Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't want too, but I have too. And as soon as I do, I suppose my noise will come roaring back. I was plagued with belt noise. A chica,chica, scuffing indefinable sound. It came and went....and always went whenever I wanted someone else to hear it. I had some "chirp" which I ignored. I adjusted, slackened, tightened....all to no avail. Belt drives are, as I have discovered, inherently noisy. This is my first belt drive bike. I had absolutely no problem whatsoever adjusting and lubing a messy chain. Then it struck me. Lubing. LUBING. A long time ago (ya know, months) I read that parafin wax (the solid bars that come in a box) were great for "lubing belts". Everytime I opened the cupboard, there, lurking on the top shelf was a box that the wife uses for some type of Christmas concoction. Well, I grabbed a stick, out to the bike, and ran it along the edge of the belt (rotating the back wheel and coated the entire belt and scuffed the rear pulley wit it) What could it hurt? I've been chuckling ever since. Noise gone, chirp gone, it's like the drivetrain said thank-you. My nine has NEVER ran quieter. EVER. It only makes sense, less friction, less noise.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I just did that on mine two weeks ago when I installed my pulley. I forgotten my wife had bought a belt lubricator at a local auto parts and had been laying arround for a long time and never thought about it. Darn thing really works.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I've also heard that running a bar of soap along edges of the belt will help with some of the noise.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Harley sells 'Belt Dressing' but you might as well use the paraffin. Not saying that the HD stuff doesn't work and last I heard, wasn't really expensive. Just that they lube belts too. I've got a little chica chica going on after last weeks pulley re-install. But I haven't washed the bike lately either and it could just be dusty. That will make it do it too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts