Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day to all this is my first post.

A year and a half ago I had a mishap with my vulcan 2000. I was running a power commander and had one of the ignition circuits stop working. I nursed the bike home on one cyclinder and parked it for the season. Yesterday I removed the malfunctioning power commander and hooked up the standard ignition. When I started up the bike the engine was ticking very loudly. I turned it off and checked the oil. It was 2 qts low. Apparently when running it home last year on one cyclider the fuel washed the oil from the cylinder walls and I burt a lot of oil. I added oil to the correct level and started it up. It sounds much better but I stll hear a ticking sound. It is not as loud as it was, but I wonder is it is normal and I am just overreacting.

Does anyone else hear a ticking sound from the engine. Not an extremly loud one, just a little bit.

i was wondering if the fuel could have thinned the oil? I read the service manual and the oil light has not come on for incorrect viscossity.

Anyone have any input.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Fuel washing oil off the cylinder walls will not significantly increase oil consumption (at least, not enough to offset all the oil that's leaking down into the crank case). There is some other explanation for being two quarts low.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
My VN2K is almost new, only 2k miles, and the engine makes ticking noises. I don't know if they're the same kind of ticking noises as yours or not.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
tik, tik, tik, tik.... boom?

My VN2K is almost new, only 2k miles, and the engine makes ticking noises. I don't know if they're the same kind of ticking noises as yours or not.
wru, at idle the oil pressure is most likely a bit low and the hydraulic lifters are not fully expanded. mine does the same thing. I wouldn't worry about it. all my big twins do this at idle. when at running rpm's the oil pressure is up and the lifters are fully extended, I'm sure valve tappet clearance is next to zero, tho you can't hear it over the roar of the motor.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Well, I'm not too worried, although I do wish the engine was a bit quieter at idle and low RPM...I'm still use to my I4 crotch rocket engine that sounds like a swiss watch in comparison. Not that the VN2K runs bad, it seems to run great, just much more clicky-clacky type noises in comparison.

Mine seems to click-clack worst with a slight to moderate rev on the engine, then almost seems quieter at idle and then again as revs go up even more. Purrs like a kitten at highway speeds, well maybe a lion now with the Vance & Hines Powershots, but you get my drift.

I keep all maintenance records and have the longest Kawasaki Good Times Protection Plan just in case... :)

C

·
0 Posts
I just bought a new 09 and the mechanic that went over the bike with me said it was normal when I brought it up. Maybe they all do it at idle. dunno

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks everyone

thanks everyone.

I am going to change the oil and filter. And then check it out again. Since the consensus is that all vulcans have a tick at low rpms, that makes me feel better.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 06 v2k Lt started to tick on start up and idle at about 18,000 Mi. I changed the oil and used 1 pint of Marvel Mistery oil and 4 and 1/2 Qts. of Castrol GTX 10w40. The motor has been nice and quiet every cents, 46,000 Mi. I think it is the H. L. A. need a little more lube.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts