Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I'm new here :)
I have an important question i have a kawasaki vulcan 900 lt 2007 and i need to replace its battery and i'm wondering if this one might work
LINK

thanks for the help

·
Registered
976 Posts
says it does. Get a Battery Float charger too while you're at it and wire the battery for remote access for the charger. If you don't ride or are not going to ride for several days-weeks, plug that sucker in and let it be tended. It will make the battery last longer.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
AGM batteries will not tolerate the same discharge levels as standard wet-cell batteries, and do not like to be overcharged. You would probably be fine with a physically larger size AGM battery, but of course you do not have the room for it here.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Looks like something I would be intersted in,I was wanting a AGM for my next battery,had one in my XS650,but it cost $50.00.Id like to hear if anyone has tried one of these ,the price almost seams to good to be true

·
Registered
441 Posts
Pay almost $9000 for a bike and then barely $30 for a battery? Don't buy a bargain basement battery unless you are selling your machine.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Yeah, hard to believe it's THAT cheap! $16.89 + $13 shipping... but who knows. I guess I would be a little skeptical at first.

One thing I've done on ebay purchases (when I wasn't quite sure if I really wanted it or not), is search through the seller's feedback and try to find someone who also already bought one of that same item. Then I contact that buyer directly and politely ask for their opinion now that they have it. I've had some things confirmed for me both ways... some that I've ended up buying after all and some that I turned away from. Might be worth a try!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Caution!!!

I didn't go to the thread, but judging from the replies given ....There is no such thing as a free lunch, and magic is nothing more than an illusion.
Now, I have a little (lot actually) knowledge of batteries....AGM is the way to go, and you WILL pay for the technology! I use Odyssey brand exclusively on my Airplanes, and my motorcycles. I had a 98 Moto-Guzzi in which I installed the battery and relocated the ECU right in the tray next to it, freeing up under-seat space. They have a ridiculously long shelf life (military requirements), take discharge and recharge as well as deep cycle batteries, and are very powerfull for their size. You do need the proper charger, and they "should" be charged to a higher voltage than the bike will give...saying that, I never charged the one in the M-G, and it would sit for months at a time, and the battery was three years on the shelf before installation!
I started my TAHOE with it one day to prove a point to a non-believer!
My Vulcan will get one as soon as the time comes ...the previous owner already installed anotherbrand AGM last year.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Pay almost $9000 for a bike and then barely $30 for a battery? Don't buy a bargain basement battery unless you are selling your machine.
Why not? It's a bargain basement bike. If it gets the job done any extra money spent is money wasted. Now, this is ONLY if the battery will do the job, but as you may have actually missed this bike that cost 9000 bucks comes with a battery from a manufacturer that regularly has problems lasting longer then a year with people that I KNOW ride constantly.

That being said, mine is at least 3.5 years old and has been dead three times, once when I left the key on, once when the bike shop had it for 4 weeks and didn't unplug the battery and my XM charger was operating well, not the whole time but just till the battery was dead, and again when I hooked my battery float charger up on a timed circuit and the circuit didn't run long enough to make up for the loss through the 12 volt adapter that I used (has an led and the not a one way circuit in it).

Usually just going flat is enough to seriously shorten the life of a lead/acid battery of this type.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Why not? It's a bargain basement bike. If it gets the job done any extra money spent is money wasted.
That would seem to preclude the purchases of liquid gold motor oil, platinum filters, upgraded lighting, squeaky pulleys, cosmo car tires, more chrome, kury grips, mustang seats, noisy pipes, ......
Clean, are you becoming a minimalist?:eek:

·
Registered
441 Posts
Why not? It's a bargain basement bike. If it gets the job done any extra money spent is money wasted. Now, this is ONLY if the battery will do the job, but as you may have actually missed this bike that cost 9000 bucks comes with a battery from a manufacturer that regularly has problems lasting longer then a year with people that I KNOW ride constantly.

That being said, mine is at least 3.5 years old and has been dead three times, once when I left the key on, once when the bike shop had it for 4 weeks and didn't unplug the battery and my XM charger was operating well, not the whole time but just till the battery was dead, and again when I hooked my battery float charger up on a timed circuit and the circuit didn't run long enough to make up for the loss through the 12 volt adapter that I used (has an led and the not a one way circuit in it).

Usually just going flat is enough to seriously shorten the life of a lead/acid battery of this type.
Why not? Because I am not cheap. I like getting a good deal as much as the next person but not at the point where my safety and or convenience may be compromised. I have a half hour lunch. It's a half hour paid lunch. This means my 30 minutes I grab a bite is paid for. From 31-35 minutes I get paid for my lunch but do not get paid for 1-5 minutes beyond. At 36 minutes I lose it all. I do not have time to screw around with a battery that may start my bike when it feels like it just because I wanted to save $40 or so. Also unlike my other previous bikes that were carb'ed an EFI bike needs 12.6 volts to not only crank over but allow the ECM to function properly so it will pulse the injectors and fire the ignition etc.

My bike was one model year old when I bought it, it was a left over. I have owned it for a year and a half. Last winter I did not own a trickle charger but this winter I will be rotating between the LT and the Nomad keeping them charged. I fully expect that as year 3 approaches (both are 2008's) that I will need batteries and if I don't, sweet. Neither bike is going to get some cheapo battery.

I also don't consider either bike a "bargain basement" machine. However if you think $9000 is bargain basement for you, OK. I mean $8600 for an LT is a deal when you consider what you get in accessories VS the plain classic and you get an additional year warranty.

Still you only get out of your investment what you put into it. So if someone is comfortable rolling the hard six and trying out something cheap so be it. As for me I would rather spend a bit more and have peace of mind.

·
Registered
976 Posts
That would seem to preclude the purchases of liquid gold motor oil, platinum filters, upgraded lighting, squeaky pulleys, cosmo car tires, more chrome, kury grips, mustang seats, noisy pipes, ......
Clean, are you becoming a minimalist?:eek:
Shhhh,,, I'm just throwing the observation out. You can spend as much as you want to, or as little as necessary.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Shhhh,,, I'm just throwing the observation out. You can spend as much as you want to, or as little as necessary.
dang, that's a steal of a price...looks great too...25 sold and most were positive ratings...well...i saw last 5 sales of this battery.

anyways, am wondering...on some of the actual yuasa made batteries they list that it comes with acid that you'll need to pour into the battery and then initial charge...do ya think all these agm batteries are like that...the reason being...can I just buy this now and then hold on to it ...then, when I'm ready to use it...pour in acid, charge up through wall outlet...and then use.

think i got it figured out...some sellers will load their batteries and it's ready for plug and play...while Yuasa's keep acid on the side until ready to go???

Cause, i just looked at a Scorpion battery and it said load tested and ready to go...and they talked about not selling stale batteries (guessing...where acid has sat there for a while...blah, blah, blah...)???

·
Registered
10 Posts
AGM has no "free" acid. It is all absorbed...put a bullet through the battery, no leaks. Put a screwdriver through it, no leaks...It's ready to go when you get it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts