Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got some V&H Slash cut staggereds for my 07 900 classic almost two months ago. When I put them on, damn did they sound great. I loved it. Now I know this isn't in my head, but about 3 weeks ago they started to sound different. Not as good as at first. The best way to explain it is, the sound goes "flat" a lot. When I'm not getting on it and just cruising around. I don't know if there's something wrong with the baffles or what. Any help is appreciated.thanks

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Your ears have adjusted to them, I'm betting! Much like many people feel about their spouse after a few months . . . it may have been "mind blowing" at first, but after a while, it's just another night! LOL!

·
Registered
673 Posts
Are they the type with packing in them?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know what you mean HRH Z but it isn't that. Sorry Rider50 but I don't know what you mean. They are the V&H Slash Cut Staggereds.They look like a standard baffle to me. All I know is they sound different than they did when I first got them.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Do you wear ear plugs?
HRH may be exactly right. Only less to do with boredom and more to do with actually changing your ears.
Those pipes make enough noise to cause hearing damage and you will lose certain tones and frequencies first.
If your ears are no longer capable of hearing the full range, things will sound flat.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No I don't wear ear plugs. Its not when I'm getting on it, it's only when the RPM's are real low putting along in 2nd,3rd,4th gears.thanks for your help guys.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I know what you mean HRH Z but it isn't that. Sorry Rider50 but I don't know what you mean. They are the V&H Slash Cut Staggereds.They look like a standard baffle to me. All I know is they sound different than they did when I first got them.
Some baffles/pipes come with a fiberglass packing, which can blow/burn out over time changing the tone. My Cobra's came with some packing from the factory, that is why I asked.

·
Registered
100 Posts
It might be a tuning issue. Something else in the bike might need to be 'tuned' to accept the new exhaust. Worth a chat to a bike mechanic?

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Do you wear ear plugs?
HRH may be exactly right. Only less to do with boredom and more to do with actually changing your ears.
Those pipes make enough noise to cause hearing damage and you will lose certain tones and frequencies first.
If your ears are no longer capable of hearing the full range, things will sound flat.
+1. Seriously. Talk to an ear-nose-throat surgeon. A few bursts of loud pipes without ear protection is enough to temporarily affect your ability to hear highs and lows. And a few more after that is a good way to make it permanent.

I love loud pipes as much as the next guy (Admittedly, my current bike has stock pipes; but my last one didn't). But if I'm riding with or on a loud pipes; I do wear ear protection.

And yes seriously; in a FEW rides, your ears can suffer enough damage (wind will do it too; not just pipes. Riding a bike without a windshield also garners ear protection for me) to affect your ability to hear the highest and lowest tones of the pipes; which will do exactly as you describe; flatten it out. Even when it's just rumbling down the road. For an anecdotal story, my brother is in the Navy; and after one year on a ship WITH ear protection; with a workstation near the engine room (Diesel ship), he had significant enough hearing loss (the Navy tests them every year), specifically with his ability to hear highs and lows, that he had to fight not to get a medical discharge. Thankfully, the ship he's on now is much bigger and quieter. If sitting next to a big diesel engine with ear muffs on can significantly damage your hearing; imagine what riding a bike with no earplugs can do.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Sometimes when you add vancs pips the carbs need adjusted not shure if your fuel injection or not.
If you dont you run too lean.
The 900 is fuel injected.

Pipes ALONE with stock filter and OEM filter element shouldn't need adjustment. But in my opinion, a fuel processor is ALWAYS a good idea, coupled with a dyno tune, to get it running peak.

The problem is, that wouldn't explain why the sound 'changed'. Fuel injection is nothing if not incredibly consistent; that's it's main advantage. On the 900, it's a very basic mapped throttle body injection system (think, fuel injection back in the 80's). It doesn't self-adjust at all; except for a small handful of variables. And when it does adjust, it follows a map. It has no idea you have aftermarket pipes on and has no means of detecting that. That's a job for a dyno tuner to effectively re-write those 'maps'. Until/unless that is done, it shouldn't sound different.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It has the V&H pipe,, a K&N air filter and the fuel processor, I did notice something yesterday, when that air valve ( whatever it's called )clicks in and out, the sound changes..

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Sometimes when you add vancs pips the carbs need adjusted not shure if your fuel injection or not.
If you dont you run too lean.
It is FI.

1. How many miles on it?
2. Is it down on power with the sound change?
3. Any starting issues, hot/cold?
4. Any other driveability issues, hot/cold?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's got 6400 miles, no starting issues or anything. I do feel like it's lost a step but I haven't got the fuel processor dialed in yet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts