Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have always ridden my bikes naked (without a windshield). I always thought windshields were for old guys, well now that I am an old guy I am considering getting one for cold days and longer rides.

What I don't get are all of the tiny windshields in the market! Based on everything I can find about the proposer height the windshield should be between your upper lip and nose so that you are looking just over the windshield. For most guys 5'8 or taller that will be at least a 15" tall windshield.

What is the purpose of the small windshield like the NC Fly etc?? Are these simply for a certain look? I would prefer s short windshield on the custom but see no point if it will it be functional or worse cause head buffeting. Just curious as to why someone would buy these if they don't work.

I am 6'1" and considering the NC Street Shield EX anyone have issues with this windshield?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Look at it this way. Manufacturers make what sells. From my experience most guys do not get the windshield they wanted on the first try, and typically order too small because they are concerned about looks or just think its enough to make a difference. That NC fly is a joke as far as a functional windshield and strictly for looks if you think that's going to do anything for the looks of your bike.

On the other side of that coin, I have seen guys with windshields that extend above the helmet line. That's basically a membership to the sail boat of the month club and the I don't ride over 60mph due to my wind resistance issues club all at the same time.

If you get a shield post it up. I am looking for one as well, but I share the same struggle of looks vs function. Currently the only thing that will do in my mind is the Memphis Shades batwing, but my wallet is not very happy about that decision.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I am 6'1" and considering the NC Street Shield EX anyone have issues with this windshield?

Personally for what your saying you want it for, I don't think this will help much. Cold mornings you need something a little broader reaching like the Memphis Fats.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Look at it this way. Manufacturers make what sells. From my experience most guys do not get the windshield they wanted on the first try, and typically order too small because they are concerned about looks or just think its enough to make a difference. That NC fly is a joke as far as a functional windshield and strictly for looks if you think that's going to do anything for the looks of your bike.

On the other side of that coin, I have seen guys with windshields that extend above the helmet line. That's basically a membership to the sail boat of the month club and the I don't ride over 60mph due to my wind resistance issues club all at the same time.

If you get a shield post it up. I am looking for one as well, but I share the same struggle of looks vs function. Currently the only thing that will do in my mind is the Memphis Shades batwing, but my wallet is not very happy about that decision.
Your comments are in line with what I am thinking. If I didn't do a bit of research first I would most likely purchased a short shield assuming it would be better then nothing and found out it was worse than nothing.

I am looking at the NC street shield because it is the right height for me, quick release and inexpensive around $130. Figure if I don't like it no big deal, if I do like it I can keep it or sell it and upgrade the the MS.

If it warms up soon I will most likely forget about it for another year, I like the naked look of my bike.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have always ridden my bikes naked (without a windshield). I always thought windshields were for old guys, well now that I am an old guy I am considering getting one for cold days and longer rides.

What I don't get are all of the tiny windshields in the market! Based on everything I can find about the proposer height the windshield should be between your upper lip and nose so that you are looking just over the windshield. For most guys 5'8 or taller that will be at least a 15" tall windshield.

What is the purpose of the small windshield like the NC Fly etc?? Are these simply for a certain look? I would prefer s short windshield on the custom but see no point if it will it be functional or worse cause head buffeting. Just curious as to why someone would buy these if they don't work.

On my previous bike; it did not have a windshield on it when I bought it. I rode it for about a week and decided that it needed something. It is not an old guy thing for a windshield. I was 22 when I but a windshield on. Being that is was only a 250, I couldn't go very big. I settled on a SlipStream Spitfire. It worked to keep the wind pressure off my chest, but because it was below my helmet, caused some buffeting. My new to me 900 has the factory windshield and I would like to know where to set it at for my 6' frame.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The same day I bought my 9, which was just a basic classic, I ordered the Memphis slim, black gradient. Didn't like the larger LT windshield, no offence to anyone. Imo, the slim fits the bike better, no bags. Here's a link with some reviews. Easy to pop off and clean behind. Does a good job keeping the wind off the chest, but enough gets around to keep you cool. That's important here in Louisiana. Memphis fats may work better for the few month's of winter here.
http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/m...avidson-and-metric-cruisers/part/MEM-SLIMS-15
I didn't notice if you have the custom or classic? Here's a quick pic...

Attachments

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
wb, dont waste yor money and time with the small stuff. get a memphis shades Fatts, not the Slim. get the tallest one they make. just do it. Ride with it and determine how much you need to cut off to FIT YOU exactly..
cutting a shield is cake, childrens work.
you can buy any shield and take a guess what is rite for you, but if you guess wrong.. well, yor stuck with it.
memphis shades shields with standard mounting hardware go on/off in less than 60 seconds. dont waste money on trigger lock crap. if you need details on mounting or cutting, post questions. poncho

btw, Im just 5'8 and ride with 21"fat and can see/peek over it in bad weather. I cut it down 2" last year and now look rite over the top. you being 6'1 need to start with that tall shield and then decide if you want/need to cut it down.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts

I have one for sale that fits a 900 Custom. It's the Kawasaki Short windshield. It helps a lot on the highway. Mainly takes the wind off your chest. I'm selling it because I want the National Cycle Switch Blade shield. This one mounts to the forks and has 4 bolts. Takes about 5 minutes to take it off. I'll sell it cheaper than I have it listed for.

http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163193

·
Registered
357 Posts
I got my MS Batwing from a member here and love it. helps dramatically with buffeting and colder mornings. It had the 5" shield which I replaced with the 9" spoiler version. However going over 60 I get hit at eye level and am going for the 12" regular batwing shield to replace sometime soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
357 Posts
whoops, here's the 9"

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Have to agree with Poncho, get the taller one, can cut it down later to suit your preference. Myself I am one of the few that like looking through the shield not over it. For the most comfort after a windshield install a good set of lowers is a must. The factory lowers for the 900 are terrible, too small, the mounts are okay, just have to increase the size of the clear plastic.

·
Registered
81 Posts
well just fwiw I will stick up for the stock windshield on the 900 LT - I am 6'2" and it works great - added the lowers after getting them for Christmas now no very little wind comes up and in from the tank. I do runs to the beach and mountains so trips run from 150 miles to 500 round trip, 2 lane roads and interstates. Good luck on your choice, one thing I will say I would never be without a windshield again!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I as well have the stock windshield on the 900 Classsic LT. Works great for me...agree I've added the louvers and they are great as well. I'm 5'8". The shield is adjustable a good 2". I have it on the lowest setting and when seated straight it ends just below the eyes. This is great...one thing with a shield is if you're caught in the rain at night it's difficult to see through the shield when car lights are reflecting on all those droplets...that's where looking just above the shield is a sure benifit.

As for the size of the shield keep in mind that your seat plays a role as well. I've upgraded my stock seat to a mustange and gained an inch in my overall height.

The stock shield is also a wide one. I find it adds overlap for the hands.

I had another ride which had a very small shield. Came stock. Besides looking good I found it useless. Though it did break chest wind and hence relieved some arm fatigue it just didn't cut the mustard. Gravel debris, bugs, wind, etc would just play havoc with your face.

On my 900LT I was driving down a road one day when a tractor hauling hay was driving in the opposite direction. As it passed by if flung what looked like a chunk of mud/rock. It landed just an inch below the center top of the shield. That shield made one heck of a smack sound and I saw it buckled up and bend inward dramatically. Suprised it didn't break. Man it hit with some force leaving a good size nick in the shield. I wear an open face helmet. I tell you I can only imagine what that would have felt like!!!

I maybe considered old school but for me I prefer some good practicallity. Looks are a personal thing...I like the way the stock one looks...I tend to see it as a good mix of looks and practicality. For me quick release isin't something I look for...I like a shield. I ride for a good part of the year and I find it had benefits throughout all seasons. You ever get smucked by a wet leaf in the fall! Ouch! That's what i got with my short shield on the other ride.

So...easy to find the fit based on your preferences. Sit on the bike, take some measurements...grab something that is adjustable and find the sweet spot...you will tinker to find what works best for you...

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Wild Bill, did I miss it? I don't see where you mention Classic or Custom. I have a Custom and personally, I think the Fats and the Slim look like hell with that narrow front end. I went with the Memphis Shades Big Shot back in '07 and I love the look. There's a minor problem with air coming up from under the shield, but it only bothered me in cold weather making my eyes water. Wind-sealed eyewear took care of that problem. I also wouldn't waste money on trigger lock hardware. The big selling point is "no tools required!". When do you need to remove a windshield and don't have access to tools? BTW, the only tool needed for the standard hardware is a 2" long allen wrench. Loosen 4 bolts, lift off, tighten 4 bolts: done. Too bad my new Batwing only offered trigger lock. I haven't ridden with it yet (-6 F!), but I'm not convinced the system is as secure as the bolt system. Time will tell.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
I own the custom. If I wanted a 100% touring experience I would buy a big shield. I like having air, just dislike the pressure on my chest at highway speed. I went with the NC switchblade deflector. Excellent form factor for the custom, does everything I need in wind and rain, and is removable in one second from the time I grasp it. Switchblade tech is awesome.

ImageUploadedByMO Free1424543306.301453.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1424543337.537025.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
547 Posts
The Kawasaki OEM windshields are pricey but from my experience the Classic/LT is a better windshield than any of the aftermarket products. It is thicker and the curve does a nice job of protecting you from the elements.

Best advice is from Poncho, get the tall one and then cust it down.. Very easy to do...
lots of you tube videos...

·
Registered
357 Posts
Wild Bill, did I miss it? I don't see where you mention Classic or Custom. I have a Custom and personally, I think the Fats and the Slim look like hell with that narrow front end. I went with the Memphis Shades Big Shot back in '07 and I love the look. There's a minor problem with air coming up from under the shield, but it only bothered me in cold weather making my eyes water. Wind-sealed eyewear took care of that problem. I also wouldn't waste money on trigger lock hardware. The big selling point is "no tools required!". When do you need to remove a windshield and don't have access to tools? BTW, the only tool needed for the standard hardware is a 2" long allen wrench. Loosen 4 bolts, lift off, tighten 4 bolts: done. Too bad my new Batwing only offered trigger lock. I haven't ridden with it yet (-6 F!), but I'm not convinced the system is as secure as the bolt system. Time will tell.
Steve, I've had no issues with my MS going even 80 mph. The pressure from the air onto the fairing pretty much negates it ever coming off. I do take it off when I trailer it so having the disconnect helps.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I use the Kawa Cafe shield. Keeps the wind off the chest and doesn't detract from the look of the bike.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts