Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Ive had my bike for 2 weeks now and I love it HOWEVER, I took it in on trade as a spur of the moment thing. My question is Is it the classic LT??? I traded my 82 sportster for it. It has 5000 miles on it. Pretty sure it was stolen sometime prior to me owning it. The key switch has been braised back on and the title stated previously owned by Police dept. No big deal to me as this was all in the past and has been taken care of but I am new to the cruiser world and honestly until I traded for it never really paid enough attention as to whats what. It will need a paint job , but we have a booth in our shop at work and I can take care of that. No real issues and so far Im very pleased with it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Tough to say. The studs on the saddle and backrest and the fact that there is a backrest suggest LT, but I'm thinking LT's usually have a 2 tone paint job. You could easily put an LT seat and backrest on a Classic, which depending on year tended to be 1 color only.

·
Registered
357 Posts
looks like someone added a studded seat/backrest from Kawi to a Classic

as a previous poster said, for an LT it's missing the bags, shield, and light bar

but ya VIN would tell the correct story.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Check the info placard on the downtube. If the model number is listed as a VN900D with a numeral and letter following the "D" to indicate model year, it's a Classic LT. If it show's VN900Bxx, it's a Classic.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
LT's always have a two-tone paint job. That's part of the package. It may have LT parts, but if it doesn't have a two-tone paint job, it's not an LT. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but, I've never seen an LT without a two-tone paint job.

However that color does look a little 'off', not like a blue I've seen Kawi use. Maybe it's been repainted?

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Check the info placard on the downtube. If the model number is listed as a VN900D with a numeral and letter following the "D" to indicate model year, it's a Classic LT. If it show's VN900Bxx, it's a Classic.
If the placard is still there, enough said.

However, like Romans said, the paint looks off from a stock Kawi offering. Additionally the Vulcan tank emblem is missing. This screams to me as a custom paint job. All other things make it look like a stipped down LT to me. Not sure on the chrome side covers tho. Can't remember if they were stock on the basic classic or purely aftermarket.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
If the placard is still there, enough said.

However, like Romans said, the paint looks off from a stock Kawi offering. Additionally the Vulcan tank emblem is missing. This screams to me as a custom paint job. All other things make it look like a stipped down LT to me. Not sure on the chrome side covers tho. Can't remember if they were stock on the basic classic or purely aftermarket.
I'm almost positive the chrome side covers come stock on ALL 900's. (Though someone at Kawasaki screwed up and painted some of them black for some reason).

I wonder if maybe this bike was wrecked? New paint job, remove and don't replace the stock saddlebags, etc. There's a lot of reasons why a wrecked bike would end up in a police lot. DWI, if he wrecked and did damage and had no insurance, etc., etc. Then somebody buys it at a police auction, fixes it up, sells it! Happens a lot out here anyway. I've been tempted to do the same. You can get some pretty decent bikes/cars off of the police lot for cheap. Be a fun project to fix up or whatever. (The majority of them are wrecked, DWI's mostly. Dunno about other states but here if you get drunk and wreck your car and cause injury or damage, your car becomes the states!)

Like others said, though; check the placard. It should be VN900D. Another thing is, you can put then VIN into Kawasaki.com and it'll tell you what it is. It's missing the saddlebags and the LT windshield. Maybe my eyes are deceiving me but is there a 'bump' under the paint? It actually looks like they may have painted OVER the LT pin stripe (which is tape, not paint). I keep looking at that front fender and seeing what looks like two raised stripes. Or is it just me?

I dunno, this has a 'formerly laid down Classic LT' vibe to me.

·
Registered
357 Posts
now that you mention it the paint on the tank does look a little "worn" for the worse. plus no tank badges (debadge/lost is possible). I can't tell if that's a stripe or just how the light is hitting the bow/bend of the front fender...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not sure where the PLACARD is but after inspecting the fender Ive found some pinstriping that must have been peeled off and is now stuck on the underside of the fender. As far as saddlebags, well they have been removed at sometime but came with the mounts. Also came with windshield mounts. As stated in my 1st ad, Im guessing it was some type of police seizure vehicle but that's all in the past and I believe I have a good bike for not too much $. I have $2700 in it and can paint it myself with only the cost of materials. Having only 5000 miles on it and Ive put 400 on it so far I have zero complaints and haven't found anything wrong with it. Going to J&p tomorrow to possibly splurge and get me some kongs and cable kit.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
The vehicle information placard should be on the left downtube, behind the forks. I think it's the left.

Like Romans said, the LTs do all have two-tone paint. I've never seen one without.

The chrome side covers are aftermarket. They're usually body-matched paint and the right one has a Kawasaki badge on it unless it's been peeled off.

The paint definitely is neither the right color nor texture for the available blue pigments I've seen on 900s. And I can't tell from the picture but the paint job has either got a LOT of metal flake in it, or is really bad with orange peel.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
The vehicle information placard should be on the left downtube, behind the forks. I think it's the left.

Like Romans said, the LTs do all have two-tone paint. I've never seen one without.

The chrome side covers are aftermarket. They're usually body-matched paint and the right one has a Kawasaki badge on it unless it's been peeled off.

The paint definitely is neither the right color nor texture for the available blue pigments I've seen on 900s. And I can't tell from the picture but the paint job has either got a LOT of metal flake in it, or is really bad with orange peel.
Er... doy.

When he said "chrome side covers", for some reason, I thought he meant the chrome rails where the sissy bar and saddlebags mount.

<smacks forehead>.
:loser:

Not sure where the PLACARD is but after inspecting the fender Ive found some pinstriping that must have been peeled off and is now stuck on the underside of the fender. As far as saddlebags, well they have been removed at sometime but came with the mounts. Also came with windshield mounts. As stated in my 1st ad, Im guessing it was some type of police seizure vehicle but that's all in the past and I believe I have a good bike for not too much $. I have $2700 in it and can paint it myself with only the cost of materials. Having only 5000 miles on it and Ive put 400 on it so far I have zero complaints and haven't found anything wrong with it. Going to J&p tomorrow to possibly splurge and get me some kongs and cable kit.

Sounds like a great deal!

I'm almost positive it's been wrecked. The paint job isn't that bad it's just not OEM quality. Up to you on what you wanna do with that, it just didn't seem factory which made me think it's been repainted. The pinstriping, windshield mounts, etc., it's an LT. I betcha the stock bags and windshield were damaged and just not replaced.

·
Registered
109 Posts
All LTs do have two tone paint.. unless they were ordered without. (I know 2 guys who went monochrome..one with Galaxy Silver, one with Titanium, from the factory. They paid far more to get it than they would have for a repaint.)
That, however, isn't a stock paint job, because that color of blue isn't one that Kawi's ever offered, that I can find at least, and I hunted back to 2003. If there's pinstriping on the underside of the fender, shine a flashlight up there (front's easier) ... I'm betting you'll find remnants of the original paint job. My LT was Ebony and Galaxy silver, and the paint overspray was clearly visible on the underside of the fenders, along with the stock red pinstripe. (the pinstripe will be a hint as to what the original color was too). OR.. like was mentioned, just google or otherwise check the VIN, you might be surprised what you find.

·
Registered
453 Posts
The side covers on my 2011 LT were black. I bought the chrome ones!! (cuz I LIKE shiny!) The repaint theory is interesting, and the blue looks a little off!! That's my bet!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It has NOT been wrecked. Ive got the info on it now. It was however seized by the PD when they arrested a the guy on it and he did quite a bit of jail time. It then sat in PD storage for several months and the bank did not want to pay storage. It sat a while longer and went to police auction which is where the guy I got it from purchased it. It has been repainted and was a fair job but it will get redone by me. As stated before, the saddlebags and windshield were removed. Saddlebags were also seized. DRUGS??? As far as the chrome side covers, I got them NEW in box from the guy I traded bikes with. Still not exactly sure why it was repainted nor why the key switch has been replaced and brazed back in location, but I know what I got in it and I would trust it anywhere. Even if it was wrecked, which the title check shows it hasn't been, Im happy with what I got.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
It has NOT been wrecked. Ive got the info on it now. It was however seized by the PD when they arrested a the guy on it and he did quite a bit of jail time. It then sat in PD storage for several months and the bank did not want to pay storage. It sat a while longer and went to police auction which is where the guy I got it from purchased it. It has been repainted and was a fair job but it will get redone by me. As stated before, the saddlebags and windshield were removed. Saddlebags were also seized. DRUGS??? As far as the chrome side covers, I got them NEW in box from the guy I traded bikes with. Still not exactly sure why it was repainted nor why the key switch has been replaced and brazed back in location, but I know what I got in it and I would trust it anywhere. Even if it was wrecked, which the title check shows it hasn't been, Im happy with what I got.
Well I imagine if someone is about to go down for some serious jail time and is getting his assets siezed for whatever reason he's probably not going to go out of his way to help the cops. (There has to be a good reason for them to take it anyway, they don't just take your stuff when you go to jail! But big felonies often rack up lots of court costs so you may be riding around on his court cost payments!)

So if they never got the keys, and couldn't find parts, well then that's what you get! A new lock cylinder and whatever is missing is still missing.

Ever watch those Repo shows? I don't usually because they seem as scripted as all get-out, but I did watch one episode of one and a guy had a car in his garage sideways stripped down, taken apart, wheels off, up on blocks covered in boxes LOL. So who knows what effort this guy went through to prevent someone from taking that bike.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,855 Posts
LT's always have a two-tone paint job. That's part of the package. It may have LT parts, but if it doesn't have a two-tone paint job, it's not an LT. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but, I've never seen an LT without a two-tone paint job.

However that color does look a little 'off', not like a blue I've seen Kawi use. Maybe it's been repainted?
I have a 2006 Vulcan Classic LT all in one color Phantom Silver.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So if they never got the keys, and couldn't find parts, well then that's what you get! A new lock cylinder and whatever is missing is still missing.

Its not missing ANYTHING.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts