Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First bike / new rider. Got 600 miles clocked... Typically on a ride I put on around 20-30 miles; yet I always do one or more of the following goof ups.

Stall at a stop sign... especially on a incline.
Forget to have it down into first when I come to a stop.
Throw a foot down when making a slow U-turn.
Not gear down enough when going up a hill. (lug it) and panic.
Not ride fast enough, and get tailgaters.
Go overly cautious on a new road I'd never been on.
Shift from first to 'N' instead of second... pisses me off; especially if someone's behind me.
Not work my clutch and throttle smoothly on shifts.

Jeez, it's only been a couple months but I tend to beat myself up over this stuff. Just needed to vent...
Thanks.

·
Registered
110 Posts
You will get better. All of these things come with practice.

>>more throttle, slower clutch engagement.

>>get in the habit of downshifting to first at every stop. MSF recommends being in 1st at a stop in case you need to move for safety anyway.

>> safer than falling! But practice counter weight turns.

>>this bike is very comfortable above 5k rpm ... don't be shy. Lugging just means time to downshift.

>> move over if you can. Tailgaters are dangerous, but not as dangerous as riding faster than you're comfortable. Use roads with lower traffic speeds while you build your comfort level.

>>GOOD!

Shift from first to 'N' instead of second... pisses me off; especially if someone's behind me.
>>make sure the clutch is all the way in before the shift. This will come easily with practice.

>>1st and 2nd are twitchy with this bike. Take it up to 5k or more before any shift. I promise it gets easier with practice.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hello El Gringo, welcome to this place! It's fun and helpful. I started riding at age 48, and even though it's about 16 years, I still get out to practice my skills periodically, it really helps.

It sounds like some slo-motion practice could help you. Just ride around the block. A lot of times, LOL. Left, left, left. Right, right, right.

I know that sounds like you're doing nothing, but you really get to practice all the following:
  • slowing for a turn, then accelerating through the turn.
  • stopping before a turn, and then proceeding from the stop.
  • downshifting to 1st at all stops.
  • starting from stops, Shifting from 1st to 2nd smoothly so you don't get stuck in neutral.
  • just spend time G-O-I-N-G S-L-O-W in 1st and 2nd gears, and get a good feel for your friction zone.
  • If you can find a small hill to practice going up, from a stop at the top you'll also need to use that friction zone for when you start to move again
  • If you're not riding fast enough to do the speed limit, then don't go on those roads yet, get your practices in lower speed roads, or off hours, when there's little traffic.
And, If you haven't taken the rider course yet, it's a great way to get a handle on the basics, very highly recommended!

Anyone can learn to go pretty fast, but the slo-mo skills will help you be a skilled rider. Good luck! Ride Safe!!

Gerry

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey El Gringo, I feel your pain. I'm a new rider and have made many mistakes. I agree with all the advice given, especially about the MSF course. I'd also recommend you check with nearby police departments and highway patrol to see if they offer any free motorcycle safety courses. I took one about a month after the MSF course from our local PD and it was more difficult than the MSF course (all rider skills, no classroom work) but very well worth it. I dropped my bike for the first time in that class doing a "slow speed box turn" (U-turn in a box) but I watched about 7-8 bike drops that day. Even some experienced riders had trouble with the slow speed maneuvers but it will make you a better rider. Best part was the training was free!

·
Registered
66 Posts
MotoJitsu

First bike / new rider. Got 600 miles clocked... Typically on a ride I put on around 20-30 miles; yet I always do one or more of the following goof ups.

Jeez, it's only been a couple months but I tend to beat myself up over this stuff. Just needed to vent...
Thanks.

Check out this youtube channel. Very good for new riders, returning riders, any riders really...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=11&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiRkvPAyfDiAhWwwFkKHdaPC-gQFjAKegQIBRAB&url=https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0FFFneMi9GwRHUsuBjM0jA&usg=AOvVaw2Ial1udofRJfalt06gh0bU

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well you're not doing so bad. When I took my bike out after more than a decade of no riding, pulled up to my buddies house, stopped to put it on kickstand, but never put the kickstand down! Ha ha. It'll come to you.
Make sure you downshift all the way to your stops, as you decelerate (not just using your brakes) you should be shifting into lower and lower gears, and right before you stop you should already be in 1st...
Good luck

·
Registered
699 Posts
Sorry have to disagree with the above statement.
You can downshift one or two gear, but not every one.
If you have traffic behind you its good to hit the brakes so they know your stopping soon.

Its like canceling a turn signal, you come to a stop or while stopping down shift to first.
Think of it this way - How can you take off it you dont down shift??

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hitting neutral instead of second is easy because of the positive neutral finder. I still do that if I'm going slow and baby the shifter too much.

Suggestion on inclined stops; keep your foot on the foot brake to hold the bike in place, then give it gas and ease off the brake and clutch at the same time.

HTH...

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Sorry have to disagree with the above statement.
You can downshift one or two gear, but not every one.
If you have traffic behind you its good to hit the brakes so they know your stopping soon.

Its like canceling a turn signal, you come to a stop or while stopping down shift to first.
Think of it this way - How can you take off it you dont down shift??
I think he is saying to downshift as you slow down, not go thru all the gears at once. That way, if you do it right, you will be in the proper gear to accelerate immediately if you no longer need to stop, or if a situation develops that requires that you immediately take an escape route in the middle of stopping. However, even in a panic stop, you should eventually learn to downshift very fast down to first. It takes practice, but it's doable most of the time.

El Gringo, my advice is to try to not ride unfamiliar roads until you are more comfortable on the bike. Find a few non-challenging routes to ride and get comfortable with the bike before you put yourself in unfamiliar situations.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
I shift at 5000 -5500 at all gears. Your bike sounds like it should at 3500 -4000 from 1st. Nah. It lives to rev. 5000 is a good rpm
at all shifts. Especially when stuck in bumper to bumper traffic. Speaking of. I hate arseholes that filter in Miami. It's illegal and dangerous. Dont expect drivers to give lane room. This ain't California. Riding the shoulder ain't cool. Maybe only sympathy I would give two craps for if its pouring rain. I place filtering in the same level as idiots that dont wear gloves, some sort of helmet and for cripes sake....flip flops as proper riding apparel???? Morons. These are my opinions lol.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I shift down thru the gears from 6th to 3rd. 2nd locks up the rear tire almost every time and I'm not a fan of sacrificing traction, not to mention at that speed the cars behind you need a brake light.

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
I shift down thru the gears from 6th to 3rd. 2nd locks up the rear tire almost every time and I'm not a fan of sacrificing traction, not to mention at that speed the cars behind you need a brake light.

I don't engine brake, I use the actual brakes, but I still downshift as I am braking so that I am in the correct gear for accelerating out of a situation should one arise. If you are locking up your rear tire in 2nd, then you may be downshifting too fast for the speed you are decelerating. Kudos for being able to downshift that fast, though. It's a good skill to have if you do it correctly.

·
Registered
212 Posts
If I am being closely followed when engine braking, I try to put enough pressure on the rear brake pedal to activate the brake light, or even tap it a few times if it looks like following traffic isn't paying attention.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts