SURE THE BIKE IS IN NEUTRAL before you try to start it.
There is a way to bypass those switches but I would only do it if I was stuck or to diagnose a problem.
If I disconnect the wire from those switches then (I don't remember off the top of my head) but it's either connecting them together or just leaving then hanging - one way or the other bypasses them.

Like I said though - they are safety switches and they are there for a reason so I would only recommend disconnecting them unless you are either trying to diagnose something or you are stuck somewhere and you suspect both of them are malfunctioning and if those have been bypassed always MAKE SURE THE BIKE IS IN NEUTRAL when you go to start it.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
If either of those safety switches are working correctly you have no need to bypass anything.

You should be able to start the bike by making sure the clutch lever is pulled in and the bike is in neutral.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

P.S.
There is another safety switch on the kickstand that has screwed me at least once (not thinking so clearly day) I kept trying to take off but every time I let the clutch out the bike would stall until I realized the kickstand was still down.
That is a nice feature.
In the old days on occasion I would take off not realizing the kickstand was down and when I started to lean to the left the bike would jump over about a foot and scare the heck out of me.
I never went down from it but I could have.

Good luck
StephenJP

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
Just a thought - it may not be this but if it is it will save you a lot of headaches.

I have a 99 Vulcan 1500E but I've had many bikes over the years.
I was also a back yard mechanic with a good reputation for many years in my younger days (70's).
Welcome to the forums!

Please fill in your profile to include your bike/location info and that
is easier using a PC vs the app. This will help others answer questions you may ask knowing what year and model bike you have.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
If you unplugged reg/rect, went to any stator white lead with red meter lead, black meter lead to battery ground, (battery positive disconnected) and read 0 ohms, then stator is shorted.
also wanted to verify the R/R either worked or was shot too.. pulled the connector used the diode test function and got no readings. Did Bk to Bk Rd to a,b,c and the Rd to Bk. Bk to a,b,c nothing. Also rechecked the ohms for the stator, From the connector.. all three white wires with red lead BLK lead to batt ground show 2.4 @ the 200 ohm position. ( If I connect both leads it shows 1.5 on my meter and never 000's) I know I'm asking the same questions and looking for extra help this is my first venture into owning a bike and I want to make sure I'm getting this right.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok I hope this is the final post.. I got my R/R, stator, and new gasket from Rick's on Friday evening. Pulled the girl apart and had it back together for the most part just had to solder the connectors this afternoon after work and fill her with oil. Took her for a quick ride and boom got home and the fan kicked on... Guess that drain on the battery really had the old girl acting up. Think everything is on the up and up will keep.monitoring the situation...lol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts