Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
BOTY Winner 2015!, BOTM Winner, July 2015
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 08 custom a couple months back. I've been constantly been battling a helluva lot of brake dust accumulating on the rear wheel... don't know if it's the pads that are on there now, or if this is a common issue. Anyone else have this issue? If so what remedies are out there... getting tired of cleaning the wheel every couple days. For the records I'm contemplating the Sumo-X caliper relocating bracket, wondering if more direct contact with flowing air under the bike will carry the dust off trailing behind... also that high mounted caliper looks out of place IMO.

Pics of the bike:

·
Registered
536 Posts
My 07 Classic has original brake pads and does not have that problem....very little if any dust on my chrome rims. Are you running OEM brake pads or had the previous owner changed them?

·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is an excellent question. The bike had about 9,800 miles when I bought it, so I assume they might have changed them out. Front brake pads have a bronze backing plate on each, while the rear's have black. Not an expert on brake pads but the front's don't have this issue.

A buddy of mine has a 07 900 classic with white walls and he has brake dust issues, though not to the extend that I do. His walls get fairly dirty pretty quick. I'm wondering if sintered pads will do the trick.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have the same issue with my '08 Classic. My theory is that the OEM pads on the back are softer to reduce the risk of locking and causing a high side accident. I'm no expert, but to back up that suggestion, I replaced the rear pads at about 20,000 miles. I now have 32,000 on her but have yet to replace the front pads - and yes, I use both all the time.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Dust is a bear on my '12 classic rear. Original pads. I figured its because I've been spending so much time in empty parking lots practicing low-speed stuff...quite a bit of rear braking. It's OK to hate brake dust. Myself..its BUBBLEGUM I hate! Just picked up a big glob that some slack-jawed mouth- breathing moron spewed into the middle of the street. Having been flung by my front tire, it's now all over my radiator and rectifier covers...haven't mustered the nads to look at the underside yet.

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts
I have the same issue with my '08 Classic. My theory is that the OEM pads on the back are softer to reduce the risk of locking and causing a high side accident. I'm no expert, but to back up that suggestion, I replaced the rear pads at about 20,000 miles. I now have 32,000 on her but have yet to replace the front pads - and yes, I use both all the time.
So have you seen improvement after replacement? What brand did you replace with? my '08 is terribly dusty as well.

·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went ahead and replaced both the front and rear pads tonight with the EBC sintered, took a couple of gentle turns around the block to bed them in. Looks like the stock pad were on the bike from what I could tell. Over the next week or so I'll post an update on how they perform and hopefully lessen the dust issue.

Also I really want to give that rear caliper relocation bracket from Sumo-X a try. The back wheel and brake disc looked pretty cool without the ugly caliper up there while it was off tonight...

·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've had those EBC sintered pads on both the front and rear for a week or so now, and noticed the dust level go down quite a bit. I re-bled fresh DOT 4 through the lines, bedded them in and they grab really nice.

I also installed the re-location bracket, and hope that will help further. Looks pretty good, the slashdown exhaust hide the caliper almost completely from when looking from the side.

Installing the bracket was cake.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts