Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know " Not another Tire Thread" :laugh2:but I had to ask for help

Just got my 2007 Vulcan Nomad VN1600D aka Candy tires are at about 40%
and I would like to change them for the next riding season.
I think I would like to put on some whitewalls and radials instead of Bias
and go a lil bigger on the rear tire say to a 180 maybe...
What are your thoughts and experiences with this. All Opinions and
suggestions are welcome. And any precise info on tires and deals with the website
will be greatly appreciated with any other suggestions on Mods to improve the bike performance.

Thanks in advance. Hope to hear from all the experts and Guru's on here.

·
Registered
736 Posts
You asked FOR OPINIONS - and here they come -
I've got this tire and ...
I've got this tire ...
I've got this and it give xxxxx miles...

And none of it will help - sorry as you stated not another tire thread.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
Some have used radials on the rear and were happy with them, but it is generally not recommended on big cruisers because radials are not designed to handle the lateral stresses big cruisers put on the rear tire. Some mfg have put radials on the front and bias on the rear of some sport cruisers, but again, not in the same weight range as a 1600 and the bike geometries were designed for using radial tires in the front. Also, to never put radials on the rear and bias on the front was strongly recommended.

I thought about going radial for a while and I even asked for user experiences, but after doing a lot of study, I decided against using radials at all on my Voyager. I suggest you do some serious web searching before you go that route. Not many have used radials on big cruisers and no one who had managed to get full use out of a set of tires responded. I got a few "I got xxxx miles and liked them, but I got a nail before they were worn out" responses. That sent up some red flags for me, since that seemed to be a common failure, so I decided to do more research and found out what I said in the first paragraph.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some have used radials on the rear and were happy with them, but it is generally not recommended on big cruisers because radials are not designed to handle the lateral stresses big cruisers put on the rear tire. Some mfg have put radials on the front and bias on the rear of some sport cruisers, but again, not in the same weight range as a 1600 and the bike geometries were designed for using radial tires in the front. Also, to never put radials on the rear and bias on the front was strongly recommended.

I thought about going radial for a while and I even asked for user experiences, but after doing a lot of study, I decided against using radials at all on my Voyager. I suggest you do some serious web searching before you go that route. Not many have used radials on big cruisers and no one who had managed to get full use out of a set of tires responded. I got a few "I got xxxx miles and liked them, but I got a nail before they were worn out" responses. That sent up some red flags for me, since that seemed to be a common failure, so I decided to do more research and found out what I said in the first paragraph.
Great info Thank you very much.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had the same bike from 2007 until last year and i used shinko for white walls and liked them very much. I am still riding shinko on my new ride.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had the same bike from 2007 until last year and i used shinko for white walls and liked them very much. I am still riding shinko on my new ride.
Thanks for your input Mike. May I ask approximately how long did the Shinko's last you on the Vulcan before they needed to be changed out ? And how was the ride with them on.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
114 Posts
I ride with a passenger most of the time and I'm a little north of 200 pounds and for my personal safety I'll hold back on my wife's weight. So with that said i would get about 7 thousand on the rear tire and about double that on the front. I like them because they stick to the road when you really need them like in a downpour. I don't have a lot of experience with different makes of tires to compare how they feel but the different brands i did use in the past i never felt any difference between brands. So they seam the same as the bridgestone to me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts