Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it took less than three days since I bought my Vulcan 1600. This is the largest bike I've owned. I am quite impressed with it and in general, and am ecstatic about being on two wheels again after several years without a bike.

Monday morning I ran into a coworker who also rides and told him that I finally got a new bike. When I told him the make and model his reply was, "Man!, why don't you just get a Harley?" >:l

I was never against Harley until I ran into crap like "So, when are you going to get a real bike?" again and again.

I've ridden in snow, freezing rain, single digit temperatures, and for hours in severe thunderstorms, but some people who trailer their bike to events have the nerve to get attitude with me about the make of bike I ride.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Talk is cheap, let it go like water on a duck's back.
Or you could always say, you know there is more than just (Ford, Chevy or Dodge, pick one) on the highway......

·
Registered
181 Posts
A few comeback lines come to mind:
1. I couldn't afford the bike plus a pickup truck/trailer to haul it around.
2. I decided I wanted to keep that extra 10 grand for myself
3. I don't own any black t-shirts
4. I like to be able to smile when I am riding

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
Well it took less than three days since I bought my Vulcan 1600. This is the largest bike I've owned. I am quite impressed with it and in general, and am ecstatic about being on two wheels again after several years without a bike.

Monday morning I ran into a coworker who also rides and told him that I finally got a new bike. When I told him the make and model his reply was, "Man!, why don't you just get a Harley?" >:l

I was never against Harley until I ran into crap like "So, when are you going to get a real bike?" again and again.

I've ridden in snow, freezing rain, single digit temperatures, and for hours in severe thunderstorms, but some people who trailer their bike to events have the nerve to get attitude with me about the make of bike I ride.

The hardest Harley owner I've ever had to deal with...was my own brother.

I have absolutely no qualms with what type a'bike a grown adult chooses to ride. I respect their choice because I respect them as a fellow rider on two wheels.

I also know personally another Harley owner...he and his wife are just glad to ride and love it when I ride along with them.

To them, as well as myself...It's about the experience that riding brings. Not the brand of machine we're gettin' the experience from.

Don't repeat this quip to a hard core cruel Harley owner...but keep it in the back of your mind in order to keep your bike induced smile on your face...:

"98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home." :laugh2:

·
Registered
918 Posts
I caught a YouTube video the other day of a guy explaining "misconceptions of Harley Davidson". What a load of bull! This guy was trying tell everyone that "HD is 100% made in the USA!" Bull! Back when they were carb'd, guess who made those carbs? Keihin did. Guess where else you found that name? Most Jap bikes ever produced! Another point this guy tried to make was to justify the cost. He was like, "HD uses better materials than anybody else. The paint jobs alone are better than any other bike out there." Another point this guy tried to make was about how HD uses "top-of-the-line technology" in their bikes and proceeds to list off all the creature comforts built into the batwing on his HD. That's not state-of-art tech, those are creature comforts found on other large cruisers, too, at a much lower cost.

What pissed me off the most about this video was the lack of references to back up all the claims. It's hard to believe people can be so brainwashed as to believe what they bought is the best there is. Look at their "new" Milwaukee 8 engine. It still uses a single pin crank and a chain drive. Oh, and it has 8 valves instead of 4. Other than that, I think the only other improvement HD made were better water jackets around the jugs. I mean, come on. How long have other companies been producing 8 valve bikes? My VN900 has 8 valves and it's been around since 2006/7. The VN750 started production in the late '70's and it had 8 valves. 45+ years later and all of a sudden HD produces a revolutionary 8 valve engine. Unless HD changes who they are, I'll never own one of their bikes.

Kawaski has been the brand I have owned the most. I think their price point is spot on and I love the sound of the Vulcan engine. I did own a 2007 Honda VTX 1300C once. That was an awesome bike.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Brush it off, man. Some folks go through life worrying about what others think and making sure they fit in with the crowd. That's a sad way to live. If you like your bike, who gives a rat's ass what some lemming thinks. They have a say in what you should buy the day they pay for it.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,854 Posts
Brush it off, man. Some folks go through life worrying about what others think and making sure they fit in with the crowd. That's a sad way to live. If you like your bike, who gives a rat's ass what some lemming thinks. They have a say in what you should buy the day they pay for it.
+1
I have a brother-in-law who owns a Harley and will not ride with me cause mine isn't. Believe me I don't loose any sleep at night. My son-in-laws dad has a Road King and when we ride he has to say "you have a nice bike". There's a guy that lives three houses down who believes the only true motorcycle is a Harley. That must be true cause I see him working on it all the time.:grin2:

·
Registered
473 Posts
Haha, this is great!

Last August, before I bought the Vaquero, my Road Glide-riding buddy said I wouldn't be happy unless I bought a Harley. He of course knew me, and knew that what I really *wanted* was the Street Glide Special. The wife vetoed that purchase and suggested I find something else that fits the bill, and now I've got a Vaquero with 5k miles on it, and lots of smiles... and about $10,000 in the bank (or at least not on my loan, haha).

In recent chats, he's said that he wouldn't buy another Harley, because they're always needing some work done, and when you try to do it yourself, it's an all-day job and the parts still cost an arm and a leg.

Me, I just hop on my Vaq, no matter the temperature, and I know I'll get where I'm headed :D

On a related note, I had a buddy who rode a Suzuki SV650S (IIRC), and his neighbor said he wouldn't ride with him unless he got a Harley. Peer pressure, and wanting a more relaxed (read: slower) ride, both drove him to get a Street Glide. Granted, he's had it almost 10 years now, but his neighbor never did ride with him.

Meanwhile, my HD buddy, and Suzuki buddies, and Ducati-owning friends all will ride with me, and me them. I couldn't care less what ya ride, so long as it's got two wheels.

PS: My wife, who vetoed my purchase, found a 2013 HD Sporster 1200 for a STEAL 2 months later and upgraded to it (from a 2000 Honda Shadow 600). Then vocalized that she was kicking herself for not letting me get the SGS, since now SHE has a Harley and I don't. I figure somewhere down the road I'll own a HD, but until then, my Kawis treat me well, so I'll stick with 'em.

-John

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
As a Harley rider once wrote, I'll wrench on my bike while you ride yours....

I am not brand restricted, I have no problem riding with others on 2 or 3 wheels..

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a sportster, but my search for a bike that I could actually ride let me to the vulcan. My Iron 883 has custom paint, pipe, fuel controller, tank lift, 12" apes, a light kit, upgraded suspension and various other mods. It looks awesome parked in the corner of my garage now. The suspension still jolts my spine every time I run over a pebble, the bike vibrates too much even at idle I can see the front wheel almost bouncing, and the V&H exhaust is too loud even with 2 "quiet" baffles in each pipe. If I were running an errand into town I would have no problem taking the sportster but for anything over 30 miles or requiring highway travel I'll take the Vulcan.

But then again Harley guys don't consider Sportsters to be Harleys either.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My wife, who vetoed my purchase, found a 2013 HD Sporster 1200 for a STEAL 2 months later and upgraded to it (from a 2000 Honda Shadow 600).
-John
In the two months I searched Craigslist for a bike before finding this one I saw many Sportsters for a steal, but one of the things I was looking for was a big bike that I could be comfortable on. I wasn't brand specific and looked at everything from the steal of a Sportster, to the 1985 Harley someone wanted to sell without a title and that just needed some carb work to crank again for $10,000 (not kidding on this one)

·
Registered
473 Posts
In the two months I searched Craigslist for a bike before finding this one I saw many Sportsters for a steal, but one of the things I was looking for was a big bike that I could be comfortable on. I wasn't brand specific and looked at everything from the steal of a Sportster, to the 1985 Harley someone wanted to sell without a title and that just needed some carb work to crank again for $10,000 (not kidding on this one)
My wife found her bike literally by accident. We had ridden to a Harley dealer for their fall open house, me on the Vaquero, her on my VN800B. She saw this red Sportster sitting on their used lot, with the 1200, V&H straight shots, screamin' eagle intake, color-matched HD hard bags, shorty windshield, lowered (progressive?) rear shock. It also had been bedazzled (lol), had LED lights under the tank (which the original owner showed us on the day we picked it up), and a dyno-tuned power commander. Roughly 1,450 miles on it, and it had been dropped on the right side (looked to me like a static fall).

It was the first bike that truly fit her - from controls to height. Asking price was less than $7,500 ... and it's a 2013 model year bike!

It pulls like a freight train, shakes like a freightliner, and has the suspension of a go cart. She says it hurts her backside after 45 mins to an hour, and after I installed baffles, she really likes it. I may get her a different seat or see if she wants a stock shock put back on it.

I searched for months after she bought it, since I really like it and wanted one for my own. The 2013s I saw were selling for $10k plus, and as far back as 2007 (first year of fuel injection on the Sportster) were selling for $7k.

In the end, I decided to keep my VN800B and bob it out. That, and my VN800B has *never* let me down, ever.

-John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts