Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says, but I know there are a few GM mechanics out there. I have a few questions pertaining to the trans in my GMC sierra. It has the 4L60E trans. When driving down the road at 60-65 mph in it feel like I loose all power and then it will thump back in gear. Its not slipping or gradually losing power, it's all of a sudden. It has not been doing this long and is very infrequent. Also it only happens when it kicks on up in to OD. I like to old truck and don't want to send it to the junkyard in the sky if I don't have to.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Have you checked the fluid in it lately? Does it have enough? When was the last time it was changed? Is it the red it is supposed to be? Does it have metal floaties?

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I changed fluid and filter last year (5k miles ago or so). I changed the fluid when I started having these problems. They went away (or so I thought) until 3 months ago. Like I said they are very intermittent. The fluid I removed did not look too awful bad, but not great either. I recheck my fluid and it dose not smell burnt and still look nice and red and also at correct level. The trans has about 235K miles on it. I know its been around the block a few times and is probably just worn out.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Well back in the day there was an adjustment on the outside of the trans that you could adjust the bands, you use a torque wrench to adjust them. it sounds like a band slipping to me

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
If it was a band slipping wouldn't be doing it in at least one other gear? I am not much of a transmission kinda of guy. Don't have a lot of experience with them. I will have to check in to that. I would like to check the stuff I can from the outside before I start to think about a rebuild.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Where I worked in maintenance last, we had a 1/2 ton Dodge that would jerk and was slow going into overdrive. If I remember right, it was a timing sencer that had gone bad. No engine light that I can remember, but its possible you have a crank sencer or another sencer going out. With the newer vehicles, it seems all the sencer are linked at some point.

·
Registered
113 Posts
check the little electrical plug that plugs into the side. This controls torque converter lock up as I recall. If it is loose or the wire is broken/ grounding elsewhere, it could cause the converter to lock/unlock off and on.

·
Registered
44 Posts
4L60E has no bands. All clutch packs. Did you use a scan tool to look for transmission fault codes?
Also...did you use the fluid specified for that transmission (and not some generic which may be based on an outdated GM spec)?

Believe it or not, the right fluid means all the difference...and no, you do not have to get it at a GM dealer. You just have to get the right fluid at the current specification or better.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
check the little electrical plug that plugs into the side. This controls torque converter lock up as I recall. If it is loose or the wire is broken/ grounding elsewhere, it could cause the converter to lock/unlock off and on.
That is exactly what it feels like. I will have to check out.

4L60E has no bands. All clutch packs. Did you use a scan tool to look for transmission fault codes?
Also...did you use the fluid specified for that transmission (and not some generic which may be based on an outdated GM spec)?

Believe it or not, the right fluid means all the difference...and no, you do not have to get it at a GM dealer. You just have to get the right fluid at the current specification or better.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I feel that I am ok with the fluid I got. The guy that works at the parts store is an ASE certified mechanic and teaches the auto mechanics class at the vocation school. he works at the parts store on the side.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts