Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had put the Thunder Air Kit, Cobra PowerPro, and Cobra Tri-Ovals on my 2013 Voyager. The bike got louder and burned more gas. So rich was the air fuel mixture that my exhaust would backfire on deceleration and pipes showed signs of black soot from the rich mixture. The Voyager didn’t give me a feeling that there was a performance increase. I'm going back to stock. I took off the PowerPro and Tri-ovals last Friday and then took a 200 mile trip. I gained 30+miles on my tank of gas. I watched the engine heat, no noticeable increase. Next I am removing the Thunder Air Kit and just simply going to use a K&N Air Filter. I guess I will advertise these parts to sell them, only used for about 700 miles.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
My goodness rrjburt, doesn't sound like you ever gave that setup a fair chance.
Even though (& it's known) I don't like the Cobra Power Pro, it can still do better than stock with adjustments. It's a shame you never got to feel the power that the "BIG THREE" can bring you.
Good luck with selling your parts.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had a similar experience with the Powerpro on my Yamaha 1300. I suspected that the bike was running rich and it was confirmed with a Dyno run. I removed the Powerpro and all was good again. Since then I don't trust any other type of fuel management unless you can fine tune it.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
A PROPERLY TUNED 1700 with the Big 3 will undoubtedly offer MUCH better performance and will achieve mpg equal to stock and more often than not, better.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
851 Posts
Yesterday I just did the throttle body gasket besides adding Tornado air intake from Thunger mfg. I also have a PCV and my Vaquero is running better than it ever has. I recommend doing the gasket for anyone with a 1700. I've never been one for the power pro, fi2000 or anything that just curves the air/fuel mixture. I like pcv and being in complete control on how I want my bike to run. I'm gonna have mine custom mapped for I can see and know that my bike is running at it's best.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I have the same 3 things you do on my vaquero. Yes it runs rich and lost gas mileage, not that it was great before I did any modifications. But the power and overall feel of the bike was a lot better after the install. As for the popping on decel it was and will still be there after you switch back to stock. The stock exhaust does a good job of silencing it. I hope you used the gasket for the throttle body as it will help tremendously with the popping. Also if you have a new version of the power pro there is a pod you can set to help with the decel popping. You have to give the system time to season. The more carbon build up the better the exhaust will sound. I hope this helps, if not good luck with the sale of the parts.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess I don't need any more power than what my bike has stock. Since switching back to stock, the bike is more pleasant on my ears especially on long rides, My MPG is up I can now get 200 miles out of a tank compared to about 160 miles, I cannot hear popping at all now (I had the gasket with my air kit, didn't seem to help). If I want a powerful bike again, I will just go back to a sport touring bike or maybe I can talk the wife into letting me have 2 bikes. ;-)

·
Registered
440 Posts
i'll tell ya i have the same setup on my vaquero and went back to stock and after a week of riding i started to miss the sound and throttle response. so i put the big three back on.. a little trick helps bigtime with the popping . put 87 octane in the tank and you'll see a big improvement ..hardly pop's at all and better throttle response . 87 octane has less delayed burn (burns faster), try it for a month and you'll love it.. im getting 38-40 mpg (display says 42) no highway wich is the same as stock . :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yesterday I just did the throttle body gasket besides adding Tornado air intake from Thunger mfg. I also have a PCV and my Vaquero is running better than it ever has. I recommend doing the gasket for anyone with a 1700. I've never been one for the power pro, fi2000 or anything that just curves the air/fuel mixture. I like pcv and being in complete control on how I want my bike to run. I'm gonna have mine custom mapped for I can see and know that my bike is running at it's best.
Just ordered the gasket yesterday. Is there much involved in proper installation?

·
Registered
204 Posts
i'll tell ya i have the same setup on my vaquero and went back to stock and after a week of riding i started to miss the sound and throttle response. so i put the big three back on.. a little trick helps bigtime with the popping . put 87 octane in the tank and you'll see a big improvement ..hardly pop's at all and better throttle response . 87 octane has less delayed burn (burns faster), try it for a month and you'll love it.. im getting 38-40 mpg (display says 42) no highway wich is the same as stock . :)
I had exactly the same result on my 900 and am just switching to 87 octane on my Vaq. Hopefully that and the throttle body gasket will bring things down a bit in the popping dept

·
Registered
851 Posts
Just ordered the gasket yesterday. Is there much involved in proper installation?
Not at all, very easy to do! Once you strip the right side down to the throttle body you'll see three Allen bolts, two on top and one on the bottom/middle. All three bolts are different length so keep track of that. Once you remove the three bolts it will pull apart and then slide the gasket in. You'll see a small hole in the middle of the gasket, that lines up with a small piece sticking out of the the back wall of the throttle body. It comes with directions that are easy to follow, it's so easy that you really don't need them.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Not at all, very easy to do! Once you strip the right side down to the throttle body you'll see three Allen bolts, two on top and one on the bottom/middle. All three bolts are different length so keep track of that. Once you remove the three bolts it will pull apart and then slide the gasket in. You'll see a small hole in the middle of the gasket, that lines up with a small piece sticking out of the the back wall of the throttle body. It comes with directions that are easy to follow, it's so easy that you really don't need them.
Is that all it is? Do you need to use any silicone or anything?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thanks. Appreciate the feedback.

·
Registered
851 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
I didnt see any benefit in using the gasket and plugging the hole . but it didnt hurt.

·
Registered
19 Posts
How are some of the Vaqs getting 50 mpg ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had put the Thunder Air Kit, Cobra PowerPro, and Cobra Tri-Ovals on my 2013 Voyager. The bike got louder and burned more gas. So rich was the air fuel mixture that my exhaust would backfire on deceleration and pipes showed signs of black soot from the rich mixture. The Voyager didn’t give me a feeling that there was a performance increase. I'm going back to stock. I took off the PowerPro and Tri-ovals last Friday and then took a 200 mile trip. I gained 30+miles on my tank of gas. I watched the engine heat, no noticeable increase. Next I am removing the Thunder Air Kit and just simply going to use a K&N Air Filter. I guess I will advertise these parts to sell them, only used for about 700 miles.

I am interested in the exhaust and air kit.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Taking off the throttle assembly is quite easy. Remove the right side air box and the throttle assembly and slip it in. But, be very careful when torquing the 3 bolts that hold the throttle assembly to the intake once you slip in the gasket. My small torque wrench must have jammed and I cracked the flange on the upper left side of the throttle assembly that the bolt goes through. I had to order a new throttle assembly. A very expensive mistake!

I had lots of room to work on the gasket as I removed the gas tank to check the wires behind the ignition (which were in perfect condition) and properly rerouted the wires for the PCV along the wire harness. Then I will carefully reinstall the throttle assembly when it comes in and leave the coolant flush and pipe wrap to another day.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts