Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have replaced my stock pips with cobra dragsters and i regret it , i had debaffeled the stock pips , drilled and removed the center screen now i want them back , don't know how to return it back it's hard to put the pieces back together and it's hard to buy new ones ( 1000 $ ) to much .

- the stock pips were very calm, quite and i remember injoying riding the bike, now it sounds loud and it doesn't make me concetrate on enjoying the riding part . yes i admit loud noise is safer because iam more notisabule now but long solo rides with just the sound of the wind is the idea of riding a cruiser .

if any one knows were to get stock pips , let me know

·
Registered
66 Posts
Watch the for sale section. People sell their stock pipes fairly cheap when they replace them with aftermarket pipes. I recently did a full bebaffle on my stock pipes and it is a little louder than I expected but has a great rumble to it. I don't see myself looking for either aftermarket or stock pipes anytime in the future.

·
Registered
148 Posts
yea or ebay, heck put up a trade ur dragsters for stock pipes and have them add $$, their happy and you're happy.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My bike had Dragsters on it when I bought it from the dealer. They just gave me a set of stock pipes, which are in a box in my shed.

The Dragsters were a little loud for me, too. So I bought a set of Hard Kore baffles from smartpartz.com. It's now a little quieter at highway speeds, and MUCH quieter at idle and lower RPM's (like cruising around town). They still have a good growl when you open the throttle.

So that is one option that is cheaper than buying a set of pipes, even if the difference at highway speeds isn't as much as you might like.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
yes i admit loud noise is safer because iam more notisabule now
Even that isn't true. There are FAR better ways to be noticed than by producing loud noises projected mostly rearward. Visibility, proper lane positioning, safety gear, and even a good horn used appropriately are all far better ways to keep yourself safe on the road.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Even that isn't true. There are FAR better ways to be noticed than by producing loud noises projected mostly rearward. Visibility, proper lane positioning, safety gear, and even a good horn used appropriately are all far better ways to keep yourself safe on the road.
Excellent point!

My 1+ was actually refering to his wanting to go back to stock. Less noise.

Loud Pipes Save Lives is an good slogan but holds little merit. It is my understanding that most cage/bike accidents are caused by the car driver not seeing the bike.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Heck, ask that Tulsa cop who had lights, sirens AND a busa who still got run into. You're invisible and un hearable, deal with it.

But realistically, sometimes they may hear you. Some times they may see you. In those sometimes those methods HAVE saved lives. But you being on the gaurd and knowning that you're invisible and silent and riding like it will save you big time.

I'd pick that pair up off Ebay. His scratch on the bottom pipe is on the heat shield. If your old one is still good you can just swap it. 70 bucks is bargain basement. Good pipes with no major damage should go 100-125 on the bay or usually do. I'd be suprised if that is the only set available.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have some pipes for sale,stage 1&2 debaffled.also with bracket & covers
$100.us plus shipping
pm if you want to see pics they are like new

·
Registered
451 Posts
I'm happy with stock pipes. My buddy's 900 has Cobra slash cuts, and they get old in a hurry riding behind him on the highway.

If I'm behind him, I gotta be 75 yards back to hear my bike at all! That's rediculous. He's happy, though.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Have though about new pipes but the stock pipes are so dam nice looking there flow with the design of the bike

·
Registered
249 Posts
My wife wanted some new pipes for her V-Star 650 so I got her the Cobra Short Shots. Beautiful pipes with a beautiful sound and, most importantly, she loves them. For me though, I'm a stock pipes kind of guy. Maybe I'm getting old, but I just don't want my exhaust to be so loud.

Can't say I'm really happy with the sound of the 900 stock pipes (someone once compared it to a sewing machine), but I am happy with the decibel range so I doubt I'll ever switch to something else.

·
Registered
96 Posts
For me though, I'm a stock pipes kind of guy. Maybe I'm getting old, but I just don't want my exhaust to be so loud.
Hear, hear...figuratively and literally...quiet pipes save ears.

Can't say I'm really happy with the sound of the 900 stock pipes (someone once compared it to a sewing machine), but I am happy with the decibel range so I doubt I'll ever switch to something else.
I can say I'm really happy with the 9 stockers. If one wants to hear a real "sewing machine", buy a Prius. IMHO, when I get on the throttle, the combo of intake and exhaust note of the 9 is PLENTY to satisfy whatever instinctual need it is that motorcyclists seem to crave.

·
Registered
159 Posts
How about a simple and inexpensive solution? Ear plugs are inexpensive and there are many types. If the bike is running well and the only problem is the increased noise, why spend lots of money and time on it?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
That's not going to solve his problem. He didn't want to plug his ears so that he could hear LESS, he wanted to quiet his pipes so that he could hear MORE.
I agree that it's not the solution to this problem. However, you may be amazed by how much you can hear with ear plugs in. Unless I'm just running around town, they're always in. A trip on the highway is much more pleasant with them in. Cuts down on the wind and engine drone but you can still hear the important noises around you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
That is all true, however, most bikes don't have a real loud horn, I know the one on mine couldn't even be heard over the stock pipes. Loader pipes do get people noticed more, especially in and around towns. At highway speeds maybe not, but I know that I have pulled in the clutch and opened the throttle several times to get the attention of drivers backing out, or waiting to turn and they have always looked. So both are true.

·
Registered
742 Posts
definitely agree with the loudness not being a factor... however, with that said i just bought my custom with vance & hines and the baffles were removed by the previous owner... VERY LOUD... but it doesn't bother me (yet)...

biggest problem NOW (summer) is most people have their windows up with the A/C on so they won't hear you anyway?!?!

·
Registered
245 Posts
definitely agree with the loudness not being a factor... however, with that said i just bought my custom with vance & hines and the baffles were removed by the previous owner... VERY LOUD... but it doesn't bother me (yet)...

biggest problem NOW (summer) is most people have their windows up with the A/C on so they won't hear you anyway?!?!
In your case they will hear you. I had mine out for about a week and going to bike shows and hang outs and such were just fine. People freak when they ask what bike it is and then I start it and leave. But you loose wayy to much torque without them, also kill your mileage from no backpressure. I'd find some baffles if I were you.

·
Registered
96 Posts
...but I know that I have pulled in the clutch and opened the throttle several times to get the attention of drivers backing out, or waiting to turn and they have always looked...
And I've done the same with the same results with stock pipes. BUT, I've had WAY more success catching cagers' eyes with my headlight modulator...WAY MORE.

·
Registered
742 Posts
In your case they will hear you. I had mine out for about a week and going to bike shows and hang outs and such were just fine. People freak when they ask what bike it is and then I start it and leave. But you loose wayy to much torque without them, also kill your mileage from no backpressure. I'd find some baffles if I were you.
hey... ever hard anything about these?? (anyone)

http://stores.smartpartz.com/-strse-27/quiet,-baffles,-Hard,-Kore,/Detail.bok

i am trying to see if V&H sells replacement baffles and for how much...

thanks

1 - 20 of 41 Posts