Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working on getting a comfortable seating position on my new to me 1700 Nomad.

I put Chucksters handlebar risers on and they look nice and now I don't have to lean forward anymore. I can confirm they fit like a glove and don't require any hose or cable adjustments on my 2012 1700 Nomad.

I still needed a little back support so I got the Grasshopper driver backrest. Very easy to install but useless right out of the box. After putting it in the vise and and giving it a little persuasion a few times, it now seems to give better support.
It's raining today and forecast for rain the next six days in a row. So it will be awhile before I know if I like it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Did it work well out of the box or did you have to do any mods to to the Bakup?
I took it out of the box....installed it. Only adjustment is when I am or am not wearing heavy clothing/jacket to adjust forward/backword via a thumbscrew on the back. Solid and heavy duty construction. No wobble or cheap feel. I had just bought a brand new Voyager Jan. 2017 and wanted a backrest. Was not going to buy something cheap.....in almost 6 decades of riding I learned early that on aftermarket stuff you get what you pay for. My 2 cents.......Oh....when I bought it I only paid like $250 new. You might check Ebay etc. Good luck. It has served me well for 3 riding seasons.....https://www.amazon.com/Bakup-Driver-Backrest-Adjustable-BAK-K-1700-NOM/dp/B0041CG26Y

·
Registered
338 Posts
I've had my Grasshopper for 5 years, 40,000 miles. I love my Grasshopper! What is it you don't like about yours? Just curious.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've had my Grasshopper for 5 years, 40,000 miles. I love my Grasshopper! What is it you don't like about yours? Just curious.
Right out of the box it sat too far back. I was in a recliner like position.I just had to bend it forward to give me more support. I need to get a friend to spot weld a couple of places on the stem so it does not go too far down into the holding bracket.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Right out of the box it sat too far back. I was in a recliner like position.I just had to bend it forward to give me more support. I need to get a friend to spot weld a couple of places on the stem so it does not go too far down into the holding bracket.
I admit I adjusted mine, but only needed to once. That was about 3 years ago. I haven't had any problem with it bending since and have ridden to Maine and back, Wisconsin and back, and Yellowstone and back, all from central Texas. Lots of miles! I like the way it "flexes" a little vs. being rigid in place. Further adjustment options would be nice, but for the price I don't think it can be beat. FYI, after 5 years and in all kinds of weather it show no wear and still looks like new. (I do keep my Nomad garaged when home). Its design also closely matches the pillion seat back. Good luck in your search!!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like it so far. I think it will work out fine. I just need to tinker with a bit to get the adjustment right.
You are correct it matches my Nomad seats very well and looks like a OEM part

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BTW....I have a Voyager...not sure if they make one for the Nomad.

Yes I checked and they make one for the nomad.
Their website doesn't give a lot of info though and was not sure how adjustable it was. Don't mind paying the extra cash if the adjustability is better.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yes I checked and they make one for the nomad.
Their website doesn't give a lot of info though and was not sure how adjustable it was. Don't mind paying the extra cash if the adjustability is better.
The adjustability is backward/forward via a thumbscrew in the back. No up/down

·
Registered
81 Posts
Bought my first New Voyager oct. 30, 2010...put 49000 miles on that one. Got a 2012 Voyager in 2017...….. traded that one last august on a brand new 2019 Voyager....Just turned 3600 miles on this one...!!!! Love these bikes...!!!!! I've had the same GrassHopper backrest (that I bought used on ebay for 50 bucks in 2010) on all 3 of these bikes...!!! Not one reason I can think of to spend 200 to 300 dollars more for one with a thumb screw adj.....??? Just my 2 cents.... BTW …..This back rest still looks great....!!!! :cool:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bought my first New Voyager oct. 30, 2010...put 49000 miles on that one. Got a 2012 Voyager in 2017...….. traded that one last august on a brand new 2019 Voyager....Just turned 3600 miles on this one...!!!! Love these bikes...!!!!! I've had the same GrassHopper backrest (that I bought used on ebay for 50 bucks in 2010) on all 3 of these bikes...!!! Not one reason I can think of to spend 200 to 300 dollars more for one with a thumb screw adj.....??? Just my 2 cents.... BTW …..This back rest still looks great....!!!! :cool:
Appreciate the feedback.
Sounds like the grasshopper is very durable. Nice to know

1 - 14 of 14 Posts